The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
TLM ??? - ME-1NV - Ensemble
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

TLM ??? - ME-1NV - Ensemble

hey guys i'm new around here. i've been doing lost of library/theme work for espn, spike tv and nbc as of late, but am now getting involved with recording pop and rock vocals in my studio. i just got the ensemble (which is a killer sounding unit, minus a few bugs) and going to buy the great river single pre. this way i will have the apogee ("clean") preamps and 1 great river ("warm/dirty") pre.

now i need 1 LDC mic to cover mostly male and female vox, as well as ac. guitar, and once in a while a violin/sax/horns/other accoustic instruments. essentially i'm looking for comments from great river/apogee owners who can nominate a "do-all" LCD that they've found sounds great with these pre's. willing to spend $1500. my taste in vocal tracks are doobies/matchbox twenty (producer matt serletic is genius)/john mayer.

currently eyeing the tlm47, tlm193, Gefell M930, soundelux ifet, soundelux195. what say we?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I like the Gefell M930 for the $$$
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

how about the Pearlman TM-1? absolutely killer microphone..
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

thanks for the suggestions guys. after further research i've narrowed it down to these 3 mics:

peluso p12 - $1200
soundelux 195 - $1400
gefell umt71s = $1125

all recieve extremely high praise in these forums and are in my price range. the pearlman is a tad too expensive. does anyone know whether the p12, 195, or the umt71s come with a shockmount? also, i've heard many audiophiles here comment that a tube mic for under $2K is a TOOB mic (not worth buying). should i steer away from the p12 then?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Vintage Neumann-Gefell might be an option For instance the CMV 563 with M7 capsule or a m582 with m71 capsule. Both under 2K. Very nice for female vocals and acoustics...

All tube mics.....
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikjamesmusic View Post
also, i've heard many audiophiles here comment that a tube mic for under $2K is a TOOB mic (not worth buying). should i steer away from the p12 then?
you've been listening to Fletcher!
no i would keep the p12 on your list.

you've got three great mics there to choose from.

~j.d.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

gotcha. i saw a few professionals (who've sold over 50 million records) on here rave about that gefell utm line...i'm leaning towards that, although I'm not sure many singers would be comfortable singing into a mic with a shape like gefell's. singers are funny about the weirdest stuff sometimes. the p12 looks great on paper, but i've never owned a tube mic before...are they a bitch as far a maintenence goes?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

The 193 and the ME1nv do NOT match well. I like both pieces...but, it's not a good combo, IMO.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd say the most versatile option and a good match with the Great River would be the Gefell UMT70S (multi-pattern) or MT71S (cardioid-only). Although the M930 is a great mic, I think the 70/71 a tad-bit better. The M7 capsule makes it a little smoother, a little silkier on the high-end, and gives the mids the classic Neumann/German character. If you said you were just doing instruments, I'd go with the 930 because it's such a wonderful all-around studio transducer, but if you're doing male and female vocals as-well, the 70/71 is the better choice. And actually the MT71S is about the same price as the M930. The UMT70 is more money, but still very reasonable for a 3-pattern mic when compared to a new U87, for instance. thumbsup
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Nut

that gefell 71s looks mighty tempting. anyone vote for the soundelux 195 or the peluso p12 OVER the gefell as an all-around mic? reasons?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

go gefell

the Gefell is a great all round mic, great on instruments too, and not too pricey. Should hold its value or go up too over time. FORGET about the new Neumann TLM47, crap. I would rather use my TLM103 than that POS new TLM47. I have an M149 and though it is out of your price range at the moment, keep that in mind later, it does it all for me.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

PS: I think the Soundelux are nice mics but because they use a very thin (3 micron) capsul, they are very sensitive but a bit bright and shrill to me, sibilance can be a problem. I think if they used a thicker capsul the mic would be great.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

thanks guys. i'm going with the gefell 71s. i'm sure i won't be dissapointed, and should be able to get a great variety of tones with my great river and apogee pres. yay for my first thread! am i officially a slut now?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search