The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ATTN: Adam S3A users with sub
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

ATTN: Adam S3A users with sub

Hi. Just got some S3A's and I'm loving them so far. Previously I was using Dynaudio BM15a's which didn't require a sub. While I like the Adam's more, they definately need a sub woofer. So I grabbed the Polk Audio 12" sub from my home theater rig and wired it up. Sounds good so far. I'm rolling it off at 60hz. It seems to work well in this room, but just out of curiosity....

Where do you low-pass your subwoofer?

thanks
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by godcity View Post
Hi. Just got some S3A's and I'm loving them so far. Previously I was using Dynaudio BM15a's which didn't require a sub. While I like the Adam's more, they definately need a sub woofer. So I grabbed the Polk Audio 12" sub from my home theater rig and wired it up. Sounds good so far. I'm rolling it off at 60hz. It seems to work well in this room, but just out of curiosity....

Where do you low-pass your subwoofer?

thanks
I have the 2.5A's (slightly larger woofer than the 3A's) and I roll off at 85hz into a ADAM sub10
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

That sounds about right. FYI, you need to spend some time and make sure you locate your sub in the perfect spot, where you get an accurate bottom end frequency response. It you have never done this then I suggest hiring someone who has. It isn't rocket science, but there are a lot of variables. If it's your first time you could end up totally lost pretty easily.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear
have S3As and BM15s + sub. when i tried using the Dynaudio sub with the Adams it sounded terrible (didn't experiment with moving the sub around as suggested by Zwinter, just left it as is, and left the cutoff point the same - think it's around 80/90Hz).

will have to try again measuring properly, but for now i use S3As for defintion and Dynaudios+sub for checking low end.

--------

edit: tried again, took the time to set up properly and measure, and they very measured quite well. the room is treated BTW.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search