The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1291
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
again not bashing the machine, I never used it. I not even complaining about the price, shout my c800g cost $9K my 2 Neves are $9k as well my Neko is $7k...what I'm complaining about is the way they sell the stuff, it's like selling you a car but you only get 2 new tires, you can still drive on the rims, not the best but it might get you there, if you want the other 2 tires you got to pay extra...makes no sense...
again the price is high but ok...if it comes with all the cards as it should, if you water down the product then water down the price too!
The ATS-1 is at first, a tape machine emulator. For the price of this 1 box, you get the emulations of 2 different tape machines and 2 tape formulations. You don't get an A800 with 2 wheels or M79 with 2 wheels, they both have all 4 wheels.

When you buy a 1073, do you also get a 1081 in the same box? When you bought your c800g, did you also get a U47 in there? How many other hardware tape emulators out there even have switchable tape machine and tape formulation options? None. And yet the ATS-1 still sounds better than any other tape emulator-STOCK. Plus you get to chose between 4 optional cards, stock.

Yes, IMO the optional cards are highly regarded and most get them....'cos they are relatively cheap and do a great job of emulating some sweet machines (351, etc.). How many studios have a A800, M79, 351 and the 102 in their machine room? How could that considered standard?

To sum it up:
> The ATS-1 stock sounds better than any other tape emulator out there.
> The ATS-1 stock allows you to switch between 4 card/sound choices (2 machines, 2 tapes). No other hardware emulator does that.
> The ATS-1 has extra slots for optional machine/tape cards to expand on its already 'best sounding tape emulator' out there.
> The ATS-1 optional cards are relatively cheap. Especially with what you get. Want a 351 tube tape machine emulation? $300 (about). 102? Cheap also. Try to do that in the real world.

Finally, the optional cards were not out when the ATS-1 was released. The ATS-1 was released (at a price point) with ALL the cards that were available at the time. The first optional card, the 351 was released later. Should anamod have now included it in the ATS-1 at a higher price point? Or include it for free? Then send all the previous ATS-1 owners out that card for free? And then do this for every succeeding card? At what point should someone pay for the option cards Anamod keeps on developing?

Last edited by Fleaman; 2nd April 2010 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: Took out the word 'optional' in the 2nd sum-it-up line
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1292
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
well EVERYBODY is talking about how great the EXTRA cards are and how they which they could send the old ones back...
My thing is they should include all cards in them, they are trying so hard to say that it's better then a plugin computer but yet sell it like a computer...oh you want extra ram? here $400... imagine buying a Pultec but it only goes to 12K , you want the 16K? that an extra 500... again it's the apple mentality, let's water down our iPad with no video camera etc... but wait !! we might add the webcam as an EXTRA $79 accessories !! just like they do for the USB port so you are basically FORCED to buy the accessorie if you want a functionality that SHOULD be included, same with the anamod you sell me a GREAT machine...wait it's ONLY great when you buy the extra cards/??... nothing will convince me that it's good business practice sorry.
The Least they should do would be to include one of the 351 or 102 card STOCK with the machine and IF you want the other good card you buy it, I think that would be fair, wouldn't you?
Sorry, I think your analogies are way off.

Say you buy a A800 tape emulation plug in. Then later the same company offers a 351 plug in. Should you just get that for free?

And the Pultec analogy? Again, The Anamod gives you the full sound of the A800 or M79, or 456, GP9. You don't have to buy anything extra to get them to sound like those emulations, they are not handicapped in anyway like your Pultec analogy.

Since we are talking about high end recording gear, I'm not even gonna analogize with ipads and usb's....

I guess I'm not getting your thinking here
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1293
Lives for gear
 
WunderBro Flo's Avatar
I think the analogies are all quite besides the point. It is much simpler.
The ATS1 is a computer, the cards are the software. The trouble is, when you want to buy the computer plus some software of your choice, you won´t get it that way. You only get the computer with software you do not want but have to buy. Again, it is perfectly legal, it simply is not supernice for the customers. Imagine you want to buy a DAW to install your ProTools HD on but the DAW manufacturer says you are only getting their DAW when also buying Logic from them, which you know you will never use (and not allowed to sell).
The point is that it would be easy to sell the ATS1/DAW with the cards/software of choice, but the manufacturer choses not to offer this to make more money. Is it legal and the good right of the seller? Of course! Could it be more buyer-friendly? Of course as well!

