Gearslutz

Gearslutz (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   High End (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/)
-   -   SSL Duende is here to stay!! (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/103910-ssl-duende-here-stay.html)

Slogun 18th January 2007 10:00 PM

Absolutely love my Duende as well. Fitting nicely beside my Powercore FW and the Sony plugs jkthtyrt

Mikem 18th January 2007 10:15 PM

Interesting that it works beside another FW device. Any issues there? PC or Mac? Mobo? Audio interface?

I'm curious to see a description of a working setup.

elambo 19th January 2007 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faderjockey (Post 1077565)
Looks like they tried to hard to get it out fast that's a shame.

No - there are quotes like the one above yours from AlexKemp ("I'm really surprised a company like SSL would let the Duende out when its still so underdeveloped") that are only from personal experience and opinion. A minor sampling of the world's users. Mine and the experience of many others has been vastly different from that. I've made it quite obvious throughout this forum that I have 4 Duendes on 4 different machines that are working great with ProTools. No issues that are unexpected

And the lack of support for DP is clearly marked. No deep searching necessary. This has become a place to vent frustrations over that fact.

Why this box gets so much slack I'll never understand. Perhaps a lot of people use it, love it, can't get it to work properly with their system, then trash it as SSL's problem. Sad because it's outstanding.

elambo 19th January 2007 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem (Post 1078214)
Interesting that it works beside another FW device. Any issues there? PC or Mac? Mobo? Audio interface?

One Duende is sharing a FW bus with a video card, another is sharing with a video card and two hard drives, another is sharing FW with one hard drive, another is on it's own dedicated bus. All are good. Each system is a Mac G5 with most current OS and most current Duende software/firmware.

preben 19th January 2007 11:05 AM

And it's working here with a poco firewire AND 2 Lacie HD's on the G5's own firewire bus. I'm not streaming audio or anything like that from the Lacie's but they there holding samples and sort of thing.

After 6 months use my system seemed to be getting a little touchy for some reason and after talking to SSL I decided (must to my despair) to clean install everything - I had legacy logic stuff back to Logic 6 on the machine as well as old OSX stuff that had just been updated 'automatically' over the years so it wasn't a bad idea at all (and MUCH easier than I'd feared backup wise etc etc - OSX is GOOD for those kinds of things).

After the clean install everything is working perfectly - and furthermore the OS just seems more snappy and happy.

As soon as SSL work out how to have 2 Duendes running simultaneously I'm off the shop. Or better still: I'll be picking one up from one of the people saying how cr*p it is jkthtyrt

Slogun 19th January 2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikem (Post 1078214)

Mac with Apogee Rosetta 800 X-FW

Mikem 19th January 2007 09:02 PM

I'm a PC user, so I guess I'm interested in hearing about working PC setups, particularly involving UAD-1's and/or FF800's. heppy