The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 16th November 2012
Ok that's very interesting - thanks for sharing your experience...
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Sold my Anamod
Using Slate VTM these days
Not as versatile but Really like it
Haha, well, RB sold it to me, and now I'm pretty sure I can't live without it...
I have VTM too, but IMHO you can't track with it due to the latency, so that's really only available as a mixing tool (and for whatever reason, VTM hasn't found its way into my regular setup... maybe it will at some point.) That's where ATS still really shines over software - you can track with it and impart a lot of different sonic characters quickly - we have tape machines too but sometimes you just need to move faster than spooling up tape...
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Maniac

The one thing about the ATS though is that it will be compatible with every OS update and new computer purchase you ever make...
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes IMO it sounds a bit different but as good.
multiple instances itb is really winning it for me.
+1
Sold also mine ATS
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Guru

Chris is dead on about the tracking/multiple flavors part.
And for that i WILL miss the ATS.
Also VTM @96k can hit your CPU pretty hard
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Chris is dead on about the tracking/multiple flavors part.
And for that i WILL miss the ATS.
Also VTM @96k can hit your CPU pretty hard
Well, Hunter, you will always have visitation rites
Old 17th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtreeCT View Post
Well, Hunter, you will always have visitation rites
heh
Old 17th November 2012
Lives for gear

Chris's point is just as valid as Roundbadge's. It just comes down to what works best for your situation.

I like the fact of no latency and never having to upgrade the OS or plugin. That's why I use a Radar. or, I can record, export it out and fix it on a computer if I like. It's good to have options.

But, I smile every time someone talks about having to upgrade their Computer to run the latest plugins. New computer means new OS, which means new plugins, which sometime means new hardware to talk to the computer (Iloks, AD converters).. etc...

Over at my place....384 meg of Ram running a pentium 3 celeron running BeOS operating system for the last 10 years and still going strong. Feel the same about the Anamod..

Diff strokes for diff folks..

Old 17th November 2012
Never fails that somebody takes it there. Even when, "there" isn't necessarily where things were headed.
Old 17th November 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post

But, I smile every time someone talks about having to upgrade their Computer to run the latest plugins. New computer means new OS, which means new plugins, which sometime means new hardware to talk to the computer (Iloks, AD converters).. etc...
Yeah, but gotta keep in mind that the upgrades usually come with new functionalities and options.
Old 18th November 2012
Lives for gear

I actually "took it there" to prove a point that what works for me doesn't work for someone else. Nothing more nothing less.

Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Sorry to have to bring this thread up from the dead but I need some audio samples of an Anamod ATS-1-Not Did read most the thread though.

Have a few questions I need to ask users. Already asking one good old guy who owns one and he thinks it is nice but want more opinions.
Recently I had the opportunity to listen to a real Ampex. I had this guy run some 909 drums through an Ampex for me live. It was simply awesome sounding, and the saturation was great especially when he hit it hard.
I am no tape guru but honestly if it meant I could run my 909 machine through this, I would do it all day long. Except here is the issue maintenance and not really up on this.
So I figure the Anamod could be considered as a replacement for an Ampex or am I simply fooling myself?
I hear the Anamod sounds just like the real thing, and in many cases you would not know the difference. So based on this I would be happy to buy one instead of a real tape machine.
So users one question I have is does it really saturate like good ol tape does?
Would love to hear from users who are still using this years later.
My plan is to use it on each individual track.
I also own a Culture Vulture and a Fatso and a few other goodies but to me none of these units sound like the Ampex I heard recently.
Thanks guys.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Last edited by Looneytune; 21st October 2013 at 05:32 AM.. Reason: it double posted GS Did!!!
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looneytune View Post
Sorry to have to bring this thread up from the dead but I need some audio samples of an Anamod ATS-1-Not Did read most the thread though.

Have a few questions I need to ask users. Already asking one good old guy who owns one and he thinks it is nice but want more opinions.
Recently I had the opportunity to listen to a real Ampex. I had this guy run some 909 drums through an Ampex for me live. It was simply awesome sounding, and the saturation was great especially when he hit it hard.
I am no tape guru but honestly if it meant I could run my 909 machine through this, I would do it all day long. Except here is the issue maintenance and not really up on this.
So I figure the Anamod could be considered as a replacement for an Ampex or am I simply fooling myself?
I hear the Anamod sounds just like the real thing, and in many cases you would not know the difference. So based on this I would be happy to buy one instead of a real tape machine.
So users one question I have is does it really saturate like good ol tape does?
Would love to hear from users who are still using this years later.
My plan is to use it on each individual track.
I also own a Culture Vulture and a Fatso and a few other goodies but to me none of these units sound like the Ampex I heard recently.
Thanks guys.
It is the most valuable kit in my entire operation to me . I have every tape plug there is and imo nothing comes remotely close.I'm getting another Anamod asap ! The whole unit just makes me smile
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeBee View Post
It is the most valuable kit in my entire operation to me . I have every tape plug there is and imo nothing comes remotely close.I'm getting another Anamod asap ! The whole unit just makes me smile
Yeah sounds good and your reply makes me smile.
Yeah I own the UAD tape plugs and to me they don't give me the same smile and feeling as when I first heard that Ampex.

Based on what I hear about the Anamod I will be just buying it I think.
I am very close to doing so but wanted to get some thoughts from users.
Thanks for reply.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
ats owner here - about three yrs, i guess.
especially when specifically using it for drum stuff, it has become an indispensable part of the picture for me... with added 351 card, i can pretty confidently highly recommend it if analog drums is what you're after...

that said, if i were still looking for a tape simulator today, i would probably be inclined to check out the slate option too - for the possible savings if nothing else.

good point tho about os upgrade compatibility. that stuff makes me crazy.
Old 21st October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
ats owner here - about three yrs, i guess.
especially when specifically using it for drum stuff, it has become an indispensable part of the picture for me... with added 351 card, i can pretty confidently highly recommend it if analog drums is what your after...

that said, if i were still looking for a tape simulator today, i would probably be inclined to check out the slate option too - for the possible savings if nothing else.

good point tho about os upgrade compatibility. that stuff makes me crazy.
Thanks, and are you saying the Slate plugin is just as good? I would prefer to keep it in hardware, have tried a few of those tape plugins in the past and none really impressed me. Slate have not tried.
The additional cards, can they purchased directly from Anamod?
Old 21st October 2013
Gear Addict
no. haven't tried the slate. i'm still a pretty dedicated hardware snob, but always curious.
my suggestion was only based on recent comments by other credible folk above. seems worth an audition.
yes, ats sells optional cards directly.
kinda sucks that the optional stuff happens to be the most useful ... hmmm, coincidence??
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tree View Post
no. haven't tried the slate. i'm still a pretty dedicated hardware snob, but always curious.
my suggestion was only based on recent comments by other credible folk above. seems worth an audition.
yes, ats sells optional cards directly.
kinda sucks that the optional stuff happens to be the most useful ... hmmm, coincidence??
No not a coincidence at all, i hear that Scotch tape is the ****.
I figure I will get used to what the unit offers stock standard then at some point check out the upgrade cards.
Geez have not even paid for the unit yet and am already thinking of upgrade cards, gosh I am greedy.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

I just heard it for the first time at AES on an unmastered mix I had in my phone. Obviously bad converters, but made me start thinking about what I might move to make room for one in my mixing setup. I have all of the plugin emulations, and recently tried the Neve 500 series emulator, but the Anamod in the 351 mode was giving me exactly what I've been looking for. It is a lot of dough for something that does something just a bit better than a plugin, but better is better.
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear Head

and I'll be selling one in 3 months......
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid Jones View Post
I just heard it for the first time at AES on an unmastered mix I had in my phone. Obviously bad converters, but made me start thinking about what I might move to make room for one in my mixing setup. I have all of the plugin emulations, and recently tried the Neve 500 series emulator, but the Anamod in the 351 mode was giving me exactly what I've been looking for. It is a lot of dough for something that does something just a bit better than a plugin, but better is better.
Just a bit better hey just a bit better.