Rock on!
Pat
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1294
Gear Addict
 
C.Judd Karn's Avatar
 

just chiming in!

I love my ATS-1. Used it on a record that will be mastered soon and it was used on every track in the recording stage.

When it came to drums I had to obviously choose which tracks to put the ATS on.

The record has a great vibe and the tone was convincing to my ears using the ampex 351 card

I think there are some pre-mastered mixes on:

myspace.com/jaybuchanan

As for the debate over price, I agree with EVERYONE, and will add something new.

Gear is like a car, if it gets me from A to B it's a good thing.

This unit did just that and the final verdict will come in when I see if I get any more requests for the "same sounding" record.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1295
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
I guess that's probably the key question: is this simply a widely held belief, or is it truth? One thing I'm careful about is taking the 25 or 75 loudest voices on gearslutz as reflecting some gospel truth. Until I know for myself, I don't know.

But I do take your point, and I know if I developed a product with multiple options like this I would probably do it as you suggest and find a way to include them all without jacking the cost, or I'd leave them all out and let people add them a-la carte from a blank starting point. If it became clear over time that no one ever chose options A & B, I'd simply stop offering them.

It's funny, I did actually have the option of doing the UBK Fatso that way, of offering all kinds of different presets in a mix-and-match config. But the logistics alone of tracking the various orders, doing each mod on a custom config basis, and having people second guess and change their minds or agonize over which way to go and never be able to decide... I made the choice to include the ones I felt were the strongest, fix a price, and let that be the product.

I get why anamod does it their way, it doesn't bug me, but ultimately you & I are in agreement in terms of how we'd do it ourselves. Which is the beauty of it, right? We're all free to sail our own ships.

So... any chance of a hint or preview of what you're workin' on gearwise?

We'll have to sit and have a cuppa some day and swap manufacturing war stories, like the one where my 50 chassis all arrived at the top-level assemblers and the head tech calls me up: "ummm... are your back panels supposed to be silk-screened upside down?"




Gregory Scott - ubk
I see your point and agree to a certain extent, as you said YOU would have found a way to incorportated them it's like you selling the clariphonic with the focus fucntion...and sell the clarity as a add on 1 u rack underneath..you didn't do it, and you priced the unit very reasonably, thank you !!! I'm by the way very interested in it !... would love to check it out.heh
about the gear I'm working on I can't talk about it on a public forum due to a ND agreement PM me your email and I will send u pics however I'm not sure it's something "YOU" would be particulary interested it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Sorry, I think your analogies are way off.

Say you buy a A800 tape emulation plug in. Then later the same company offers a 351 plug in. Should you just get that for free?

And the Pultec analogy? Again, The Anamod gives you the full sound of the A800 or M79, or 456, GP9. You don't have to buy anything extra to get them to sound like those emulations, they are not handicapped in anyway like your Pultec analogy.

Since we are talking about high end recording gear, I'm not even gonna analogize with ipads and usb's....

I guess I'm not getting your thinking here
Reading your posts in the past I know you would die before saying ANYTHING negative about the unit, that's ok you love it and I respect that, again I'm sure I would too (never know until you try it) the point here is this is NOT a plugin...right? so it's a TAPE MACHINES emulation device, NOT a A800 emulator... a TAPE MACHINES emulator...so make it come with the good TAPE MACHINES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blim View Post
_____________
that's funny , that's all I readfuuckfuuckfuuck U
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1296
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

I dunno. If you really wanna pull the covers off something, howabout what Lexicon did with their recently released blu ray player? Essentially they literally put a different faceplate on another brand blu ray player and marked it up 700%, and it had questionable THX certification too>>>

