The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
Well that's what's so hard to understand. He was God and man at the same time. Now try to wrap your brain around that!
heh
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
10 days is not a long time to evaluate gear.
Oh brother...hear we go again
Compared to randomly sending some files off to some other studio?
Dude its a no win situation with you.you're gonna argue this point to your grave
good luck.
this thread has become a complete ****ing bore..I'm out
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Peacock, as someone who has a similar setup to you... (radar) (Analog Board) etc..

I think the Anamod compliments them in a great way..

It can be subtle or not so subtle..

I think its worth a try. Especially with the 351 card.

I have already used it on Bass, guitar, vox, overheads, acoustic..

It aint going back.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Would you mix a simple song for me using the Ana-mod in front of the CD (to emulate tape mix) recorder so i can hear its characteristics and compare it to my MCI tape deck. I would appreciate it very much. What kind of console do you have? I only have interest in its ability on mix. If I want analog tracking I use the MCI deck.
Go for it Heyman, could be some quick easy $$$
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
We all have different likes and dislikes. You like Duran Duran. I like Elliot Smith etc. Some perfect recordings for me were done with 2 spaced omnis straight to 2 track.
The engineer and the producer that have done a few of Elliott Smith's albums have used my Anamod, and recently tried it with the 351 card, this is what I was told>>>
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Would you mix a simple song for me using the Ana-mod in front of the CD (to emulate tape mix) recorder so i can hear its characteristics and compare it to my MCI tape deck. I would appreciate it very much. What kind of console do you have? I only have interest in its ability on mix. If I want analog tracking I use the MCI deck.
Maybe I will bite. I am going out of town for a couple weeks, but when I get back, if you are still interested, I can do this for you. You can send me a 2 track mixdown to put through the ats-1 or you can send individual files for me to mix through my Tonelux mixer into the ats-1. I can do different tape machine/tape combos and driving it at different levels to try to give you an idea of different settings. I still think it is in your best interest to demo it for yourself, but if you really want, I can do this for you. PM me if you are interested. . .
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which of the engineers / producers did you have use it. Did they buy the anamod after you let them demo it.
I'm not gonna say as I don't want it being construed as a endorsement by them for a product.

Quote:
I like the stuff Elliot did not necessarily the engineer.
That really depends on what album(s) you are talking about...

Quote:
But if that is the case my interest is peaked. I would like to hear it. I do not know anyone I can borrow/demo it from on the East coast. .
You can borrow it from here (with deposit), Anamod Audio

Tip: If you get it charged to your card at the beginning of the billing cycle, you should be able to return the anamod for the charge back before the end of the billing cycle, so you will not have to come up with the $3k cash or endure interest charges.

Quote:
Elliot did record most of his material himself.
Not on much of his later albums....not at ALL.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Kowmashev View Post
I still think it is in your best interest to demo it for yourself, but if you really want, I can do this for you. .
Just got sep/oct Tape Op issue today and there is a very long review on the Anamod ATS-1.

I suggest Peacock read that review because what he will get most out of that review is the infinite amount of possibilities (settings) that can not possibly be covered by someone recording a few samples.

The review is very thorough. One of the longest reviews tape op has ever done.

Yet there is still something very strange about a person who says 10 days with the Anamod box isn't long enough to evaluate, yet a few emailed samples will do
Old 23rd September 2008
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Just got sep/oct Tape Op issue today and there is a very long review on the Anamod ATS-1.

I suggest Peacock read that review because what he will get most out of that review is the infinite amount of possibilities (settings) that can not possibly be covered by someone recording a few samples.

The review is very thorough. One of the longest reviews tape op as ever done.

Yet there is still something very strange about a person who says 10 days with the Anamod box isn't long enough to evaluate, yet a few emailed samples will do
Exactly. The best I can do is provide a few samples of settings that I like. . . someone with different tastes might go for a completely different, yet cool, sound.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

If all the pu$$ies would man up and do the trial, this thread would be filled with acclaim and no doubters.
Old 23rd September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
If all the pu$$ies would man up and do the trial, this thread would be filled with acclaim and no doubters.
I knew I was a Man! No matter what my mommy told me

Guess I should change my avatar heh
Old 24th September 2008
Lives for gear

"One thing I do not like is infinite amount of possibilities. (The paradox of choice) infinite possibilities is a good way to ruin a recording"

Umm... It sounds like it is more of an issue with the way that you work rather than the sound of this box..

Dont take that the wrong way.. I think you like to have limitations and work within those. Thats your style, your comfort level..

But honestly, its just a box with some knobs.. Plug it in .. twist some knobs..