Sound aside I just do not use plugins at all no more. The only plugin I use is the one that comes with Logic for some EQ cuts, apart from that all hardware. Dont even mix ITB no more.
Glad for the move also and would not have it another way. I work on a computer 5 days a week and no chance I will be using a computer for music or mixing reasons.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucid Jones View Post
and I'll be selling one in 3 months......
3 months to long, I want one in the next 3 weeks.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear Maniac
nothing beats the real thing which is why I went back to all analogue & tape system ( apart from a Ross Martin pcm 4222 AD converter ) and have never looked back - good tape machines can be had now for a fraction of the cost
Quote:
3 months to long, I want one in the next 3 weeks.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by optionalanalogue View Post
nothing beats the real thing which is why I went back to all analogue & tape system ( apart from a Ross Martin pcm 4222 AD converter ) and have never looked back - good tape machines can be had now for a fraction of the cost
So, you've used the Anamod ATS-1 then?

You do realize that the Anamod IS an all analogue box, right?
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by optionalanalogue View Post
Yeah but the issue with maintenance and the love and care needed for a real Ampex turns me off completely, and feel it would take up my time. Time that I need to focus on making music and mixing.

I feel if the Anamod can give me at least 90 percent of the Ampex goodness this would be a good way to go. Not interested in plugins and willing to pay up to $6k for any type of hardware unit.
I know for that money I can have a real Ampex but again issues, issues, issues.

Have you used the Anamod ATS-1?
From what I hear and read about this unit, it is the only one that manages to come the closest to real tape or in some instances sound like it is tape.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
So, you've used the Anamod ATS-1 then?

You do realize that the Anamod IS an all analogue box, right?
Hey Fleaman. I read most of this thread and noticed you posted a few times, however can't remember if you ended up purchasing one.

If you happen to own one I need to ask you then, how do you like it? My plan is to use on each and every track.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Fleaman. I read most of this thread and noticed you posted a few times, however can't remember if you ended up purchasing one.

If you happen to own one I need to ask you then, how do you like it? My plan is to use on each and every track.
I love it.

Though the 351 card is a necessity. I'd like to try the 102 and 111 cards someday.

See if they still have the 10 day trial offer. You can return for your $$ back if you don't like (minus the ship costs I assume). Just make sure you get the optional cards, you can return the ones you don't like, so you might as well get all of them
(but FYI, you can NOT return the 'stock' cards that come with the ATS-1).

But I haven't tried the Slate plug in. Though I doubt it is 'better', it certainly is cheaper!
Old 24th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I love it.

Though the 351 card is a necessity. I'd like to try the 102 and 111 cards someday.

See if they still have the 10 day trial offer. You can return for your $$ back if you don't like (minus the ship costs I assume). Just make sure you get the optional cards, you can return the ones you don't like, so you might as well get all of them
(but FYI, you can NOT return the 'stock' cards that come with the ATS-1).

But I haven't tried the Slate plug in. Though I doubt it is 'better', it certainly is cheaper!
Great to hear this after a few years have lapsed. Usually people can feel different about gear years later. Sometimes it is the opposite and gear grows on you as you learn its power.
Sure based on your advice I will order the 351 card.

Have looked around for other units but only seems the closest to this is Neve Portico 5042 and the reviews on this unit have not been as favorable as those on the Anamod.
Unfortunately I cannot demo this one here so a 10 day trial would be nice if still exists.
Thanks for your help.
Most likely will order very soon.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Nut
Quote:
Great to hear this after a few years have lapsed. Usually people can feel different about gear years later. Sometimes it is the opposite and gear grows on you as you learn its power.
Sure based on your advice I will order the 351 card.

Have looked around for other units but only seems the closest to this is Neve Portico 5042 and the reviews on this unit have not been as favorable as those on the Anamod.
Unfortunately I cannot demo this one here so a 10 day trial would be nice if still exists.
Thanks for your help.
Most likely will order very soon.
It is a no brainer .. I record 90% of my stems through them and my whole mix through it in the final stage after my Nail ---> PL2 ---> ATS-1 ---> A/D

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search