It was discovered in an Audioholics.com review on January 15th, 2010 that Lexicon's BD-30 blu-ray player (retail price $3500) contained internal components and chassis identical to the Oppo BDP-83 (retail price $500) and audiovisual testing indicated no changes were made in performance either.[5][6] Furthermore, it appears that this player was given THX certification (the first blu-ray player with this distinction), despite failing fundamental THX tests. Currently, evidence of its certification has largely disappeared from the THX website after this was revealed.[7]

And look at how much the 480L was. Did it ship with all the optional cards?
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1297
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
Reading your posts in the past I know you would die before saying ANYTHING negative about the unit, that's ok you love it and I respect that, again I'm sure I would too (never know until you try it) the point here is this is NOT a plugin...right? so it's a TAPE MACHINES emulation device, NOT a A800 emulator... a TAPE MACHINES emulator...so make it come with the good TAPE MACHINES...
Apparently you haven't read all my posts on Anamod.

IF you did, you'd fine posts of mine in which I was conflicted and almost sent my ATS-1 back, due to price/value.

So, you should be clear on what you know of ME and my posts. Your assumption and 'die before saying anything negative' analogy (along with most of all your other analogies) is just way off base IMO. And in my personal case, completely incorrect (as I can prove it, just don't want to waste time to search for said posts--but will if you insist).

Do I wish the ATS-1 ships with ALL avail. cards for the same price? Of course. Do I wish for LOTS of other things in life to be better for the same cost, of course.

Again, what other hardware 'tape machine/tape emulator' has more than 1 machine/tape to chose from? Heck, there isn't even one that emulates ANY 1 model of tape machine, they are all just generic-ish.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1298
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Apparently you haven't read all my posts on Anamod.

IF you did, you'd fine posts of mine in which I was conflicted and almost sent my ATS-1 back, due to price/value.

So, you should be clear on what you know of ME and my posts. Your assumption and 'die before saying anything negative' analogy (along with most of all your other analogies) is just way off base IMO. And in my personal case, completely incorrect (as I can prove it, just don't want to waste time to search for said posts--but will if you insist).

Do I wish the ATS-1 ships with ALL avail. cards for the same price? Of course. Do I wish for LOTS of other things in life to be better for the same cost, of course.

Again, what other hardware 'tape machine/tape emulator' has more than 1 machine/tape to chose from?
you are correct I didn't read all of your 2000 posts about the anamod I might have only read a few hundreds recently and you always claim how great it is and how it is the best thing in the universe and can even cook you breakfast!!..anyways so if even YOU almost sent back the unit no matter how much you love it, you must admit that the price/value ratio is very off.
as far as lexicon Lexicon..yes they are crooks! and I of course don't agree with their business practices as well!
I will buy the unit used if I can get it for a good price on it with the cards included but I sure I'm not giving $4000 or more to Anamod, nope
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1299
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsma View Post
Gearons. I always pushed for "Morgears" but Greg is Batman and I'm Robin so when it came time to combine "morons" with "gear" he kinda had the final say.
i was actually kinda proud of being a gearslut but now that you put it that way... great stuff tsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Cowboys
4 - The frequency curves of the tapemachines cannot be bypassed. Yes, you cannot bypass them on a real tapemachine either, but it is a disadvantage compared to other forms of saturation where you can have the saturation only without numerous bumps and cuts in the f-range. Run through the 351 card twice (once in the mix, once on the buss for example) and that signal will have an accumulated lowbass boost of around 6-8dB and 3-5dB of boost in the upper mids/highs.
some good points Cowboys but i can't see myself going through a 351 twice regularly, real or anamod. that you can if you want to however, i don't see as a problem.

