The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinc View Post
I think it`s a good thing that it`s a bit more of a subtle effect considering theres things like the FATSO out there which you can really load up a bit more on.

If you have 1 of each or one of the other distortion boxes out there you could get all sorts of different shades going on.
i hope i didn't give the wrong idea. by subtle i actually meant it wasn't the huge difference that some might expect to hear, but it did remind me very much of my tape days. no less, no more. really look forward to their ATR 102 simm.

to reiterate, from memory i think they did a great job. would like to A/B to an actual machine though.
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear

Great @ sounding close to the real thing. thumbsup

I`m definitely going to have to try one of these out someday.
Old 8th October 2007
Here for the gear

Hello,

I remember testing the unit in Vienna during the last AES convention.
Probably quiter than in NY but all I can say is that we could hear every settings modification through headphones. The unit really kicked our a$$ in Vienna !

Christophe
Old 8th October 2007
Lives for gear

Good to hear Christophe!
Old 9th October 2007
The Distressor's "daddy"

Holy Ampex 456, Batman!

I played with the Anamod again at this AES and think its an amazing box, with well concieved features, functions, and upgrade paths. When you really crank it till it craps out... well... it sounds just like analog tape crapping out! A very good sign for when its used more subtly, as it will almost always be. The only thing I think they left out... was the tape Hiss and Bias Rocks.

If Dave and Greg were really good friends, they would share the schematics with me.
I know they wouldnt want me to strain my eyes looking thru the top cover, or tracing the PC Boards trying to figure out whats going on. So Dave and Greg, when you print out the schematics for me, could you make the print out kind of big, so there won't be any eye strain at all?

I would wish them luck, but with such an excellant product, I dont think they will need it.

GREAT WORK, YA BASTIDS!
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Come on folks,

If Papa Fatso has that to say...what else do you want?

Other than the box itself? Nice one Dave...pretty classy!
Old 9th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Nice one Dave...pretty classy!

I second that!

Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

OK, someone seriously needs to post some before and after wave files!
Old 9th October 2007
Yea it sounds great ... and it does have a tape hiss control Dave!

The thing I liked, in addition to the dynamic color/sound, was the subtlety of the LF/HF/Bias controls. Everything useful, nothing too extreme.
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

I listened to the unit on headphones at TapeOp earlier this summer. I have to admit that it was way too subtle for me to really grasp what was going on in that setting. Obviously I could hear it crap out when I cranked the controls, but that's probably not how you'd use the thing most of the time. And I could hear the hiss of course. I have a FATSO and that thing can be pretty subtle But the Anamod was even more so to my ears. I must admit I don't have any real experience recording to tape other than cassette 4-track so I didn't feel that I could readily identify with what this box might be capable of. I think it's probably the kind of thing you'd have to track a whole record through to understand how it's changing your audio. Right now I feel my money is better spent on other more obvious things like a second Distressor or a Germanium compressor.

Brad
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
I played with the Anamod again at this AES and think its an amazing box, with well concieved features, functions, and upgrade paths. When you really crank it till it craps out... well... it sounds just like analog tape crapping out! A very good sign for when its used more subtly, as it will almost always be. The only thing I think they left out... was the tape Hiss and Bias Rocks.

If Dave and Greg were really good friends, they would share the schematics with me.
I know they wouldnt want me to strain my eyes looking thru the top cover, or tracing the PC Boards trying to figure out whats going on. So Dave and Greg, when you print out the schematics for me, could you make the print out kind of big, so there won't be any eye strain at all?

I would wish them luck, but with such an excellant product, I dont think they will need it.

GREAT WORK, YA BASTIDS!
Not a good idea to be distressin' your eyes over those schematics. heh

Class act, Dave. Love your El Fatso--use it every day.

Laser
Old 9th October 2007
Gear Maniac

I've got one Fatso.

If I may ask, what will be the status and use of the Fatso now that something like the anamod exists? I mean, the original vocation of the Fatso was to emulate tape like the anamod does it so well seemingly…
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

You should sell it to me! Cheap and fast!

Its a good question...kinda funny, but good. I'll let Dave chime in on what his child will do now. heh

Flavours, versatility and abuse are words that come to mind on why you may want both, though! Oh yeah...and a HEDD...and...
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Fatso has so many other uses....and one of my main uses is as a de-esser....which it excels in to me. It can also be much more aggressive.

BTW, I think the tape-hiss thingy on the anamod is ridiculous

I mean, com'on.
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by khai View Post
I've got one Fatso.

If I may ask, what will be the status and use of the Fatso now that something like the anamod exists? I mean, the original vocation of the Fatso was to emulate tape like the anamod does it so well seemingly…
Fatso never did it to me in full extent and I never considered it as tape simulation. Portico is closer to that task, but also far from being there.
If Anamod can do 98% of what we can hear when signal passes through tape, than it is almost must have. Lot of speculation here BTW.
I kept Portico for other effect purposes and didn't keep Fatso.
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Dave Derr is the man.