Thats it...
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
DKowmashkev is going to run a mix through the Ana-mod for me. He has already sent the contact info and I will be mailing him a mix. I appreciate his effort and I have thanked him for it. I am sending him a 96/24 wav mix not email.

Well, Peacock you got what you wanted and succeeded. And I congratulate you for not letting anyone pressure you. You have a men who man up intelligently and some who just man up and get knocked on their ass like a knucklehead. At I glad to see there was least one man out there able to man up and do this sample for you. Thats what I call manning up

Good luck and hop you post your observations on this mystery box. I just don't understand why Anamod won't simply post some samples for everyone to hear? Is it that difficult? Don't they care to sell these? Strange. As a great alternative, you can demo all the analog tape plug ins online. Digidesign Reel Tape saturation which supposedly has the same math as the ATS-1. Or you can try the AC2 from McDsp which does a fine job of emulating. Lot of Industry Pros use this plug. Or you can buy a used portico tape emulator any give month on Ebay for a great price. Somebody is always selling one.

Good luck.
Old 24th September 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Well, I guess I am a pussy eh? heh only if you knew how much good Punn was offered to me each and everyday.

I think if Anamod would post some samples or yourself since you own one, there would be no need for a 10 day free trial, at least not for most of us.

Yea, it would be nice to have it in your studio. But hearing good A/B files against a real tape machine would give me enough to base my decision on dropping $3200 or not.

Do you mind posting a few basic samples to help promote the product? So us woosy pussies might man up like you have?
Old 25th September 2008
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by aberwastone View Post
Well, I guess I am a pussy eh? heh only if you knew how much good Punn was offered to me each and everyday.

I think if Anamod would post some samples or yourself since you own one, there would be no need for a 10 day free trial, at least not for most of us.

Yea, it would be nice to have it in your studio. But hearing good A/B files against a real tape machine would give me enough to base my decision on dropping $3200 or not.

Do you mind posting a few basic samples to help promote the product? So us woosy pussies might man up like you have?
Hey Aberwastone ... i'm cnfused ... aren't you the guy that has an ATS-1 currently listed on ebay?
Perhaps you didn't have time to A - B?
Or perhaps no tape machines to A - B with?
Not trying to be a thorn, just curious.
Old 25th September 2008
Gear Guru

It wasn't his unit..he was just being friendly and posting a link
Old 25th September 2008
Gear Addict
Thanks RB for clarifying.
Appreciated Aberwastone's ebay tip,
somehow it just seemed kinda...um...interpretive, here.

Staying tuned.
Old 26th September 2008
Gear Addict

nice writeup on Anamod in TapeOp this month. best description yet of how the bias knob can be used
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

That bias knob does some pretty nice things to the sound. I usually end up twisting it counterclockwise.
Old 26th September 2008
Gear Addict

Tape Op review says it perfectly.

In the new Tape Op there is a review that sums up the Anamod PERFECTLY.

After buying and using one 2 EP's that I'm in the middle of, I found the article to state some things that rang true with me, someone who's had one for a while.

First off you'll notice that the review in tape Op nearly covers 2 pages!! this is the largest I've ever seen and would indicate how complicated it is to explain and compare this complex unit..my friends still go cross-eyed when I explain it to them as do I, HA.

The writer states that there really is no way to create a "apples to apples comparison here." But goes on to say "On a Billy Nayer Show tune I recorded and mixed to the Studer 2-track and to Pro Tools, I got very close to emulating the analog sound using the ATS-1's Studer A800 model, but actually appreciated what some of the other combinations were doing better. Again, for me, this box is about having that magic machine room with all those decks and reels."

This is True; there really is no way to create a perfect A/B comparison, although someone could easily post before and after files for folks here on gearsluts to check out.
But there is a problem with that, we all mix different with more bass different eq's etc., this is "our perspective" and whoever posts the affected mixes up here may tweek the bass bias or the HF bias or overdrive the machine more than any particular person might like....it's so subjective and that is the problem with evaluating this box with a single stereo file comparason ......it's way easier to tell if this is the right tool for you if you have it in your hands.

Also, having all the other tape and machine formulations was a seller for me too.

Here's another quote that is very, very true:
"I want to stress that the sonic impact of the ATS-1 (and tape in general) is subtle, even hard for the inexperienced ear to hear. Hearing the difference between the tape formulas, and how they react t being driven differently, is something akin to tasting wine and being able to identify the wod of the aging barrels. At $2995 list, the ATS-1 might be a hard sell for those who can't taste the wood, so to speak."

THAT IS A PERFECT QUOTE DESCRIBING THIS UNIT, although I would never say that I am some sort of uber super ear recordist....that would be lame

But, it took me 3 days to commit to buying this unit. I invited a friend over who had worked with tape a lot more than I at the old Cello studios, and by the time he made it over I had 2 days with it comparing back and forth. I fell in love with what it did with subtle compression and softening. My friend listened and gave it the big thumbs up and that was it.....but even after that it wasn't until I was 3 songs into this recent record where it is on EVERYTHING that I got really excited.....