Quote:
6 - not a real downside of the ATS1 <snip> I am a little sick of anything that is being hyped so much on forums that many guys with less experience will think the ATS1 is some sort of magic device that makes THE difference between professional sound and non professional sound.
anyone who thinks that any one piece of gear will make up for a lack of talent or experience should buy a strat and see if they sound like Clapton; alot cheaper than buying pro audio gear that's for sure... but this place is called Gearons... errr slutz after all, and i don't recall anyone saying they use the ATS on every track, mix every song back through it or that's it's some sort of magic bullet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
The ATS-1 is at first, a tape machine emulator. For the price of this 1 box, you get the emulations of 2 different tape machines and 2 tape formulations. You don't get an A800 with 2 wheels or M79 with 2 wheels, they both have all 4 wheels.
well to be fair an A800 does have 24 tracks... but i ain't complaining; just a matter of time before the Softube guys make an emulation of the A800 card. sorry couldn't resist.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1300
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
just a matter of time before the Softube guys make an emulation of the A800 card.
LOOOOLheh
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1301
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
you are correct I didn't read all of your 2000 posts about the anamod I might have only read a few hundreds recently and you always claim how great it is and how it is the best thing in the universe and can even cook you breakfast!!..anyways so if even YOU almost sent back the unit no matter how much you love it, you must admit that the price/value ratio is very off.
nope
Wow, now you're just putting words in my mouth.

1. I've only claimed that it's the best Tape emulator out there. Period. Seems like there isn't much disagreement on that from anyone. It ain't just 'ME'.

2. You made a claim that I would never say anything 'negative'. I've proved that incorrect. Now you try to twist my somewhat negative (I'd rather say 'conflicting') feelings into wanting me to 'admit the price/value ratio is very off.' If I felt it was VERY off, I wouldn't have kept it. I was allowed to hold onto the ATS-1 until the 351 card came out (which it wasn't when I purchased it), once I got that card (and paid for that card), I decided to keep the whole shebang. The extra cost of the 351 card was minor in relative sense to the cost of the ATS-1, and the extra value the 351 card gave was way more than the $300 cost of the card, which bumped the cost/value ratio of everything into the range of a 'keeper' for me.

3. This is a high-end piece and we are in the high-end forum, so cost/value is skewed here anyway.

Look, you obviously have a BIG issue with Anamod and the ATS-1 product and price structure (am I putting words into your mouth on this?). If this is so, then don't buy it. I really don't care. All I was commenting on was your reasoning/logic and analogies you posted to support your big-issue claim. I thought most of it was skewed and somewhat irrelevant, but that is just IMO.

Sure, you could wait until used ATS-1's start going for good prices (if ever), they sure aren't now. How long did it take before used 480L's went for $4000?
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1302
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Wow, now you're just putting words in my mouth.

1. I've only claimed that it's the best Tape emulator out there. Period. Seems like there isn't much disagreement on that from anyone. It ain't just 'ME'.

2. You made a claim that I would never say anything 'negative'. I've proved that incorrect. Now you try to twist my somewhat negative (I'd rather say 'conflicting') feelings into wanting me to 'admit the price/value ratio is very off.' If I felt it was VERY off, I wouldn't have kept it. I was allowed to hold onto the ATS-1 until the 351 card came out (which it wasn't when I purchased it), once I got that card (and paid for that card), I decided to keep the whole shebang. The extra cost of the 351 card was minor in relative sense to the cost of the ATS-1, and the extra value the 351 card gave was way more than the $300 cost of the card, which bumped the cost/value ratio of everything into the range of a 'keeper' for me.

3. This is a high-end piece and we are in the high-end forum, so cost/value is skewed here anyway.

Look, you obviously have a BIG issue with Anamod and the ATS-1 product and price structure (am I putting words into your mouth on this?). If this is so, then don't buy it. I really don't care. All I was commenting on was your reasoning/logic and analogies you posted to support your big-issue claim. I thought most of it was skewed and somewhat irrelevant, but that is just IMO.
Yep that is just YOUR opinion and I have no problem with anamod or with the Ats-1 as ifYOU READ MY POSTS I want to try one out, I'm just not agreeing with the way they do business and sell you a half a$$ product to make you HAVE to buy the extras, that's MY point of view and I have every rights to think so !
I'm Done with this topicheh
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1303
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
Yep that is just YOUR opinion and I have no problem with anamod or with the Ats-1
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
as ifYOU READ MY POSTS I want to try one out, I'm just not agreeing with the way they do business and sell you a half a$$ product to make you HAVE to buy the extras, that's MY point of view and I have every rights to think so !
I'm Done with this topicheh
Your right, I can't figure you out. First you say you have NO problem with anamod or the ATS-1, then in the next sentence say I have to read your posts in which you list all your grievances with Anamod (how is that 'not' having a problem with Anamod?), and that you have a right to think that way.

