The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
ADL 1000 / Summit TLA-100A comparison
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

ADL 1000 / Summit TLA-100A comparison

alrighty,

im about to buy an MC-77 and a complimentary tube optical limiter, primarily for tracking vox and bass.

i would buy a UA LA-2A reissue but can get either the ADL 1000 or Summit TLA-100A for about half the price, which is looking very good and go-for-it right now.

so, can anyone compare the two, preferably on the basis of experience?

musical styles will be mainly rock / & roll, from blues through to metal.

vox tracking is THE primary concern.

mics / pres will be top notch; gefell, neumann, coles, daking, wunder.

any input greatly appreciated,

thanks,

regards,

richie.
Old 16th January 2007
the TLA 100 rolls off the top, the ADL 1000 rolls off the bottom
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

hmmm...

well, which of these roll-offs is the more drastic?

is the LA-2A really that much better than either in this respect?

im looking for the BIG rock and roll vocal MOJO thing, U87>PEQ1R>MC-77>Fat Tube Opto.

any other opinions?

i really can't drop the coin on the LA-2A, fo shame, fo damn shame.

thanks,

regads,

richie.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

CL1-B maybe ?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

The TLA 100 rolls off the top untill it begins to compress...then it opens up

I was surprised when speaking with the Engineer for The Three Tenors...he was using Schoeps mics...into Millennia HV3's...and TLA100's...and i thought the HV3's and TLA's had widely different bandwith...untill he explained how the voice popped out with no noise due to the apparent sliding HF filter once under compression.

We have also paired the TLA100 with the API 512 for a local well known Grammy producer Rudy Perez...the hits speak for themself
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
The TLA 100 rolls off the top untill it begins to compress...then it opens up

I was surprised when speaking with the Engineer for The Three Tenors...he was using Schoeps mics...into Millennia HV3's...and TLA100's...and i thought the HV3's and TLA's had widely different bandwith...untill he explained how the voice popped out with no noise due to the apparent sliding HF filter once under compression.

We have also paired the TLA100 with the API 512 for a local well known Grammy producer Rudy Perez...the hits speak for themself
I had one for years and I NEVER found that to be the case, and why does it roll off the top in bypass? I'd use it on whatever I wanted to darken. The same way if I want to thin something out I'll use the ADL 1000, which for me is usually on group background vocals. This is not to say you can't make a record with it or get a good sound, but you'll probably have to eq more to compensate.
The CL1b does not thin out or darken your audio, neither do most good compressors.
To me it's much nicer than the TLA 100 but you'll pay more than you will for either an ADL 1000 or a TLA 100 which by the way is a hybrid tube -solid state compressor.
Old 16th January 2007
the ADL is crunchy and colored.. its more of an "effect" than a workhorse... but it can be a REALLY cool effect on the right source.. generally anything i want to "crunch up" i'd run thru this.. like say drum samples.. anything artificial

the TLA-100 is much smoother for compression.. useful on snare drum, female vocals...

both boxes are ridiculously easy to use
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

My clients prefer the CL1B as well....but its more expensive and as noted the TLA100 is "ridiculously easy to use".

We had loaned one to a well known reggae band who owned the ADL...when i tried to recover it they decided to buy it as it "blows away the ADL"
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
My clients prefer the CL1B as well....but its more expensive and as noted the TLA100 is "ridiculously easy to use".

We had loaned one to a well known reggae band who owned the ADL...when i tried to recover it they decided to buy it as it "blows away the ADL"
Of course, who but a reggae band is not going to mind the top being rolled off.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search