The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 21st December 2011
  #1711
Gear Head
yeah no hype, I`ve used tape, can`t afford tape and a machine , love the sound, like what it does need to find an alternative.
Old 21st December 2011
  #1712
I still use my ATS1 every day and love it. Between the a800 and 351 machines and the GP9, 456 and 111 tape cards I can dial in just the right sound I want. Tracking thru this has done amazing things for my recordings. 1 year later and it's still worth every penny!
Old 22nd December 2011
  #1713
Gear Head
yeah there is no way I can afford a ATS-1 at the moment settled for the portico 5042.
Old 22nd December 2011
  #1714
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keena View Post
yeah there is no way I can afford a ATS-1 at the moment settled for the portico 5042.
Just so you know, the portico is really more of a tranny saturator with a headbump eq, not so unlike some pre-amp/eq units with trannys that you can drive a little hard.

It does not do tape saturation and as such, doesn't sound like tape at all (IMO).

You can get a better tape saturation/effect from one of those newer plug-in's instead, cheaper than the portico.
Old 22nd December 2011
  #1715
Lives for gear
 
WunderBro Flo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by keena View Post
yeah no hype, I`ve used tape, can`t afford tape and a machine , love the sound, like what it does need to find an alternative.
UAD2's Ampex and Studer are the next best things, actually the benefits of the plugins outweighs the benefit of even slightly better sound of real tape and the anamod for me. I sold my Anamod, got the UAD Quad and I am happy I did it.
Old 22nd December 2011
  #1716
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
UAD2's Ampex and Studer are the next best things, actually the benefits of the plugins outweighs the benefit of even slightly better sound of real tape and the anamod for me. I sold my Anamod, got the UAD Quad and I am happy I did it.
WunderBro... what benefits w/ the plugins are you referring to?
Recall? Multiple instances?

I haven't demoed the UAD tape plugs, but was dissapointed w/ the Waves plug.

Do you feel like you get enough variations/machine&tape combinations w/ the UAD plugs as you do with the ATS-1?
Old 22nd December 2011
  #1717
Lives for gear
 
WunderBro Flo's Avatar
Yes,
multiple instances, more tweakable parameters, instant and precise recall, no noise...the sound quality is stunning. I also have Waves MPX which is nice but imho no contest, UAD does nicer things to the sound, more useful, more real.
In the end I am getting better end results with the benefits of the plugins compared to the real thing, which sounds slightly, slightly better (sometimes) but I could not finetune it or use it in different settings in different subgroups or browse presets to hit something totally cool which I would not have tried on the analog gear in the first place....
Old 22nd December 2011
  #1718
Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
Yes,
multiple instances, more tweakable parameters, instant and precise recall, no noise...the sound quality is stunning. I also have Waves MPX which is nice but imho no contest, UAD does nicer things to the sound, more useful, more real.
In the end I am getting better end results with the benefits of the plugins compared to the real thing, which sounds slightly, slightly better (sometimes) but I could not finetune it or use it in different settings in different subgroups or browse presets to hit something totally cool which I would not have tried on the analog gear in the first place....
Can you record thru the UAD/tape plugs or does it have to be applied on playback?
Old 23rd December 2011
  #1719
Lives for gear
 
Lipps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Can you record thru the UAD/tape plugs or does it have to be applied on playback?
Bus it to another track and hit record
Old 23rd December 2011
  #1720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
Bus it to another track and hit record
I know I'm way behind not knowing the UAd stuff...

how much latency are you talking about recording that way?
Old 23rd December 2011
  #1721
Lives for gear
 
WunderBro Flo's Avatar
you can use any plugin recording, delay compensation is done by the host - you only should not monitor
through the plugins as the delay cannot be compensated for while monitoring.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1722
Lives for gear
 
ISedlacek's Avatar
The main issue of ATS-1 is that it is TOO noisy. Using it on any material that is not continuously loud, results in audible overall hiss. I like it less and less from this very reason and I wonder why it has to be so ...
Old 24th December 2011
  #1723
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
The main issue of ATS-1 is that it is TOO noisy. Using it on any material that is not continuously loud, results in audible overall hiss. I like it less and less from this very reason and I wonder why it has to be so ...
It's not a deal breaker for me, but I also brought this point up earlier in this thread. Gp9 is pretty quiet, but 456 a little worse, and 111 much worse as far as hiss is concerned. I wish there were a way to totally dial it out.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1724
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
The main issue of ATS-1 is that it is TOO noisy. Using it on any material that is not continuously loud, results in audible overall hiss. I like it less and less from this very reason and I wonder why it has to be so ...
Way quieter than a real tape machine.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
Way quieter than a real tape machine.
Dave, that is true. Is there any way to get the hiss lower while retaining the modeling aspects of the tape sound?
Old 24th December 2011
  #1726
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Amels View Post
Way quieter than a real tape machine.
indeed.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1727
Lives for gear
 
DarkSky Media's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
...Gp9 is pretty quiet, but 456 a little worse, and 111 much worse as far as hiss is concerned. I wish there were a way to totally dial it out.
Ha! So many of us who lived and worked through the tape 'era' wished on a daily basis that we could "dial the hiss out". Extraordinary lengths (Dolby, compander systems, gates, dynamic filters, fader rides and on and on) were gone to in pursuit of this aim - which in part was the aim of making tape sound less tape-like.