You have no problem with them, you have lots of problems with them!

I'm fully confused
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1304
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I'm fully confused
yeah.. I figured...

I have no problem with the guys at Anamod, their gear or the ats in particular, I don't like their business model and the pricing on this unit, is that eeeeaaasier to understand?
just out of curiosity and in all honesty what is your relationship with Anamod?
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1305
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Wouldn't a lot of these arguments go away if you were simply allowed to pick what cards came with your unit?

I understand why some people are ticked off that they are forced to buy the unit with cards that they don't want, knowing full well that the cards they really want will cost more. I also understand and agree with the notion that business is business, supply and demand is the lay of the land and way too many people these days expect a lot of something for next to nothing.

I don't think Anamod should have to ship their unit with ALL of the card options for the same price as is currently offered. However, I also don't think people should be forced to buy a unit with options they know they don't want when the options they really want will cost additional money for what would be a horizontal, 1:1 replacement and would require no additional effort or money, on Anamod's part, to implement as an option in the first place.

Give people the option to pick the cards their unit ships with and everyone's happy. Well most anyway.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1306
Lives for gear
 
mdjice's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Wouldn't a lot of these arguments go away if you were simply allowed to pick what cards came with your unit?

I understand why some people are ticked off that they are forced to buy the unit with cards that they don't want, knowing full well that the cards they really want will cost more. I also understand and agree with the notion that business is business, supply and demand is the law of the land and way too many people these days expect a lot of something for next to nothing.

I don't think Anamod should have to ship their unit with ALL of the card options for the same price as is currently offered. However, I also don't think people should be forced to buy a unit with options they know they don't want when the options they really want will cost additional money while requiring Anamod to not spend any extra money or effort to implement that option in the first place.

Give people the option to pick the cards their unit ships with and everyone's happy. Well most anyway.
That would work for me !! great idea! now let's see if they do it knowing that it would kill their sales on the 351 etc... cards
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1307
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
just out of curiosity and in all honesty what is your relationship with Anamod?
Lets see.

I've talked/dealt with Greg on the phone when inquiring/ordering Anamod products.

I've bought and enjoyed their products, at the full listed price.

Since I've bought and enjoyed their products, I've posted positively about them here on a gear forum, like many others have done.

I'd LOVE to have a relationship with them to get a discount/kickback. Can you tell me how?

Why would you think anything otherwise?
Because I've posted they make the best tape emulator (IMO) out there? That's what everyone else (who's used it) also says.
Because I questioned your analogies?
Because you thought I would never post anything negative? Which you now know is incorrect?

Yet you're still suspicious?

Well now you know. I don't know them any better than anyone else who's talked to greg on the phone.

Besides, what does it matter? Lets assume I'm an Anamod Shill and their product is crap, a sham, a ploy. As soon as you get it, you can decide for yourself and send it back if you want for a refund (within their 10 day trial period). Being an Anamod shill would prove to be fruitless in such a case.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1308
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjice View Post
That would work for me !! great idea! now let's see if they do it knowing that it would kill their sales on the 351 etc... cards
It's true you can't pick the 'stock' cards that came with the unit from the get go. BUT, with the later developed optional cards, you can pick the cards you want and send back what you don't. The optional cards have the same 10 day trial period. So it makes sense, if you're gonna get the ATS-1, to get all the optional cards and send back what you don't like, with the exception of the stock loaded cards of course.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1309
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Maybe this will be an easier way to look at it.

Let's assume the ATS-1 is a tape machine/tape emulator that comes with 4 FREE cards. In the beginning, those 4 cards were the ONLY cards available.

I don't know why we have to assume, since this is all actually true.

Also, there have been posters who still use the stock machine cards even though they have the 351 card. It's still the best tape emulator even with the stock cards. Some have found the 351 card can be a bit much on everything all the time, and many may not want to mix through it. I can agree with this also in many cases.

It's not as straight forward as 'the ATS-1 only sounds great or best with the optional cards'. There have been posts here that wouldn't agree with that statement.

