The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 25th December 2011
Lives for gear

From wiki>>

Tape bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The characteristics of the recording system change quite markedly as the level of the bias current is changed. There is a level at which the system gives the minimum distortion(which is the highest bias). There is also a level at which the high frequency response is at maximum (lowest bias). These conditions unfortunately do not occur at the same bias level. Professional reel to reel and cassette recorders are invariably set up for minimum distortion with computing memory recorders. Consumer equipment, and in particular compact audio cassette recorders have the bias set at a compromise level (usually a little higher) to give good frequency response and acceptably low distortion. Also the higher audio frequencies are then weakened more (also known as reducing headroom)."
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
FWIR you had this modded by someone other than Anamod, correct? You never sent the unit to anamod to be check out, right?
No... To be fair, we sent the distributor information to beef-up the 50 Hz supply on his early unit. Most of the first run had no problems at 50 Hz power. A few had some buzz at 50 Hz which we fixed or exchanged and subsequent runs had no problems.

/Dave
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Still rockin an ATS here
Although the 351 card just went dead this week
Don't laugh... Try putting a strip of masking tape on the back side of the PCB, the side opposite the contacts of the card. You could also use a white label. That will make it seat better and it should come back to life.

/Dave
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Roundbadge, I thought my 351 went bad. Try opening the cover and reseat the card. It may take a few tries, but it did the trick for me.
Old 26th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well that sucks.

How are you liking the ATS against the latest plugs so far?
I have heat and Phoenix
Heat gets used a lot
Ats on busses and 2 mix
All have thier little thing they add
Haven't felt compelled to buy a uad box yet.
I'd like to try the studer and 102 though
I would need the expensive quad [work mostly 96K] just to demo the thing properly
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Roundbadge, I thought my 351 went bad. Try opening the cover and reseat the card. It may take a few tries, but it did the trick for me.
Add the piece of tape to ensure it won't happen again.

Best,

/Dave
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Re this noise thing...my ats1 is and has always been very quiet. If you're getting obvious noise there is an issue.

J
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
Re this noise thing...my ats1 is and has always been very quiet. If you're getting obvious noise there is an issue.

J
Or there may be an issue with the listening threshold ) ... ATS-1 IS very noisy (I had 3 of them here ...), of course, if you use it on drums or a thick rock track, you will not hear anything ... But on something very quiet - it is unusable ...
You may also get used to it, till the moment your client tells you - what kind of hiss is this ??
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Honestly I do a lot of acoustic projects and it's not unduly noisy. I am fussy too. I wonder if this is a mains issue?
Old 26th December 2011
Gear Guru

I don't see what the fuss is about.it's quieter than my old machines ever were
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
I don't see what the fuss is about.it's quieter than my old machines ever were
I was going to say it's quieter than my actual A800..
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
But if you never used a tape machine...
Old 26th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
But if you never used a tape machine...
yeah seems about right these days.par for the times I guess
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Worse thing in the world is ProTools meters... the little wiggling green 70 dB down or so.
Old 26th December 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
Worse thing in the world is ProTools meters... the little wiggling green 70 dB down or so.
ha ha..all my analog crap keeps em bubbling along.
digital clean freaks be damned
Old 26th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
I demoed the first model hitting Scandinavia and it had a pretty audible ground noise which made it useless for mastering. It was sent back for maintenance afaik.
Maybe check when the unit was made and most off all check with Anamod to get it sorted out..?
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

bias sound soap to get rid of this
and even if it has to work more...
holy shxt, the telefunken smokes them all soundwise, maybe a80 is in the ballpark..maybe some others i haven´t tried
all the best
happy xmas and so on
it´s like line6 vs blackface twin
sorry
don´t wanna be more than clever or "the vintage guy"
it´s just how it is imo
respect to all the people who are happy with the anamod and repect to the anamod crew... hard working guys, i´m sure
peace
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

I've noticed that pretty much all the noise complaints have been from overseas (not the U.S.). Seems that depending on the country/pwr, the Anamod power supply sometimes doesn't play as nice as it does on U.S. power.
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
bias sound soap to get rid of this
and even if it has to work more...
holy shxt, the telefunken smokes them all soundwise, maybe a80 is in the ballpark..maybe some others i haven´t tried
all the best
happy xmas and so on
it´s like line6 vs blackface twin
sorry
don´t wanna be more than clever or "the vintage guy"
it´s just how it is imo
respect to all the people who are happy with the anamod and repect to the anamod crew... hard working guys, i´m sure
peace
Huh?
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huh?
too much eggnog?
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Huh?
if you got noise try bias sound soap, it´s a killer.. it´s software...even the tascam porta studio 2 i got can work for some old school sounds with this imo
i still like tape more than the anamod, but the anamod is a great tool,
great work
i understand that it´s pita to get a good tape machine working and that the anamod is very close
have fun making great records
love +
peace
Old 27th December 2011
Engagement Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
, of course, if you use it on drums or a thick rock track, you will not hear anything ... But on something very quiet - it is unusable ...
You may also get used to it, till the moment your client tells you - what kind of hiss is this ??
I understand that you found it unsuitable for your needs but you can't say 'it's unusable'
I use them on quite/acoustic tracks on a regular basis and think I know what I'm doing

Which model tape machines did you find the ATS-1 to be noisier than?
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Mine is very quiet and fine for acoustic guitar and vocal tunes.
Could it be possible that even though the knob for the hiss is set to 0 that it's really not set to 0 internally and is letting some hiss through? I know nothing about electronics, but my particular Anamod is very quiet and useable for everything from the softest stuff to metal. On top of that, what it does to a mix is WELL worth any noise brought into it...imo.
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

OK, I will make and post some samples of an acoustic instrument and quiet track with and without Anamod, so we can hear and comment ...
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Dutchman View Post
if you got noise try bias sound soap, it´s a killer.. it´s software...
Ah ok. It was a little ironic that we were talking about tape bias and the name of that software company was also 'bias'.
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK, I will make and post some samples of an acoustic instrument and quiet track with and without Anamod, so we can hear and comment ...
Good idea.
Old 27th December 2011
The ATS-1 is a great tool which i can't live without.. my best buy of recent years. it deliver its promise and it's a dream come true to always be able to switch between tape machines to find the one works best for what I'm working on, but i have to agree it's very noisy and some producers has asked me to take it out of the chain although they really liked what it did to the sound but it was too noisy for them and I'm talking about acoustic pop music. i would also missing wow and flutter control but that's another story..

the price of this unit is extremely high and it's noisy but it's still my favorite piece of gear in the racks and i wouldn't wanna record\mix\master without it ever again !
Old 27th December 2011
Engagement Manager

Quote:
You're going to record something to tape and convert it and then compare it to the same thing recorded through the ATS-1 version of that machine right?

Some of the posts in this thread are talking about it being noisy and I wanted to confirm that they are saying it's noisy compared to tape and not just compared to an unprocessed signal or to other hardware

It's meant to by simulating tape machines after all
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
The ATS-1 is a great tool which i can't live without.. my best buy of recent years. it deliver its promise and it's a dream come true to always be able to switch between tape machines to find the one works best for what I'm working on, but i have to agree it's very noisy and some producers has asked me to take it out of the chain although they really liked what it did to the sound but it was too noisy for them and I'm talking about acoustic pop music. i would also missing wow and flutter control but that's another story..

the price of this unit is extremely high and it's noisy but it's still my favorite piece of gear in the racks and i wouldn't wanna record\mix\master without it ever again !
Power supply buzz or hiss?

/Dave
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperschool View Post
You're going to record something to tape and convert it and then compare it to the same thing recorded through the ATS-1 version of that machine right?

Some of the posts in this thread are talking about it being noisy and I wanted to confirm that they are saying it's noisy compared to tape and not just compared to an unprocessed signal or to other hardware

It's meant to by simulating tape machines after all
Yes... Or at the very least... Let us know your operating point in dBm.

/Dave

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search