The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your thoughts on the Manley 16x2 mixer
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Your thoughts on the Manley 16x2 mixer

Not too many of you give their impression on Gearslutz. Have any other slutz fall for it?
I'm looking especially at the custom version with the 4 Aux, but if you don't use this one, you're still more than welcome to express yourself.

I'd say i'm personnaly tempted, but Geez, it's a lot of money for 16 chan summing without fader pack...and like most summing boxes, it doesn't have any eqs.

My other dilema is : Do i really want 16 tube channels or invest on a solid state summing box and add tube flavor via outboards when needed?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

ive got a friend who has one and says it rules.
Old 17th January 2007
Here for the gear

I have one and love it. I bought one used from a friend of mine (for a great price) that ran out of rack space, I think he regrets it. He's got one of the Tubetech summing mixers but he still says the Manley sounds the best. Also, there are only tubes on the 2buss, not on every channel. I got the 16 line, but sent it to Manley and had Gamma put 8 pres on it. For close to 10g it is kind of steep
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Nut

I say screw that piece and get the neve/ams new 16x2 for far less.

thats my thoughts from what Ive read.

then get a g384 ssl buss.

all for less than the manley.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltoforion View Post
I say screw that piece and get the neve/ams new 16x2 for far less.

thats my thoughts from what Ive read.

then get a g384 ssl buss.

all for less than the manley.
Have not hear the best about the Neve summer. I agree with the SSL G 384 or that center section 2-buss compressor, but the Dangerous 2-Buss is far closer to a pure path and the sound of a SSL.

For contect, I've owned both and the SSL board for a real world comparison. I can say FOR SURE that summing and the 2-buss compression KILLS ITB for depth, width and overall richness...contrary to another thread (not post here)

-a

DIRTY HALO www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I Had one, i think great for Jazz ,for urban not punchy enough, but none the less very nice mixer.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
My other dilema is : Do i really want 16 tube channels or invest on a solid state summing box and add tube flavor via outboards when needed?
For clarification, there's only 4 tubes in this unit stock. None, to my knowledge, exist with a tube on each mic pre.

I've had 2 different versions in my possession and I'm happy to have them out of my life. There always seemed to be some miscalibration here or there (making recalls hit or miss). They are also very difficult to sell. I highly recommend against the Manley. There's just too many options out there that are better.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
I highly recommend against the Manley. There's just too many options out there that are better.
Examples please?
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzzy View Post
Examples please?
•The Speck Lilo which is set up much more like a typical console, complete with large faders with tons of not only more features, but more useful ones that are all better designed to work with any gear you might already own. More in's, more outs, more options- all superior to the Manley.

•Chandler Limited mixer is cheaper and also better setup and thought out than the Manley while having much more useful features like a talkback mic/setup, etc.

•API modular mixer is more flexible, and can be more customized to fit your setup, and again is less expensive than the closet setup the Manley could come up with.

• A Rms Folcum setup is much, much cheaper, and you'd have an extra pair of (you choice) if mic pre's, which are an easier resale value than the manley, and could be used during tracking and perhaps swapped for some cheapy pre's during mix time (just another possibility).

• Dangerous 2 Mix- again more cost savvy than the Manley. I'm not exactly sure about the options these guys have these days, but for the money you'd save I'd look into it.

• Used Consoles- namely a Neotek. Even if this worked out to be a couple hundred more, it would be much better than a Manley because of it's layout, the features, and the fact that you'd be getting mic/line input options on every channel, multi-busses, and an EQ on every channel.

There's other options out there I haven't heard. Innertube makes a unit. Vintage Design makes a unit. Tube tech makes a unit. Spl makes a unit. And several more companies do as well. Even AMS Neve has a summing mixer that actually has a recall option. I'm not sure how much the unit is, but that option would make it something I'd check out 1st.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Nut

I have one and i must tell you that only the stereo bus is tubes. it is a great unit though i own the pre amp version and the pre amps are great sounding i use them for everything from vocals to drums. as a summing bus its great too so i dont know for the money you get 8 pre amps 8 line ins a summing box with 16 ins and tube bus. i think its a good deal and i rather use this one than a sterile slolid state unit.

chapiro

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search