I currently only have the optional 351 card. But I do look forward to the 102 and 111 cards. Regardless, my ATS-1 is certainly not handicapped in anyway w/o the 102/111 cards, nor will it be handicapped when future cards come out that I don't yet have.
Old 2nd April 2010
  #1310
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Just wanted to remind you guys what jerks you are. Whenever I think I am good on gear and am not going to spend money on new toys I come on Gearslutz and you guys get your evil gear hooks back in me.

I NEED AN ANAMOD ATS-1!

Old 2nd April 2010
  #1311
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
send back what you don't like, with the exception of the stock loaded cards of course.
Isn't that the whole point of people's arguments though? Some people out there are saying why have any cards come stock? Just pick your poison when you purchase the unit.

The only argument in favor of the stock cards, that I can think of, is if Anamod was to say that they feel the stock cards give a fledling user of the Anamod the best overall sense of what the unit does. That way they don't send the unit back, not because it sucks but just because they didn't fully realize it's potential due to non-stock cards. I might agree with that notion if it wasn't for the fact that 99% of the crowd who might consider buying the Anamod is most definitely in the know and either frequents Gearslutz, moves around in the kinds of circles that make them fully aware of the optional cards, or both. Anybody considering buying this unit is fully aware of the optional cards and the discussions on the different types of sounds achievable with the different cards. I imagine that anyone who would order the Anamod with the 351 cards instead of the stock cards would do so because that's what they actually have decided they want, given the amount of discussion and sound files out there on the subject.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1312
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Isn't that the whole point of people's arguments though? Some people out there are saying why have any cards come stock? Just pick your poison when you purchase the unit.

.
I'm just playing devils advocate here and trying to put things into perspective.

I'm not sure of the logistical nightmare your scenario might create. Would Anamod still have the money back guarantee? The mainframe w/o cards won't work at all (like a 500 series rack). As for the cards, how would you know which ones you'll like w/o really trying them? Just order ALL of them and return what you don't like? Yeah, that would be fun for Anamod. Either that or don't offer a trail period on the cards and take your chances by ordering via popular opinion ala GS

Again, I've never said the ATS-1 is a bargain (don't think anyone has), but to use the 500 series racks as an analogy, when you break it down, the ATS-1 isn't so bad.

Exhibit A: ATS-1 unloaded value(?) is about $1800 (minus 4 cards at about $300ea). In this case it is a mainframe.

Exhibit B: Radial engineering workhorse 5000:


Here you have an empty 8 slot (same # as Anamod) chassis with controls for about $1000 street. Load that up with high-end modules and your in for a pretty penny. How many $300 modules are high-end?

Thing is, Anamod isn't selling an empty tape emulator main frame, and the idea of it seems a little strange. And, if Anamod were to offer it empty, how would it sell the cards? With a guarantee? Do you really think Anamod (or anyone) want's to deal with used cards being returned as people order ALL the cards and return what they don't want? Or that people would be cool with ordering cards with no trail period money back guarantee?

Maybe the solution Anamod currently has is not so unfair as it seems. No return on the stock loaded cards (unless you return the whole unit), but trail period returns offered on the optional cards.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1313
Lives for gear
 
Quint's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I'm just playing devils advocate here and trying to put things into perspective.

I'm not sure of the logistical nightmare your scenario might create. Would Anamod still have the money back guarantee? The mainframe w/o cards won't work at all (like a 500 series rack). As for the cards, how would you know which ones you'll like w/o really trying them? Just order ALL of them and return what you don't like? Yeah, that would be fun for Anamod. Either that or don't offer a trail period on the cards and take your chances by ordering via popular opinion ala GS

Again, I've never said the ATS-1 is a bargain (don't think anyone has), but to use the 500 series racks as an analogy, when you break it down, the ATS-1 isn't so bad.

Exhibit A: ATS-1 unloaded value(?) is about $1800 (minus 4 cards at about $300ea). In this case it is a mainframe.

Exhibit B: Radial engineering workhorse 5000:


Here you have an empty 8 slot (same # as Anamod) chassis with controls for about $1000 street. Load that up with high-end modules and your in for a pretty penny. How many $300 modules are high-end?