Now, I am beginning to hear the differances between the formulas and how the bias controls and hitting harder or softer effects the sound.

This is a crazy complex box that really have to dig into to understand and appreciate to its fullest (read full price worth).

So if you're interested in the unit do the 10 day thing.

If you're on the fence and really like tools that are over the top pumping/ night and day differences and you're fairly new at recording.....wait, you may not hear it right away and bum yourself out.

If you have Andy Wallace ears and know exactly what you want then ask someone for a stereo before and after file....still I think this is like judging a new swiss army knife off of the the tooth pick tool only, but hey you're Andy Wallace you can do anything! Or should I say Audio McGiver?!?

Now I have to get to work, sadly I've just spent 45 caffienated minutes that I could have been working.........I hope this helps,
C
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

I have posted this questions to another thread but never got much feedback so let me try again:

I remembered long time ago I recorded something onto tape and I hit it real hard with the levels into the red area and everything. Then I heard the result was f7cking great and not subtle at all. Almost everything was so much more ... tape-y... heh At the expense of clarity of course, because all the HF content was squished to death.

I have heard that the AnaMod can do something like that with the BIAS control. Has anyone tried it? I suppose I can mix some of the original signal back (something not unlike parallel compression) or maybe try some EQ either with the on boad controls or with an external EQ to get the proper balance.

What do you guys think? Can it be done?

How do you use the BIAS control?
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Darkness.. In a word.. yes.. Turning the bias control does lovely things to the Low end or high end depending which way you turn it.. Either way... It sounds great, never harsh.. I use it like atone filter of sorts..

Combine that with how you adjust the input and ouput level and some interesting things happen.
Old 26th September 2008
Gear Addict

smashing audio with the anamod

Ok taking a break from a mix so I can justify another post...

to answer Darkness, maybe...see my take on it below:

Yes...the Anamod when pushed hard glues everything into a great solid mix...more so than any comp I've used, except a fairchild or M66 (tranny thud).

But, when you push it that hard with the drum buss the kick starts to lose punch or the "clarity" you mentioned.

Cool effect if you blend it in.

using the different tape and machine settings helps bring back some clarity.

In modest amounts it's saving my drums (minus kick, not going thru the buss) right now.

C.
Old 26th September 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys. I have my eyes on the AnaMod, it's second on my buy list.thumbsup
Old 27th September 2008
TYY
Gear Addict

Forgive me for not reading all 35 pages (though I've read many)...

Can the Anamod also give me the CLEAN tape sound magic? You know, like I'm Chet Atkins and it's 1964?
Old 27th September 2008
Lives for gear

Not sure exactly what you mean, but yes.

It can do what tape and tape machines do, along with the adjustments, drive levels and the effects of that on your sound.
Old 27th September 2008
TYY
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not sure exactly what you mean, but yes.

It can do what tape and tape machines do, along with the adjustments, drive levels and the effects of that on your sound.
OK, but if you're not driving the 'tape' hard, what sonic effect does it have? Because tape is about more than just distortion (at least I think so).
Old 27th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYY View Post
OK, but if you're not driving the 'tape' hard, what sonic effect does it have? Because tape is about more than just distortion (at least I think so).
A similar sonic effect that tape has, cleaner, less break up, still some softening of transients, still some glue, etc., etc., etc.....

Like I said, it acts just like tape in a tape machine (sonically).

Except Anamod can do what tape/machines can't, it can do it with no noise/hiss. So you don't have to worry about s/n ratio with the anamod, you can hit it as little or as hard as you want.

And BTW, anything that changes the sound is distortion from the original sound.
Old 27th September 2008
TYY
Gear Addict

Quote:
And BTW, anything that changes the sound is distortion from the original sound.
By English language standards, yes. But in audio, distortion is generally referred to as clipping of waveforms. It is that definition to which I was referring.
Old 27th September 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYY View Post
By English language standards, yes. But in audio, distortion is generally referred to as clipping of waveforms. It is that definition to which I was referring.
Nope.

Distortion is many things, many flavors....bad, good (that's the subjective part).

Of course clipping waveforms is a form of distortion (extreme).

You are thinking of one kind of distortion (extreme waveform clipping), which even within itself has many different sounds.

Audio distortion>>>

Distortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You don't have to clip a waveform to have distortion.

And Tape doesn't square wave clip a waveform anyway.

Last edited by Fleaman; 27th September 2008 at 01:43 AM.. Reason: just because

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search