SSL G Series
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Thrill! That's helpful.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnyc View Post

Back to the thread - do you think the C1 is a comp that imparts the SSL flavor?
Once again, we're back to the old: TRY-ONE-OUT-AND-SEE-FOR-YOURSELF (TOOASFYT) stage of the thread. There have been a lot of opinions expressed but the only way you're gonna know if it will work for YOU is to strap it on your mix buss and run your mix through it.

Good luck
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpnyc View Post
Thanks - if that's the one - I may get it and a smart to compare.

let me know when you get those in; if you're interested, i could bring by the 2500 to compare, you might be pleasantly surprised at how it does the ssl grab in feedforward mode but the tone is pure classic. i'd also be curious how the fatso sits in this family, i've yet to explore it's spank mode on two-buss.

if you're down for a little shootout party, i'd be totally game.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds great. I am waiting to hear back from Alan about modding a C1 with a side chain.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Nut

I can say that after owning it for a year I sold the fatso.

the g384 kicks all over it - if I wanted something "less ssl" sounding I have the variable-mu manley. Its the only piece of theirs I liked for what I'm going for soundwise.

sometimes I use them in together.

I love my distressors though and think they are better on the buss than the fatso if you want the empirical labs sound.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Beltoforio,

How do those SSL 5000 EQ and comp sound ??? i was about to purchase the Xrack stuff ( 8 EQ and comp )..just wondering how it compares. I he total recall is a big plus though. Anyways, If your rack is not sold on ebay, drop me an email, i might be interested. Thanks
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vudoo View Post
How do those SSL 5000 EQ and comp sound ??? i was about to purchase the Xrack stuff ( 8 EQ and comp )..just wondering how it compares. I he total recall is a big plus though.
I heard plenty o so-so reviews of the new xogic line althoug I have yet to try them. Its seems with gear like this the lower quality parts tax the quality of the re-issue style pieces. I can say that the 510 SSL comp kicks ass. Also the 502 EQ is solid, but not as good perhaps. but thats true with the SSL stuff all around right. great Comps, so-so EQs. Id on a bet go with older 5000 series over the new **** but thats a guess, havent used them. total recall is cool, but at what cost? heard bad **** about the new buss compressor though. I have another rack for sale... It has 4 channels of SSL 502 EQ's and 4 channels of SSL 510 comps and is built into a 8x2 analog summer from cyril at raindirk audio. I have 8 502's and 8 510's with 16x2 summer which Im keeping. I like the unit. If you have interest PM me.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Wich new Xlogic stuff have you heard that got bad rep ??? I only heard great feedback on the new X-rack loaded with EQ and Comp but i definitely want to try them out before buying. Ther's no way i'd spend that kind of $$ without trying.
Hey i'm very interested in your 4 EQ/comp + 8x2 summer you have for sale. Please email me with more info and prices. Thanks

[email protected]
Old 17th January 2007
Solid State Logic

The compressors in the XRack are the finest I have ever used - they are the monkey's nuts!

Obviously, I'm likely to say this.......... but this is my "ssl hat off" user's opinion.

There seems to be a suspicious "Audiojunkie" taste about the sudden amount of "racks made by Raindirk" posts popped up in this thread. Please accept my apologies if I have jumped the gun on this Beltoforion, but this rings some nasty bells with me....

....Although that may be the jetlag, as I'm currently in Anaheim for NAMM and my sleep pattern is horribly disrupted :-(
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

xlogic g buss comp

Dear [email protected],
Could you please give us some more info regarding the differences between the new xlogic g comp and the previous SSL GFX 384? Thanx, Joe
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Jim,

What are your '' SSL hats off '' opinion of the X-Rack EQ and line mixer ???
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Simple compare, C1, C2, classic SSL 384 v. new SSl G-series

C1- Closest thing Alan Smart creation to the "classic" SSL 4000G 2-buss sound. Not exact, but darn close.

C2 -Alans' own thing, his idea on how to improve on the SSL 2-buss. More hi-fi sounding. Damn good, but it's now its own animal. Think SSL-ish, but improvements, not "classic."

SSL FX G384 (grey face) THE closest to getting "that" classic SSL sound (if that is your goal and short of getting a full console, as Thrill ponted out). It IS the 2-bus compressor.thumbsup

New SSL X-rack series of the single rack SSL G-series - A good attempt, but not as strong as the C1 or the SSL 384.

(in my opinion)

Context is king: I owned Alan Smart's C2- that things ROCKS! Alan is top notch and when I exprssed my desire to trade for a C1, he was 100% willing... I was after "that" sound. Eventually I had to submit and finally just get a older SSL FX G384 to satisfy my need to get to "that" sound... (I can see the C2 AND a 384 living in harmony, they are two different animals.)

Now, Thrill is right, the SSL "sound is the sum of it's part... a board, BUT the right 2-buss compressor is as close you as you're going to get without getting some version of an actual SSL board.

Hope that helps!

-andrews

www.dirtyhalo.com
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

This is all really valuable. thanks so much. BTW - I would never think of comparing the Fatso to the SSL or the STC-8 - but I recently used it on the drum sub-mix and it still is a great piece of gear IMHO.

I am awaiting word on time/price for the C1 with sidechain.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
C1- Closest thing Alan Smart creation to the "classic" SSL 4000G 2-buss sound. Not exact, but darn close.

C2 -Alans' own thing, his idea on how to improve on the SSL 2-buss. More hi-fi sounding. Damn good, but it's now its own animal. Think SSL-ish, but improvements, not "classic."

SSL FX G384 (grey face) THE closest to getting "that" classic SSL sound (if that is your goal and short of getting a full console, as Thrill ponted out). It IS the 2-bus compressor.thumbsup

New SSL X-rack series of the single rack SSL G-series - A good attempt, but not as strong as the C1 or the SSL 384.

(in my opinion)

Context is king: I owned Alan Smart's C2- that things ROCKS! Alan is top notch and when I exprssed my desire to trade for a C1, he was 100% willing... I was after "that" sound. Eventually I had to submit and finally just get a older SSL FX G384 to satisfy my need to get to "that" sound... (I can see the C2 AND a 384 living in harmony, they are two different animals.)

Now, Thrill is right, the SSL "sound is the sum of it's part... a board, BUT the right 2-buss compressor is as close you as you're going to get without getting some version of an actual SSL board.

Hope that helps!

-andrews

www.dirtyhalo.com
Great. A nice good clean (or should I say "dirty?) summary. That about does it for me! How 'bout you, jumpnyc?

Thanks Halo!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

yeah - I'm definitely set. This was a very informative thread.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There seems to be a suspicious "Audiojunkie" taste about the sudden amount of "racks made by Raindirk" posts popped up in this thread. Please accept my apologies if I have jumped the gun on this Beltoforion, but this rings some nasty bells with me....
I believe Raindirk is now supplying these racks for the SSL 5000 modules independently of Audiojunkie. Funky Junk in London is selling them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I thought it might be worth pointing out that the model you are referring to is actually called the SSL XLogic G-Series Compressor, which is not be confused with the SSL X-Rack Dynamics Module, which is based on the XL 9000 channel dynamics. X-Rack is the new modular system with Total Recall, whereas XLogic is the name given to SSL's enitre current range of outboard processors, including the new version of the G-Series Compressor.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search