Thing is, Anamod isn't selling an empty tape emulator main frame, and the idea of it seems a little strange. And, if Anamod were to offer it empty, how would it sell the cards? With a guarantee? Do you really think Anamod (or anyone) want's to deal with used cards being returned as people order ALL the cards and return what they don't want? Or that people would be cool with ordering cards with no trail period money back guarantee?

Maybe the solution Anamod currently has is not so unfair as it seems. No return on the stock loaded cards (unless you return the whole unit), but trail period returns offered on the optional cards.
I kinda was playing devil's advocate myself with my last response so it's all good.

There's no reason it has to be a logistical nightmare.

a) Decide to buy the Anamod
b) Pick which card set you want with it
c) Listen to it and use it for the same trial period that any other company offers on their products
d) Keep it or return the whole thing.

Simple as that. Additional cards is a whole seperate matter.

I'm not advocating some kind of card switching mess. That being said, don't they already currently deal with such a scenario? I mean can't you order the box with or without as many additional cards as you want and return whatever you don't like?

However, using your analogy, it's not like there's any difference between what you're saying and if I was to say buy a lunchbox, subsequently purchase an API 550a, decide I didn't like it and return it.

It's up to Anamod to decide how they want to handle returns and exchanges. I just think you ought to be able to pick what cards you want to come with the unit. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Besides, all this card switching logistical nightmare stuff you're referring to has nothing to do with my original point. All I'm saying is that I don't see any good reason why you can't order the unit with whatever cards you want. These cards are all sitting on a shelf in their warehouse ready to go. There is no difference between shipping one set of cards or another with the unit in terms of money or effort. Absolutely none. I say let the buyer decide instead of deciding for them, especially since one of their selling points is that you can get multiple tape machine emulations. Otherwise it does come off as being a little sly on their part. I really don't see the point in forcing people to buy the unit with stock cards when there's no monetary downside to offering the option to pick which cards you want to ship with the unit.

If I order the unit with the stock cards and decide I don't like it and return it, there's no difference between that and if I had ordered the unit with the 351 cards and returned it because I decided I didn't like it. It's no skin off their back so I really don't see the difference.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1314
Lives for gear
 
Greg Wells's Avatar
I just sold my completely rocking Studer A827 because the Anamod sounds so wicked.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1315
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I'm not advocating some kind of card switching mess. That being said, don't they already currently deal with such a scenario? I mean can't you order the box with or without as many additional cards as you want and return whatever you don't like?
You can order the unit with ALL the additional optional cards and return any of the optional cards you like, but not any of the 4 stock cards all the units come loaded with. And of course you can return the ATS-1 as a whole unit loaded with the 4 stock cards.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1316
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
I just sold my completely rocking Studer A827 because the Anamod sounds so wicked.
so will you get multiple anamods for multitracking or apply on a per track basis after the fact? thanks for the post Greg. never got to compare the ATS to real tape but from memory it sure did it for me.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1317
Gear Guru
 
RoundBadge's Avatar
we've got an 827 just sitting in the corner.
sell it or just dive in and get a 16 track headstack and Clasp it to run w/ it?
lotta $
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1318
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
we've got an 827 just sitting in the corner.
sell it or just dive in and get a 16 track headstack and Clasp it to run w/ it?
lotta $
maybe if we whine long enough they'll make an 8 track anamod. even if it only had one or two cards p/channel i'd go for it.
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1319
Gear Addict
 
smashbrand's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
I just think you ought to be able to pick what cards you want to come with the unit. Nothing more. Nothing less.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Wells View Post
I just sold my completely rocking ATR-104 because the Anamod sounds so wicked.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
maybe if we whine long enough they'll make an 8 track anamod. even if it only had one or two cards p/channel i'd go for it.
And this
Old 3rd April 2010
  #1320
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
maybe if we whine long enough they'll make an 8 track anamod. even if it only had one or two cards p/channel i'd go for it.
All add my double tracked whine to this heh

I think I whined for something like this from the get go.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump