The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 2500 for acoustic mix buss? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd October 2015
Gear Maniac

API 2500 for acoustic mix buss?

I've long been a fan of an SSL buss comp on the mix buss for faster, punchier rock songs; that being said, I've never been that fond if it on slower, acoustic based music (Beck's Sea Change being an obvious example). Would the 2500 work well here, or is it mostly suited for more aggressive work?

I know the Vari Mu is a popular choice for this sort of material, but it's a bit out of my price range. Maybe an opto? Inward Connections just released a stereo Brute that looks promising. The Buzz DBC20 also seems cool.

If a 2500 excels at both, I might grab one and relegate the SSL clone to drum buss work.

Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 23rd October 2015
Lives for gear
Think about the AML 54f50. IMO it's amazing for acoustic guitar. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOLirn1AXKY
Old 23rd October 2015
Lives for gear

I think it's amazing for just that. Adds thickness and tone - especially the 10:1 old mode setting works nice for slower things. It's really a great piece and complements the ssl nicely. They both do something the other doesn't
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasso View Post
I think it's amazing for just that. Adds thickness and tone - especially the 10:1 old mode setting works nice for slower things. It's really a great piece and complements the ssl nicely. They both do something the other doesn't
That sounds good. I'm looking for color and a certain weight, particularily for slower tunes where the bass can really bloom.
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

You might also consider the Portico compressor. Very much in the same vein, especially in feedback mode. Stereo, half-rack, and you can buy them used now for around a grand.
Old 24th October 2015
I'd stick with API for drum bus, I like it better there in general. Just my 2 cents, I personally think it's a bit heavy handed for two bus, especially acoustic music. It's a great piece in general though, and you probably want to try it on your music to know either way.

For acoustic based music I personally like the Mu sound. You might want to check out a pair of IGS TubeCore 500 units. If the rack versions of the Manley or IGS (which are in the sub $4k range) are out of budget - the IGS TubeCore 500 pair (they are mono units) might be well within budget since they are just shy of $2400 for a stereo pair (plus the API 500 style rack, the Fredenstein Bento 6 is a great value). They sound the same as their big 3u rack unit, but with less features (like precision switches or mid side linking which is slanted more towards mastering and you may not need).
Old 24th October 2015
Lives for gear

Try and get a demo / 30 day return, but the 2500 is really cool... has so many options from width, old / new modes, sidechain etc..
Not chippy built / sounding like many of the stereo mix compressors out there..
The Inward connections is just a limiter which would be cool on some instruments more than a whole mix.
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I use it almost exclusively on vocals and acoustic instruments. Never really understood the API only for aggressive rock thing. A good comp is a good comp. I also use mine for tracking. Just a great 70s vibe. Thickens and adds something special. There may be cheaper alternatives out there. But never felt the need to comparison shop.
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Head

On sweeter/acoustic music I flick off the red gain switch and it cleans things up a tad. I make up the gain with a clean (Buzz Audio) EQ. Works for me as an all-rounder.

Cheers - lemongum
Old 24th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Alright. I'm sold on the 2500. Thanks.
Old 25th October 2015
Lives for gear

I've never heard the API, but for the acoustic stuff I do, it's Pendulum OCL/2 or RNP 5043 on feedback mode.
Old 25th October 2015
Gear Maniac

You may want to check out the nail by a designs . It's been a great tool . I know theirs a bunch of videos on that piece . Good luck
Old 6th November 2015
Here for the gear
Howdy, API 2500 & Pendulum ES-8 both are killer compressors. API i LOVE for acoustics,,,
Adios
Old 6th November 2015
Lives for gear

Another +1 - the 2500 is definitely a multi-trick pony
Old 6th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Pendulum. Perfect. Especially love the 6386 for acoustic stuff.
Old 7th November 2015
Lives for gear

API 2500, yes please.
Old 8th November 2015
Lives for gear

API 2500 compressor is certainly a unit that in the either / or category always seems to be a case of those whom have lived with one swear buy it and if not on the master Bus then certainly on the Drum Bus etc. I've often wondered if some people who bought a 2500 almost gave up on it too soon expecting instant magic? The 2500 in my opinion has always been a must have Compressor for certain styles and if not on the master Bus then certainly Drum Bus, Guitar Bus (Electric Guitars) and as a utility near anywhere. Certainly for that Nu Metal and Indie type band sound it's a must have, kind of like every thing should go through it!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search