Not to disagree with you - at all - but in a sense, you're the latest in line following a proud tradition. We have options that weren't available then, but we'd like more.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1728
Lives for gear
 
WunderBro Flo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
The main issue of ATS-1 is that it is TOO noisy. Using it on any material that is not continuously loud, results in audible overall hiss. I like it less and less from this very reason and I wonder why it has to be so ...
The problem as I see it is that the quality of ATS1 units and their cards is too inconsistent IMHO. There are more and less noisy units out there, cards with tight and "less tight" stereo channel matching etc...and due to Anamods standpoint "they are all meeting our specs" it is a bit of a gamble what you are getting. Which IMHO it should not be at the price those pieces are sold for, which of course is a subjective judgement. I am so much happier with multiple instances of totally recallable, worry free, excellent sounding UAD Studers and UAD Ampex instances over subgroups, masterbusses and individual channels than I was with one stereo unit of analog emulation with all it's negative sides, which often prevented me from using it in the first place. The big plus of the Anamod imho was the heavily colored Ampex card, but now that UAD have added an awesome Ampex emulation to complement the Studer (which is a lot less colorful than the Ampex, true for Anamod and UAD emulation) there is no more downside for me.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1729
Lives for gear
 
Space Station's Avatar
Really? I have three ATS-1's and I know Sniperschool on here has multiple units too..I've never experienced a problem and he's never mentioned one either...

My downside with the UAD stuff is it's digital..

Sounds pedantic..so I should add...Anamod is analogue, I have no multiples of analogue units that are carbon copies of each other.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1730
Lives for gear
 
WunderBro Flo's Avatar
Sean owns the ATS1 that I sold, which was modded to lower it's noisefloor, and Sean told me that it is still noisier than the other units he owns. The inconsistency in the cards is something I experienced myself, the Ampex card had frequency dependent level differences between left and right that exceeded 2.5 dB if I remember correctly. Cool for guys who like random kickdrum panning.

It's totally ok to not give digital a chance, to each their own. I am glad I can choose between analog and digital on a case by case basis, in this case I got way better results with digital, ymmv.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1731
Lives for gear
 
Space Station's Avatar
uhuh..well hopefully Sean and Dave can chime in...

Just to stress I own the UAD as well..and a Studer A800 Mk1
Old 24th December 2011
  #1732
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Dave, that is true. Is there any way to get the hiss lower while retaining the modeling aspects of the tape sound?
No... It's an analog processor. Honestly, it's as quiet as an analog computer will allow. It's only now that the technology is sufficient for a noise floor much lower than a tape machine using this approach.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1733
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
The problem as I see it is that the quality of ATS1 units and their cards is too inconsistent IMHO. There are more and less noisy units out there, cards with tight and "less tight" stereo channel matching etc...and due to Anamods standpoint "they are all meeting our specs" it is a bit of a gamble what you are getting. Which IMHO it should not be at the price those pieces are sold for, which of course is a subjective judgement. I am so much happier with multiple instances of totally recallable, worry free, excellent sounding UAD Studers and UAD Ampex instances over subgroups, masterbusses and individual channels than I was with one stereo unit of analog emulation with all it's negative sides, which often prevented me from using it in the first place. The big plus of the Anamod imho was the heavily colored Ampex card, but now that UAD have added an awesome Ampex emulation to complement the Studer (which is a lot less colorful than the Ampex, true for Anamod and UAD emulation) there is no more downside for me.

It's not digital. There's a tolerance to analog electronics. People who've owned tape machines know this. Get digital if this type of stuff bugs you.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1734
Imperfections are no longer tolerated in modern music. If we could only get rid of those pesky musicians now.
Old 24th December 2011
  #1735
Engagement Manager
 
Sniperschool's Avatar
I have a couple of ATS-1's (One was indeed from Pat/WunderFlo)

The machines have been on day in and day out for a few years now and I've never had a problem with them
I love what they do and there's nothing out there that I'd want to use instead

I'm after a third machine so if anyone on here's unhappy with theirs let me now and I'll buy it from you
Old 25th December 2011
  #1736
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
Sean owns the ATS1 that I sold, which was modded to lower it's noisefloor, and Sean told me that it is still noisier than the other units he owns.
FWIR you had this modded by someone other than Anamod, correct? You never sent the unit to anamod to be check out, right?
Old 25th December 2011
  #1737
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
Still rockin an ATS here
Although the 351 card just went dead this week
Old 25th December 2011
  #1738
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Still rockin an ATS here
Although the 351 card just went dead this week
Well that sucks.

How are you liking the ATS against the latest plugs so far?
Old 25th December 2011
  #1739
Lives for gear
 
guittarzzan's Avatar
I've had my Anamod in my home studio for a couple years now and it's pretty frickin' quiet to my ears.

I've always tracked through it, but I've never just run a full mix through it for some reason, until last week. The difference is night and day in a very good way. The kick has a lot more meat and 3d sound, the bass sounds thicker as do the guitars and the whole mix just sounds more glued together. It's pretty stupid of me to just now be trying this out, but I will not have a mix mastered again without running my mix through the Anamod first. It's absolutely brings that thick, 3D sound to my little digital world.
FWIW, I ran the mix through at 30 ips with the 351 card and set to 456 tape. At 15 ips, the bass didn't sound as tight and defined...a tiny bit muddy to my ears. Might be just the thing for a different song.

I have a question to other anamod owners: What is really going on when I adjust the bias knob on this thing? It really seems to open up the sound(take the blanket off the speakers) when I set it at about -5. Is this just boosting the hf a little or is there something else going on?

cheers,
Steve
Old 25th December 2011
  #1740
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guittarzzan View Post
I have a question to other anamod owners: What is really going on when I adjust the bias knob on this thing? It really seems to open up the sound(take the blanket off the speakers) when I set it at about -5. Is this just boosting the hf a little or is there something else going on?

cheers,
Steve
Basically when adjusting bias for lowest distortion, that point (in the bias adjustment) is not the same as the bias adjustment point for highest freq response. So what you are doing is adjusting bias for better high freq response at the expense of greater distortion.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump