Last edited by exwel; 28th May 2012 at 02:20 PM.. Reason: Double post
Old 16th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by exwel View Post
I am selling my Anamod ATS.

I don't use it that much.
Wow. I use mine all the time.

Actually, after 3 years of service, mine started blowing fuses today; anyone have any good ideas as to what might be the issue?
Old 21st June 2012
Sadly, selling mine in excellent condition...
w/ 2 additional cards
ampex 351
scotch 111

original owner, w/ box and manual.
Anamod ATS-1 ATS1 w/ extra cards Ampex 351, Scotch 111
Old 9th July 2012
Gear Head

The Anamod

It's amazing how much a subtle (and expensive) piece of gear like this can make one waffle back and forth from time to time, wondering if it's really worth it to keep it around for the money you've got into it. Is it really making things sound better at all?

I've been using the Anamod on my mixes for 6 months now. I'm finding more and more that it is absolutely key that you use it a lot and make a lot of mistakes with it to fully appreciate it. I guess I feel this way about my API2500 mix buss compressor too, but the Anamod even more so because there are a lot more variables and because the sonic effects of it are more nebulous in the way they are perceived. That being said, it could still be a piece of gear that you either enjoy and get a lot of great use out of, or rather find that it's just not for you.

Long and short, I really like it a lot. Subtlety is the key with this box for me.

- At first, I was hitting the inputs too hard in general, making sure that I was hearing the effect (so as to get my money's worth I suppose:-). Not driving the inputs as hard has eased up on the transients I felt like weren't popping enough, but still yields the coloration and depth of sound that I really appreciate from the ATS1. It's easy if you hit the inputs too hard for the transients to get too chewed up and it sounds as if the mix is 'slowing down' - this was generally a bad thing for me.

- The 351 card sounds the most exciting of all for sure when matched up against the rest, but on the mix buss it can perhaps be too heavy handed, even when 'mixed into'. I've found the 102, although sounding lack-luster when directly A/B'd against the 351 - when level-matched and 'mixed into' - to be the card for me for the mix buss most of the time. 351 on drums and bass is killer.

- Small moves with the eq and biasing knobs. These are powerful tools that are easy to overuse.

- Truly level-matching and comparing the dry mix to the Anamod-effected mix is a must. I guess this should probably have been a no-brainer, but I really didn't see this as important as it should be at first. Always trust your ears, but level changes can fool even the best of ears. Making sure those levels are matched is really important.

I feel I'm just scratching the surface of learning this thing, but I'm having fun!

- ben
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Here's one ebay Anamod ATS -1 plus 351 & 102 & 111 Cards | eBay

Sorry for the spam.
If its agains the rules please delete this post.
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rookphase View Post
It's amazing how much a subtle (and expensive) piece of gear like this can make one waffle back and forth from time to time, wondering if it's really worth it to keep it around for the money you've got into it. Is it really making things sound better at all?

I've been using the Anamod on my mixes for 6 months now. I'm finding more and more that it is absolutely key that you use it a lot and make a lot of mistakes with it to fully appreciate it. I guess I feel this way about my API2500 mix buss compressor too, but the Anamod even more so because there are a lot more variables and because the sonic effects of it are more nebulous in the way they are perceived. That being said, it could still be a piece of gear that you either enjoy and get a lot of great use out of, or rather find that it's just not for you.

Long and short, I really like it a lot. Subtlety is the key with this box for me.

- At first, I was hitting the inputs too hard in general, making sure that I was hearing the effect (so as to get my money's worth I suppose:-). Not driving the inputs as hard has eased up on the transients I felt like weren't popping enough, but still yields the coloration and depth of sound that I really appreciate from the ATS1. It's easy if you hit the inputs too hard for the transients to get too chewed up and it sounds as if the mix is 'slowing down' - this was generally a bad thing for me.

- The 351 card sounds the most exciting of all for sure when matched up against the rest, but on the mix buss it can perhaps be too heavy handed, even when 'mixed into'. I've found the 102, although sounding lack-luster when directly A/B'd against the 351 - when level-matched and 'mixed into' - to be the card for me for the mix buss most of the time. 351 on drums and bass is killer.

- Small moves with the eq and biasing knobs. These are powerful tools that are easy to overuse.

- Truly level-matching and comparing the dry mix to the Anamod-effected mix is a must. I guess this should probably have been a no-brainer, but I really didn't see this as important as it should be at first. Always trust your ears, but level changes can fool even the best of ears. Making sure those levels are matched is really important.

I feel I'm just scratching the surface of learning this thing, but I'm having fun!

- ben
All great points. I am tracking electric gtrs right now and I was setting up the anamod with the 351 and I had the input cranked up and the meters were slamming. Still didn't sound bad.

