The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need tips on chain for remote LE tracking on HD project
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Need tips on chain for remote LE tracking on HD project

I have an HD system in my place but my tracking room is not yet soundproofed. I need to track some heavy electric guitars for a metal band that I'm currently producing. Drums were tracked elsewhere and I've used Ampeg SVX and speaker sims for the bass tracks. Due to neighbors, I can't do guitars here and I'm looking for some tips on which gear to bring to another location where I can crank up the amps.

I have an Mbox 2 Pro which I'll have to use if I'm going to use LE (the other option would be to use Logic or DP with my Fireface 800 - but that would require transferring all the drum and bass tracks out of Pro Tools)

As far as easy to move pres, I think I'll bring my Great River ME-1. So, my main question is whether I should also bring the UA 2192 for the converters (I don't know how good the Mbox converters are...haven't used it yet), and if so, will I be able to run that into the Mbox via SPIDF?

Also, are there any other tips people have for remote guitar recording in this fashion. i.e. types of rooms to seek out (aside from "good sounding" ones, obviously) things to avoid, monitoring concerns, micing suggestions, Pro Tools LE issues, etc?

Thanks!
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKmusic View Post
As far as easy to move pres, I think I'll bring my Great River ME-1. So, my main question is whether I should also bring the UA 2192 for the converters (I don't know how good the Mbox converters are...haven't used it yet), and if so, will I be able to run that into the Mbox via SPIDF?
it might be a good idea to bring along the 2192. the Mbox2 converters are not bad, but they are nowhere as good as the UA. i actually think the Mbox2 converters are better than those on the 002; they are a newer design (i think) and it has gotten easier to make better and cheaper converters in the time between those releases. hell, they even won the 2006 TEC award for converter technology (but those reviews and awards are often biased/flawed).

if you bring the 2192 you should be able to use S/PDIF with the Mbox2. the only issue i am aware with here is monitoring the DAC output.
for proper monitoring you will need a way to control the volume (output) coming out of the 2192.
this can be accomplished with a line attenuator/volume control device such as the A-Designs ATTY ($100 and portable, good choice for field recording) or the (rackmountable) ATTY2'D.

hope this helps.
~j.d.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Also, are there any other tips people have for remote guitar recording in this fashion. i.e. types of rooms to seek out (aside from "good sounding" ones, obviously) things to avoid, monitoring concerns, micing suggestions, Pro Tools LE issues, etc?
Amplitube 2. I know...it's a plug-in but this thing sounds great! (And you don't need to worry about pissing off the neighbors)
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to need to get the ATTY or something comparable in order to use the UA with the Mbox. For now, I chose the following gear to do some remote guitar overdubs for the metal band and was very happy with the results....

amp: Rivera Knucklehead
cab: Hughes and Kettner 4x12 (w/ celestion greenbacks)
chain 1 - sm57 about 2" from cone>Great River ME1>aux in on Mbox
chain 2 - Pearlman TM 1 about 3' from cab>mbox mic input

I thought the Mbox looked like a piece of junk when I got it, especially when comparing it to the Fireface. However, I was pretty impressed with the sound quality, even sans my good converters.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search