I can't wait for this box. I have been waiting for it for a long time.
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Addict

ordering email

i got an email from them last night saying that i could advance order the unit now, as it will be shipping on November 1st.

...but no info on which tape machine models or tape formulations will be in there..

...no clips... anywhere...

i guess i'll have to wait for the gearslutz community to do their marketing work for them.

*still discouraged*
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle barton View Post
*still discouraged*
Matches your avatar well!
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Maniac

An interesting email from them...

The AnaMod ATS-1 Analog Tape Simulator will begin shipping on November 1st, 2007. The price of the ATS-1 $2,995.00 plus shipping, and
is available directly from AnaMod in the US. Orders are currently being accepted on the ATS-1 at (201) 728-8490.
International sales will be by distribution, with a list of distributors available at www.anamodaudio.com in the next two weeks.

Great
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Addict

More email

I guess i squawked too soon. Got another email from Anamod this morning with the following information...
"The stock ATS-1 comes equipped with the 3M M79 and Studer A800 Machine models, and GP9 and Ampex 456 tape models.

It is sold with a 10 day money-back guarantee.

The price of additional cards has not yet been determined, but will most likely be a few hundred dollars. The actual price of each card depends on the circuit complexity of the specific machine type and tape formulation models."
I heard they are also working on an ATR102 card. i keep wanting to ignore the hype, but i just can't. i've never owned a real tape machine, and i'm super-scared of the maintenance. i'd pay a premium for this box to avoid the problems with real tape.

based on all the glowing reports, i keep wanting to think that this emulation is going to be 90% as good as the real thing. but then, i wanted to think the same thing about the Line6 when it came out, and i was proven wrong.

greg and company, i'm still rooting for you. please make me a believer!
Old 10th October 2007
Here for the gear

So I guess I'll have to buy it to try it out. Don't really like doing that without having some clips of the gear or some testimonials of people who have used it. But, that's alright. They're willing to give your money back if you don't like it after 10 days. That should be enough time to run a bunch of tracks through. Hope I can keep it around. Both my tape machines are looking for some vacation time.
Old 10th October 2007
It's not empty hype. If I recorded digitally I'd get 4 asap. Upgraded cards are not needed, just good fun. A 2 track deck for mixdown is still a good thing but tracking is where the big impact of tape is most needed. With this you can tune each track to the source. It should lessen the work you do, and the other boxes you'll need to mix.
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
tracking is where the big impact of tape is most needed.
exactly, so will we have to get 8 of these for tracking?! or maybe apply anamod after tracking. should work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Derr View Post
GREAT WORK, YA BASTIDS!
didn't see you at the show dave! anyway, i can't see getting rid of my fatso even with anamod or a real tape machine. i'm a fatso fan for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle barton View Post
The stock ATS-1 comes equipped with the 3M M79 and Studer A800 Machine models, and GP9 and Ampex 456 tape models."
at the show they also had ampex 350. really nice on drums.
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Fully agree
me tooheh
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Dave Derr is the man.

I can't wait for this box. I have been waiting for it for a long time.
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Someone PLEASE post samples!!!
Old 13th October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Someone PLEASE post samples!!!
They've been to a few trade shows, but no sales yet.
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe nobtwiddler could post some samples since it looks like it's been in his studio. Maybe he's not allowed, top secret at this point. Here's some info Anamod emailed me today.

The AnaMod ATS-1 Analog Tape Simulator will begin shipping on November 1st, 2007. The price of the ATS-1 $2,995.00 plus shipping, and is available directly from AnaMod in the US. The ATS-1 comes equipped with the 3M M79 and Studer A800 Machine models, and GP9 and Ampex 456 tape models. The price of additional cards has not yet been determined, but will most likely be a few hundred dollars, depending on the complexity of the models..

Orders are currently being accepted on the ATS-1 at (201) 728-8490. All orders come with a 10 day money-back guarantee.

We feel the proper way to judge the ATS-1 is in your studio, on your tracks or sources. There are many combinations of parameters (speed, machine type, tape formulation, Bias, LF and HF EQ, how hard you're hitting the 'tape', etc.) that allow you to tailor the sound of the ATS-1 to your own taste. It's also important to evaluate how your own tracks lay against one another after processing, and hear how the the ATS-1 aids in mixing them.

Thank you for your interest in the ATS-1.

Best Regards,

Greg Gualtieri

AnaMod

Neue Seite 1
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

If the modelling in AnaMod can get close to tape, I assume it is possible in software. I probably wait for Waves (or someone else) Reel or tape series
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
If the modelling in AnaMod can get close to tape, I assume it is possible in software. I probably wait for Waves (or someone else) Reel or tape series
Digi alread did it: 'Reel Tape'. Dave Amels developed it.
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
Digi alread did it: 'Reel Tape'. Dave Amels developed it.
But the ProTools only and I am not sure if Digi plugs are really high end compared to Waves. My 2 cents.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search