But I know what you mean - I bypassed it and realized I was really clamping down on the dynamics so I backed it off. Even backed off there was a nice amount of color and the bias knob is such a powerful coloring filter.

I followed the chain up with the 2500 on the back end for some make up gain only and it was pretty monstrous.
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
I followed the chain up with the 2500 on the back end for some make up gain only and it was pretty monstrous.
Could you please post a clip? Would love to hear it.

Thanks!
Old 9th July 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
All great points. I am tracking electric gtrs right now and I was setting up the anamod with the 351 and I had the input cranked up and the meters were slamming. Still didn't sound bad.
Indeed, I should have clarified a little better that I was meaning subtlety on the mix-buss specifically. I think you're totally right - on individual tracks, pushing the inputs and getting more aggressive with the eq/bias knobs can absolutely be the right thing.

- ben
Old 9th July 2012
Quote:

- ben
Listen to this man. I have direct experience that his ears are very good
Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Indeed, I should have clarified a little better that I was meaning subtlety on the mix-buss specifically. I think you're totally right - on individual tracks, pushing the inputs and getting more aggressive with the eq/bias knobs can absolutely be the right thing.

- ben
I would love to but I don't have permission to post anything. But even without the anamod, check out the 2500 for gain makeup - really fattens up the signal. I also love the hard and new settings on the compressor for this.
Old 14th July 2012
Lives for gear

Didn't see i allready post a link
Old 14th July 2012
Lives for gear

Last edited by exwel; 14th July 2012 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: dubbel post
Old 14th July 2012
Lives for gear

Spams getting annoying..
Old 14th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Spams getting annoying..

Please delete my post if it's agains the rules.
Old 14th September 2012
Quote:

- ben
This might sound strange but one of the things that makes the Sound Skulptor Tape Simulator more interesting to me as I contemplate which (if any) hardware box to get is that it has fewer controls. Only input and output with a switch for 7.5, 15, or 30 ips settings. Fewer controls equals lower chance of screwing up the sound.
Old 15th November 2012
Lives for gear

Just finished up a mix with band and they are really liking the sound of the guitars. I tracked them with the Anamod and I sent the the Guitar buss thru it using the 351 card at mix time with the use of the bias knob ......just made them sound great..

All smiles.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

Sold my Anamod
Using Slate VTM these days
Not as versatile but Really like it
Old 16th November 2012
Lives for gear

I've had mine a long time now, and I'm more into it than ever. It just KILLS on guitar and bass, and it's amazing both across the mix and as a coloured mult within the mix. I really couldn't live without it at this point.

J
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Sold my Anamod
Me too...
Old 16th November 2012
Quote:
Sold my Anamod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeljko View Post
Me too...
And me...
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

And I lost $1300.00 on the resale

Sign o the times:
Software is getting really good

Last edited by RoundBadge; 16th November 2012 at 06:37 PM.. Reason: Edit $
Old 16th November 2012
Quote:
And I lost $1300.00 on the resale

Sign o the times:
Software is getting really good
Yeah, I lost a bit b/c I bought new and had all but one card. I kinda knew it going in... I looked at it like a computer purchase rather than a vintage gear purchase that either holds or appreciates in value.
Old 16th November 2012
I would think that anything that was a fairly recent device, and used, would lose value on the resale market, especially if it's not a rare find.

It's not "vintage" in the sense that it's not old. But it is not a computer at all. Not the same kind of purchase at all, nor does it hold the same kind of extra short shelf life a computer does. I can't see looking at it like a computer. 50 years from now it's still an analog signal processor, just like all of the other analog signal processors.
Old 16th November 2012
To clarify... I meant "like" a computer in that the anamod will likely continue to depreciate as other models, both analog and digital, get better.
As for the use of the word "vintage" I was referring to the steady or climbing value of most well-known vintage gear.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

The software is getting better.
While the Anamod is a great unit,
The hardware tape emulation boxes will become obsolete
Old 16th November 2012
Quote:
The software is getting better.
While the Anamod is a great unit,
The hardware tape emulation boxes will become obsolete
Interesting position to take on the matter.

By that logic ALL hardware signal processing will become obsolete. Interesting to read a hardware enthusiast like yourself admitting such a thing.
Old 16th November 2012
Quote:
Sold my Anamod
Are you saying that sonically the VTM is on par with the Anamod, but just has less tape sound options?

Or just that's it's pretty great for a plugin and gets you close enough for your purposes?
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enlightened Hand View Post
Interesting position to take on the matter.

By that logic ALL hardware signal processing will become obsolete. Interesting to read a hardware enthusiast like yourself admitting such a thing.
I'm a big fan of hardware AND software.
If it sounds good it IS good.
Old 16th November 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Are you saying that sonically the VTM is on par with the Anamod, but just has less tape sound options?
Yes IMO it sounds a bit different but as good.
multiple instances itb is really winning it for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search