The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ibis question
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

ibis question

is the ibis stepped gain or sweepable?
how does the color knob work? its a feedback thing? its not the same as the color tech on the HEDD is it?

thanks,
Kurt
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtr2 View Post
is the ibis stepped gain or sweepable?
how does the color knob work? its a feedback thing? its not the same as the color tech on the HEDD is it?

thanks,
Kurt
Depends on which model... the Mastering version is stepped but the regular version is not... however the "q" and "freq" knobs are stepped on both.
Old 16th January 2007

the Q is not stepped on the version I'm using on this session...
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

On the "normal" version just the frequencies are stepped. It is enough for me (comparing to paying 2k more for fully stepped buttons). What I miss quite a lot is bypassing separate bands ..

"Colour" is something different from the HEDD. It basically adds second and third harmonics (in some "esoteric" package). I hardly found anything which would not sound better when very mild level of colour is added. I often use Ibis just for the "colour"
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

the HEDD adds harmonics too, digitally. i am wondering how the ibis is different? is it a feedback circuit of some kind? it must be analog, yes?

i am glad the gain is not stepped, i find my api 550a to be too drastic at 2db steps.

i think i am going to go for the Ibis.
thanks,
,Kurt
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

Stepped gain on ibis is .5db increments- only 6db of cut boost available-
Old 15th February 2007

Since I have been getting a few phone calls and e-mails this week about the differences of the IBIS and IBIS mastering version, I thought I would post this to help and answer some questions.

On a standard version just the frequency knob is detented. The gain and bandwidth are sweepable. The standard version can cut or boost with a 12db range. On the mastering version all controls are detented with a 6db range for the boost/cut control in .5db steps. The color knob is an analog feedback loop that adds 2nd and 3rd frequency harmonics (or distortion if you prefer) to the selected band or the whole program.

If you have any more questions and/or comments, feel free to contact:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Scott
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranesong View Post
Since I have been getting a few phone calls and e-mails this week about the differences of the IBIS and IBIS mastering version, I thought I would post this to help and answer some questions.

On a standard version just the frequency knob is detented. The gain and bandwidth are sweepable. The standard version can cut or boost with a 12db range. On the mastering version all controls are detented with a 6db range for the boost/cut control in .5db steps. The color knob is an analog feedback loop that adds 2nd and 3rd frequency harmonics (or distortion if you prefer) to the selected band or the whole program.

If you have any more questions and/or comments, feel free to contact:

[email protected]

Thanks,

Scott
Thanks for that Scott.

The IBIS is brilliant!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search