The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peluso P12 vs Pearlman TM1
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Peluso P12 vs Pearlman TM1

Does anyone have both the Peluso P12 and the Pearlman TM1? If so, are you willing to record and post some comparisons between the 2?

Graciously!
Stevetothink
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

Stevetothink -

There is an active discussion going on here: https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/102708-peluso-users.html
in which we are discussing the P12 (or any Peluso mic) with different pre-amps. A fellow slut by the name of zootdaze mentioned he just received a P12 and had a Pealman as well. I am not sure if he has done any in depth comparisons yet, but come on over and join the party!

Cheers,

Minor 7
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

This is what I asked is that thread, and is still unanswered:

Question:
If I have a Pearlman TM-1 (wich I love), what would be a nice Peluso partner? I mean, I want to know which Peluso is similar to a TM-1 so I can look the other way.

My eyes are kind of fixed in that P12...
Anyone?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post

Question:
If I have a Pearlman TM-1 (wich I love), what would be a nice Peluso partner? I mean, I want to know which Peluso is similar to a TM-1 so I can look the other way.

Anyone?
Well, I can't speak for your TM-1, nor for the P12 since mine isn't due to arrive for a few more days. That being said, I spoke to my Peluso dealer at length about the P12 as compared to the 2247 and 2247 LE. From what I understand, tonally the P12 is less full in the low end and brighter on top than the 2247's, and less bright than the 251. It is said to have more of a scooped mid which makes it ideal for vocal tracks where the vocal is more part of the mix as opposed to dominating it. The brighter top end is said to make it stand out easily without being harsh or sibilant.

I frequently hear the TM-1 compared to the 2247 LE, but I don't know if this is because the TM-1 is also based on the U47, or simply because they are the same price.

My dealer agreed to let me return my P12 for the 2247 if it didn't work out for me, so perhaps you should just give it a shot?

-Chris
Old 21st January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post

Question:

Anyone?
I would recommend the 251 as it would give you a better tonal contrast to the TM-1. I own all the mics in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrulesmore View Post
Well, I can't speak for your TM-1, nor for the P12 since mine isn't due to arrive for a few more days. That being said, I spoke to my Peluso dealer at length about the P12 as compared to the 2247 and 2247 LE. From what I understand, tonally the P12 is less full in the low end and brighter on top than the 2247's, and less bright than the 251. It is said to have more of a scooped mid which makes it ideal for vocal tracks where the vocal is more part of the mix as opposed to dominating it. The brighter top end is said to make it stand out easily without being harsh or sibilant.

I frequently hear the TM-1 compared to the 2247 LE, but I don't know if this is because the TM-1 is also based on the U47, or simply because they are the same price.

My dealer agreed to let me return my P12 for the 2247 if it didn't work out for me, so perhaps you should just give it a shot?

-Chris
The P12 has a lot more lows & lower mids than the 251. I wouldn't call the mids scooped. On tracks that I recorded with the 251, I never had to pull any mids or lows out.. I had to cut the low mids on a lot of hip hop stuff I did with the P12, where the 251 would be set flat. I think it's a good R&B mic, probably the best all-arounder in some ways. But, I find the extended top end of the 251 better for most things, or the 47 LE better for everything else. Play around with it, though... It might work well for you. If it was up to me, I would buy the 251 & 47 LE and call it a day. That's a combo that can handle pretty much any singer, rapper, lyricist, rocker you could throw at them. They are my main vocal mics at this point.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks guys.
Nice info Tony!
Old 22nd January 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

Don't know about the 251, but my P12 is definitely very different from the Pearlman. BUt perhaps the 251 is even more different as Tony mentions.
Personally, I would like to have the 251, so I have all three!

But I was really surprised at how good the P12 was. I did not like the 47Le for some reason. Liked the Pearlman more for that type of sound.

I assume Tony thinks the P12 is no slouch as well if I am remembering his past posts correctly.
Old 22nd January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB3 View Post
Don't know about the 251, but my P12 is definitely very different from the Pearlman. BUt perhaps the 251 is even more different as Tony mentions.
Personally, I would like to have the 251, so I have all three!

But I was really surprised at how good the P12 was. I did not like the 47Le for some reason. Liked the Pearlman more for that type of sound.

I assume Tony thinks the P12 is no slouch as well if I am remembering his past posts correctly.
They are all good mics.

I think the 251 is a better tonal contrast to the 47 LE or TM-1. They would be like salt & pepper.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Well I bought the 2246LE and I'm just waiting for it to arrive. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search