The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

it continues to blow me away every day. what an insane unit.
Old 9th May 2010
AB3
Lives for gear

I have some projects that are already recorded but not mixed. Is this a good unit for just mixing into, or is it really important to have used it for tracking as well?
Best,
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

I can't speak for Greg, and I haven't had a chance to do any serious tracking through mine yet (I've had it for just over the trial period), but the ATS-1 has made a world of difference to some really awful sounding sounding metal guitar I've been mixing. It is an amazing device.
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

Leave it on the mix bus.
Old 9th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
Greg

I am someone who mixes itb with hardware inserts (no console or summing mixer). For the 2-buss do you feel that an anamod unit would be a great place to start, or would I be better off getting a summing mixer or 2-buss Comp/EQ first?

Thanks
Old 9th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titans55 View Post
Greg

I am someone who mixes itb with hardware inserts (no console or summing mixer). For the 2-buss do you feel that an anamod unit would be a great place to start, or would I be better off getting a summing mixer or 2-buss Comp/EQ first?

Thanks
Honestly, the ATS-1, a summing mixer, a 2 buss comp and an outboard EQ are all big improvements from ITB in my experience. Not to sound flippant, but if you can, get them all when you can - if your experience is anything like mine, you will wonder how you got by without them.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Honestly, the ATS-1, a summing mixer, a 2 buss comp and an outboard EQ are all big improvements from ITB in my experience. Not to sound flippant, but if you can, get them all when you can - if your experience is anything like mine, you will wonder how you got by without them.
My ultimate goal is to have all of those units. In your experience what would be the best order to acquire them? I have the budget to get 2 of those things now and then add the next 2 over the next year or so.

Thanks
Old 10th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
My ultimate goal is to have all of those units. In your experience what would be the best order to acquire them? I have the budget to get 2 of those things now and then add the next 2 over the next year or so.

Thanks
Well, I would say that a summing mixer and a 2-buss comp would be the priority, with the possibility of an ATS-1 instead of the summing mixer. It depends on your workflow and the functionality you need as to whether the summing mixer would be a better step than an ATS-1 out of the gate. Of course it also depends on the kind of music and work you are doing.
Old 10th May 2010
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by feck View Post
Well, I would say that a summing mixer and a 2-buss comp would be the priority, with the possibility of an ATS-1 instead of the summing mixer. It depends on your workflow and the functionality you need as to whether the summing mixer would be a better step than an ATS-1 out of the gate. Of course it also depends on the kind of music and work you are doing.
Thanks for the quick and honest response. Thats the order I was feeling would be best heh. I normally record pop music (anything from Pop-country to pop top 40 type of music)

From your link I see you own the Thermionic Phoenix MC. not to change the subject but how often does that end up on your 2-buss

Thanks in advance
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Greg, did you use the Anamod at all on the Adam Lambert album? If so, was it used on individual tracks, sub groups or mix bus?

Not my typical listening .. but great sounds all around..
Old 11th May 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the quick and honest response. Thats the order I was feeling would be best heh. I normally record pop music (anything from Pop-country to pop top 40 type of music)

From your link I see you own the Thermionic Phoenix MC. not to change the subject but how often does that end up on your 2-buss

Thanks in advance
I haven't had the Phoenix for very long, but have already mixed 7 songs since having it - it ended up on every damn one of them. What a WOW piece of gear.
Old 28th May 2010
So finally i tested the unit, and its really amazing !
Thanks to Christophe at Audioaddict to give me a demo unit.
Lots of different sound and controls if you have all the cards installed.
It's now on the top of my buy list...
Thanks to all who gave me some infos before i tested the unit.

Lionel
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Anamod in action on tracks form Kenya

okay maybe interesting, amazing music/clip .. all mixed on laptop running logic .. mastered by using anamod and a few goodies ..

YouTube - Just A Band - Ha-He

Muthoni The DQ - Mikono kwenye hewa
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Wim, sounds great.. What card did you use for Mix buss?
Old 17th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Wim, sounds great.. What card did you use for Mix buss?
the guys for just a band mixed it down in kenya, the other track is done by the artist & producer, all mixed in Nairobi .. I only used the anamod in the masteringstage .. to give it some edge/beef it up .. we pushed for a commercial sound ..

the guys from just A band had about 3 hours power a day to their studio .. so between all hick ups they've been very creative ..

it's was all mastered 5 or 6 months ago , the video's just came up ..
I enjoyed watching them and I wanted to share/show ..

