The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SSL Duende is here to stay!!
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Head

Hi everybody!

I borrowed the SSL duende for a test last week and I must say i´m super stoked!!
I work normaly on swedish national radio and I´ve mixed hundreds of live concerts on our SSL 4000G+. I´ve took some multitrack sessions home and loaded them thru the duende plugins and just after I begin to process the Kick I felt immediatly that I was home. It was very close to the way I normaly work with the 4000G+. The results of the mixes was just what I could wish for! I think it´s even more versatile than the real thing since u have so many more options! I must also tell every one I´m not biased! I just love ssl, and I feel very much at home with the way I have been working before. Compared to the Waves plugins
Duende sounds much more open and airy! I thin the waves ssl sounds a little bit harsh and brute for my taste.

Hank
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

How is the processing power of the unit itself . . . seemless? Any problems?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

What system are you running it on ???
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Head

Hi!

I have a PC with a athlon x2 3800+ processor windows xp service pack 2
2 gb ram asus sli premium motherboard with nforce 4 chipset. Motu 2408 mk2 soundcard with buffers set to 128.

The FW chipset is texas instruments and it is on the mobo! nothing else is connected to the FW port!

Everything worded perfect right away!

I´ve used 30 monochannelstrips and 1 stereobus compressor
Old 15th January 2007
Gött....får ta och testa snart oxå....
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Good to hear! I'm waiting for a unit myself to check it out. Hopefully it will come this week along with my Uad and LiquidMix
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

How about latency, it's firewire right? There must be some, how are you dealing with this? I am on Protools HD, will it work with that? thanks!
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindell View Post
Gött....får ta och testa snart oxå....

Du! Snackade med Mattias Glavå om Focal monitorerna! Han va mäkta impad!
Vi skulle försöka ta en lyssning nån dag i januari!
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatboi View Post
How about latency, it's firewire right? There must be some, how are you dealing with this? I am on Protools HD, will it work with that? thanks!
I´ve worked with nuendo and nuendo has full latency compensation on everything so there wher no problem! If you are using it in liveinput mode I´ll guess there would be some issuses but i´m not sure!
Old 16th January 2007
In ProTools anyway, Duende is automatically bypassed when a track containing Duende is record-enabled. When you switch out of record it re-engages Duende. This is not the case for Aux track of course, which will always need to be manually disengaged when recording through it. Duende is meant to be a machine for mixing, not for tracking.
Old 16th January 2007
SSL UK

I was at Swedish radio not too long ago.

Thay have some lovely studios.

Glad to hear the Duende is working out.

Best wishes,

Sam Wetmore

SSL

Last edited by [email protected]; 16th January 2007 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: spelling!
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Häffans.

Skaffa precis en LM och det får nog bli en Duenderburk me snart. heh

Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

Is this a Svensk forum now?

Hedoch, Julian
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Bork bork bork!

Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankloose View Post
Hi everybody!

I borrowed the SSL duende for a test last week and I must say i´m super stoked!!
I work normaly on swedish national radio and I´ve mixed hundreds of live concerts on our SSL 4000G+. I´ve took some multitrack sessions home and loaded them thru the duende plugins and just after I begin to process the Kick I felt immediatly that I was home. It was very close to the way I normaly work with the 4000G+. The results of the mixes was just what I could wish for! I think it´s even more versatile than the real thing since u have so many more options! I must also tell every one I´m not biased! I just love ssl, and I feel very much at home with the way I have been working before. Compared to the Waves plugins
Duende sounds much more open and airy! I thin the waves ssl sounds a little bit harsh and brute for my taste.

Hank
Nice... I thought it was based more on C200/ J series... Not 4000G. Glad your kickin it with AMD ok.. I'm X2 4800+ and Asus A8V Deluxe so I should be good to go as well.. Thanks.heh
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmySX View Post
Good to hear! I'm waiting for a unit myself to check it out. Hopefully it will come this week along with my Uad and LiquidMix
dosen´t work with UAD over here. Duende sounds great, but i had to sell it, can´t wait anymore until the driver worx fine.

Logic Pro/Mac G5 2Ghz
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yea, on eBay!
Old 17th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Nice... I thought it was based more on C200/ J series... Not 4000G.
You are correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigolo Tony View Post
dosen´t work with UAD over here. Duende sounds great, but i had to sell it, can´t wait anymore until the driver worx fine.

Logic Pro/Mac G5 2Ghz
Works fine over here with a dual 1.8 G5 & Logic... no UAD, though.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Works fine here with Logic Dual 2gig + UAD + powercore pci mkI, mkII and firewire.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigolo Tony View Post

Logic Pro/Mac G5 2Ghz
That's a petty. I'm on PC so maybe the 2 can live side by side.
I'll let you know if it works out!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Nice... I thought it was based more on C200/ J series... Not 4000G.
Actually, the Duende is based on the C200 which emulates E/G. These answers are really easy to find on SSL's website. There's no mention of the J anywhere. The Duende doesn't really sound or feel like a J anyway...
Old 17th January 2007
Solid State Logic

Not entirely true, but close.....

Duende uses the same DSP platform as the C200.
C200 was not designed to emulate an E/G, but does have E/G EQ curves in.

If anything, the C200 sounds more like a J or a K than it does an E or a G.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Not entirely true, but close.....

Duende uses the same DSP platform as the C200.
C200 was not designed to emulate an E/G, but does have E/G EQ curves in.

If anything, the C200 sounds more like a J or a K than it does an E or a G.
It's hard to argue with a guy from SSL, but I don't hear the J thing in the eq's at all. This is what it says on the C200 page of your website -

"Processing is dedicated to every channel so there's no need to assign resources at the start of the setup, and emulations such as the SSL 'E' and 'G' Series EQ, and 'Quad' compressor, provide familiar and great sounding audio tools."
Old 18th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.dizzle View Post
It's hard to argue with a guy from SSL, but I don't hear the J thing in the eq's at all. This is what it says on the C200 page of your website -

"Processing is dedicated to every channel so there's no need to assign resources at the start of the setup, and emulations such as the SSL 'E' and 'G' Series EQ, and 'Quad' compressor, provide familiar and great sounding audio tools."
What's the problem - he said the C200 has E/G EQ curves - the blurb from SSL's website says it has E/G emulations. Same thing, no?

Then he added (what seems to be his own opinion) that it sounds more like a J or K, probably based on the eq when the E/G emulation isn't engaged. I personally don't think it's so dissimilar to a J/K.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

How well can this thing coexist with UAD-1's and a Fireface 800?

I'm also using an Asus A8V Deluxe.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem View Post
How well can this thing coexist with UAD-1's and a Fireface 800?

I'm also using an Asus A8V Deluxe.

Not good at all. I tried to use it with 2 UAD cards and my Fireface 800 and had ZERO luck. Did all the troubleshooting you can possibly imagine.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I see you have a Liquid Mix--you had better luck with that?

I'd consider a Duende very seriously if I knew it could get along with my present gear.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Maniac

duende & DP

I've been trying to use Duende w/ DP 5.11 on G5 Quad, 2xUAD-1e cards, PowerCore FW, Motu traveler and its NOT happening. Duende so far still doesn't officially support DP, but you have to look pretty deep on the SSL website to find that info... It sounds amazing, but its just not solid. I'm really surprised a company like SSL would let the Duende out when its still so underdeveloped. Makes me wary of all their whole new 'project level' gear...

: (
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

Svensk nörd-attack! Skånska hälsningar från danmark!

Tobbe
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like they tried to hard to get it out fast that's a shame.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search