I don't recall which card but the stock studer and the 351 on the druming queen I guess ...
got a bit carried away with the new tool .... stike

loving the HISS on the anamod these days .... it such a great sheen of distortion you can add ...
Old 25th October 2010
Geesh, I actually read most of this entire thread. I called Anamod today and will likely audition the ATS-1 soon.
Sheepishly, I ask the following question:
For those of you USING the ATS-1, does Avid's "HEAT" compare at all as far as tape saturation sounds go?
I know that the ATS-1 offers so many more options and sounds, but as far as quality tones go, how do they compare? Anyone?
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Totally different

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Geesh, I actually read most of this entire thread. I called Anamod today and will likely audition the ATS-1 soon.
Sheepishly, I ask the following question:
For those of you USING the ATS-1, does Avid's "HEAT" compare at all as far as tape saturation sounds go?
I know that the ATS-1 offers so many more options and sounds, but as far as quality tones go, how do they compare? Anyone?

I "think" the Dave is involved in both, however; I believe they are two very different processes. FWIW.

-Andrews
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Guru

Two analog loving Daves.

Dave Hill=Heat,phoenix
Dave Amels=Anamod ATS,Realios,digi reel tape plug,etc,etc.

using ATS,Heat,Phoenix and slate VCC here.
all useful/diff brushes/tools w/ a similar objective:make digital sound a little nicer.
Old 26th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Dave Hill=Heat,phoenix
Dave Amels=Anamod ATS,digi reel tape plug

all useful/diff brushes/tools w/ a similar objective:make digital sound a little nicer.
Cool. So not much overlap? I already have Phoenix, downloaded a demo of Heat. I'm thinking the ATS would be very useful in tracking/overdubs... as well as mix down. In your opinion, is the ATS filling a gaping whole that the others units u mentioned can't fill?
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

I'm not RoundBadge (although I have been known to impersonate him to get into some really bitchin' clubs) But, IMO yes, it is one of the greatest tracking tools I have ever used (mixing of course too).

On electric guitars it will open them up in a way that only tape used to be able to do.

Drums, OMG!

Really, everything.
Sometimes in moderatation, sometimes with the needle well into the red at 1 or 2.

I love Phoenix and Heat too, but if I could only keep one, it would be the ATS-1.

Oh, come to think of it, I can't pick one. I'm going to have to keep them all.
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I "think" the Dave is involved in both, however; I believe they are two very different processes. FWIW.

-Andrews
Quote:
Dave Hill=Heat,phoenix
Dave Amels=Anamod ATS,digi reel tape plug

Guess I was right, "Dave" IS involved in both heh ...just different Dave's!

-Andrews heh
Old 26th October 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlesicily View Post
Cool. So not much overlap? I already have Phoenix, downloaded a demo of Heat. I'm thinking the ATS would be very useful in tracking/overdubs... as well as mix down. In your opinion, is the ATS filling a gaping whole that the others units u mentioned can't fill?
your last sentences answered itself .
Ive layered light amounts of phoenix on multiple tracks for years.
its nice to pop open heat set a tone and move on[on loong days n' recalls -less stuff to do/remember/tweak=thumbsup.]
still exploring VCC but it is a tonally diff thing=imo=good
Old 26th October 2010
Lives for gear

"Dave?"

"Dave's not here..."
Old 26th October 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboymusic View Post
I love Phoenix and Heat too, but if I could only keep one, it would be the ATS-1.
Quote:
your last sentences answered itself .
Ive layered light amounts of phoenix on multiple tracks for years.
its nice to pop open heat set a tone and move on[on loong days n' recalls -less stuff to do/remember/tweak=thumbsup.]
still exploring VCC but it is a tonally diff thing=imo=good
Thanks badboy and RB, for the time and feedback. Much appreciated.
Old 28th October 2010
Anyone wanna sell their ATS-1 to me?
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

Not me

Downside to a 2nd hand party purchase is you can't take advantage of Anamod's trial guarantee thingy.

I usually see a few WTB requests in the classified section here, though it doesn't seem many of us give up our units...
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

I wonder how often somebody actually sends one back...heh
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

I've been following the Anamod threads (AM660 too) from the beginning and haven't seen anyone post that they sent either back within the trial period.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

I can't imagine hearing an ATS-1 and sending it back. It really is one of the most amazing pieces of gear.
Old 28th October 2010
Lives for gear

I sold mine...after sending it back (yes, after sending it back). For a number of reasons. And I disagree, I can think of many reasons why one would send it back or sell it, cause despite the hype, it is a piece of gear with some advantages and some disadvantages (which people rarely talk about here - especially in relation to the enormous amount of praise it gets here.) btw I know several people who did not keep it. For me, in the end, getting real tapemachines made more sense.

Rock on!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search