The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 20th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys View Post
See, this is exactly what this is all about. From your description one would elieve there will be a pretty huge difference between your nontaped mix and the mix coming off half inch tape. but in reality if you posted the original mix vs the taped one, most probably everyone would say there is a difference but it is small.
do you have a mix of yours straight out the console vs the same mix to tape before the converters? That would be most revealing for everyone.

Because really, the Anamod does emulate tape very very well. But strapped on a mix the anamod as well as real tape do a little bit of something, it is not a night and day difference at all. I will post files soon with the anamod over a mix. The problem is that all the talking makes people believe tape makes a night and day difference. Listening actually would show people that the fantasy they have about it is no more than a fantasy and that the real benefit of it is pretty small (as all the real benefits turn out to be...with pres, converters etc...)

rock on!
Pat
yes i have several mixes i recently did that I've printed direct from the mixing desk and a taped version both into DCS converters, I'm not sure my clients will agree to post them but i will ask for their permission.

will happy to listen if you will share yours, again thank you for your efforts for this thread

for me it's not subtle difference between both versions, I've used the tape as a processor to help me to get the sound i had in mind for the these mixes, the producer shared the same "vision" with me and we were both happy with the results.

in the last year i did very little work for record labels, the artists or their managers are my direct clients recently, it is good and bad i believe but it's very challenging, many times i get songs to mix that somebody has already mixed or maybe two people has mixed before me,it's not applying for all of my clients of course.. the major artists expects to see certain things at a studio and they are usually working at good studios, but for inexperienced ones at first the producer thought he can achieve his sound alone in his home with some great pluggins and KRK's, he is mixing it over and over again and don't get "THE" sound, then he is thinking "mastering will probably solve it" then he tries to master it over and over again but still, he doesn't get "THAT" sound, then he is going to his body which is an assistant engineer and does some vocal overdubbing at that studio, he mix it and the guy still not happy.. he likes what he did alone better but still.. where is "THAT" sound ? now the prophecy reveals to him and he is thinking "lets try a real studio" then he arrives and finds only a subtle difference between the API plugins to my API's, then even a more subtle difference with the SSL's, same goes with the Neves and Pultecs and now he finds a small but audible difference between his channels software EQ's to the GML's, "all this small differences is no justifying going to a real studio, i could do it all alone", at the end of the day the guy takes the mix home and stunned for what he is got, with all the subtle differences made a huge difference the analog fairytale does exist ! the song is kicking !

i think this is the "era of subtle differences"
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
at the end of the day the guy takes the mix home and stunned for what he is got, with all the subtle differences made a huge difference the analog fairytale does exist ! the song is kicking !
don't forget your know-how may have had a little to do with the final results bro... but i do agree that if you stick a zener on the room mic or drum sub for example the difference becomes a little more than subtle.

Quote:
i think it's always been the era of subtle differences. from the song to the performance to the recording process. when it goes from OK, to good, to great. different worlds.
Old 20th April 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
but for inexperienced ones at first the producer thought he can achieve his sound alone in his home with some great pluggins and KRK's, he is mixing it over and over again and don't get "THE" sound, *snip*

Hey Tan

I would agree with your post (good stuff ).... but I would like to point out where the"inexperienced ones" make their mistakes usually.

It's not the mastering, it's not the mix, it's not the tracking, it's not the performance, it's not the song

It's the whole shooting match.

The reason why many major label releases have "THAT" sound is because each step of the way there were good people working in good rooms with good equipment rolling their sleeves up to pitch in.

Yes these differences in gear choice are pretty subtle... but over the course of each stage of the production, combined with people who know how to make the most out of them is what separates the men from the boys as raal said.

If someone tracked a crappy performance of a crappy song in a crappy room using crappy gear they should not expect huge a huge difference between their mix with crappy gear and a mix with millions of dollars with of equipment.

The point is, subtle differences DO add up. Use the best equipment we can, in the best rooms, get the best performance and our mixing will get loads easier and finished productions will get "THAT" sound.

I have not tried one yet but I think the Anamod would fit into that picture of "subtle but good" equipment that can help achieve these goals.

thumbsup
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys View Post
Two updates. First, I received the 351 card. Had no time yet to do tests and clips, but will do so next week. Used it for two songs without doing too much comparison...sounds nice but I am not sure if it really sounds "much better" than the other two cards. The tests and clips will reveal that soon.

Rock on!
Pat
Try it on Drum buss (live drums).

As others have mentioned, running it on the mix buss is like running tape at that stage, subtle. Unless it's a drum heavy mix.

There is a huge difference with the 351 card on drums thumbsup

Even so, it's still better on the mix buss....the bottom holds up better, bigger, etc.
Old 20th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Try it on Drum buss (live drums).

As others have mentioned, running it on the mix buss is like running tape at that stage, subtle. Unless it's a drum heavy mix.

There is a huge difference with the 351 card on drums thumbsup

Even so, it's still better on the mix buss....the bottom holds up better, bigger, etc.
Will do it and post the files this week if time allows.....
Old 20th April 2008
Gear Guru

All's i know is I sent Raal's unit off on Friday .
I've been mixing through the 351 card for a few weeks
I already miss it.
..does a real cool gel/light compression/thickening effect on kick /snare/bass guitar and a subtle overall sweetening effect to the hi's.
At this point,I don't even care if it sounds exactly like a real 350.
plain and simple, its a cool box.

Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

Roundbadge,, I couldnt agree more. Get past the price and enjoy the thing.

I got used to it.. Decided to bypass it during a gtr session today just to see and I turned right around and re-eanbled it..

It sounds really natural. Just like hitting real tape....

rather than some effects where it sounds like your placing something over the signal and masking it.
Old 21st April 2008
Lives for gear

quick update:

yes, the 351 does sound better (in my sonic world) than the other two machines. the bass is not crippled at high saturation settings and stays full. like it a lot more on drums and bass than the other machines. made files, need some time to upload them...

Rock on!
Pat
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, what a huge and stirring thread.

I must say after skimming it I draw the following conclusions hopefully correctly for a young startout like myself with limited equipment so far:

1. In a lot of respected members opinions, this unit is closer to tape than most/all of the emulations out there.

2. Not having ANYTHING remotely like tape in my chain (good pre's ad and da16x's but no analog tape like things) I could imagine for someone like me this could be a "magic bullet" not that it is for anyone already with a lot of great tape like tools, but for a user like it it could be amazing, considering i live with every day a full warm sound i create, but a digital one nonetheless.

Personally i find this about my setup: It can sound great and warm but needs extensive effort to be so, and even with that effort without lots of tools I end up with something that is truely digital sounding, quality, but digital. This is not what i want long term. Would i appreciate this unit? i think so....

Russell
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Russel..
Use it for tracking.. Little bits here and there will add up. Then use it on you mix as well.

Although the price is high, the 351 card(which is ordered seperatly) is the best yet.

Cant wait to hear the 102 card.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Russell,

There's a money back trial period, if you're here in the U.S. all you'd be out is shipping costs (which are low, even from anamod). It is the only way to know for sure if this unit is right for you.

But from the way you wrote your post, I suspect you are not in the U.S.....

If you think tape is a 'magic bullet', then this would be the unit to get, if you don't or can't do tape.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Nope, Canada, so we'll have to see if i can get my hands on one to test somehow.

Thanks for the input,

Russell
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Again, demo it with the 351 card.
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

I'll see what i can do! : )
Old 24th April 2008
Lives for gear

Currently the price is too high. Especially when any real studio has a tape machine and one can use a $25 reel of tape. That's what we do here.

I feel the box should be $ 1599.95
Old 24th April 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
Currently the price is too high. Especially when any real studio has a tape machine and one can use a $25 reel of tape. That's what we do here.

I'm gonna have to agree here. I'm sure someone could explain why it costs as much as it does.. I can't remember if that happened somewhere in this thread, but I'm not buying it (the explanation of the price anyways). I think it's just one of those cases where they grabbed an MSRP out of the air and stuck with it. It is unique enough where they can get away with charging pretty much whatever they want. There are other tape sim hardware units out there, but I think Anamod knows that there's is the one that really WORKS, hence the price.

Now I wonder if me saying I refuse to pay this price is gonna make them drop the price?
Old 25th April 2008
Lives for gear

I think time will tell if their chosen price is a fair or justified one. Personally I feel they would sell many more units if the price was lower. If it were $1600 I'd buy one almost certainly. One thing that must be considered is that they need to establish the brand in the industry. If they had released it out of the gates at $1599 then the perceived value and usefulness of the unit might be less and it might have stifled initial sales. Often as consumers we perceive price as a measure of quality. It's expensive therefore it must be really good. We all know that's not always the case. But when marketing a product that mentality must be considered.

Perhaps once the word is out and the reputation of the unit is established, then it will make business sense for them to drop the price. If the demand increases then the production rate can be increased and the cost can come down.

Personally I'd love to see more U.S. manufacturers think outside of the "only quality products can be made in the U.S." box and embrace the notion that there's a global economy out there. I think Alan Hyatt from PMI, and the guys in charge of SE Electronics and Chameleon Labs have done well in that regard.

Brad
Old 25th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Currently the price is too high.

Hi there,

This is a very interesting point here.
But with a new product like this I think the price at this moment is a fair one.
You see, that guys have realy studied and made a lot of costs in the development stage.
There are many commercial aspects that all brings extra costs.
First they have to reach the break even point before they even might think about a lower price.
Off course if it's lower maybe it sells a bit more.
But then there is the exclusivity reason.
Would Ferrari sell their cars for the same price as a Skoda ?
Best components, best quallity, best performance often goes with a cheap price.
Talking in gear, no Tube Tech or Millenia goes for a Behringer price
We'll see if price drops one day.

Greetz,

Paul
Old 25th April 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I think time will tell if their chosen price is a fair or justified one. Personally I feel they would sell many more units if the price was lower.
the impression i get is they can't keep up with the orders as is so why would they lower the price? i had to wait awhile for mine. still waiting for the frikkin thing to get to mexico>customs etc. but that's moan zone territory.

anyway if they ramped up to be able to produce larger quantities i'm sure they could drop the price (conjecture) but for the time being i think it stays as is. the biggest advantage for me is the fact that it doesn't take up the real estate several tape machines would. i wish they'd release an 8 channel version even if it only had 1 or 2 simms. that would be the ****e.
Old 25th April 2008
Lives for gear

I also would have been happier with a 8 channel version for 5.000.- dollars than 2 channels for 3.000.-

still had no time to post 351 files, but I will, I promise....

rock on!
Pat
Old 26th April 2008
I think it is worth $3k and I would buy it again for that price.
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kress View Post
I think it is worth $3k and I would buy it again for that price.
The 351 card made it worthwhile @ $3k....to me.

w/o the 351 card it would have still been worthwhile @ $3k, but hard for me to justify as I'm not a millionaire

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the 351 card was the deciding factor in me keeping it.

Now I gotta try out that Scotch 111 tape card.....anyone try it yet?? The trial period extends to the optional cards too!

I'm sure at some point Anamod will come out with a 4 or 8ch version that's cheaper per channel than the current 2ch, yet that could be a few years from now...
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Now I gotta try out that Scotch 111 tape card.....anyone try it yet??
heard it at AES. made a big difference too and worth having imo. the coolest thing is you can make 'make' a 350 stereo and use more modern tape formulations. alot to play with. if the 102 simm cuts it this machine will achieve bargain status in my book.

could someone elaborate as to what the difference in sound is between a 350 and a 351 and which one anamod modeled? AnalogRules / BASE - the differences between the Ampex 350 and 351 model TUBE tape recorders maybe i'll ask in that 'things you should know' thread.

i wish someone here had a real A800 to compare to their anamod. from memory it did remind me of the ones we had... that and the 350 simm are the winners for me so far.
Old 26th April 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
heard it at AES. made a big difference too and worth having imo. the coolest thing is you can make 'make' a 350 stereo and use more modern tape formulations. alot to play with. if the 102 simm cuts it this machine will achieve bargain status in my book.

could someone elaborate as to what the difference in sound is between a 350 and a 351 and which one anamod modeled? AnalogRules / BASE - the differences between the Ampex 350 and 351 model TUBE tape recorders maybe i'll ask in that 'things you should know' thread.

i wish someone here had a real A800 to compare to their anamod. from memory it did remind me of the ones we had... that and the 350 simm are the winners for me so far.
The card simm is called the 350/351.I bet Greg can give us the skinny as to the machine/machines modelled.
Enjoy Raal ..your box is missed.I've had it strapped across the new API mix buss for three weeks..miss it
must ..sell ...something
also.. the 30 ips[w/350] setting sounded the most ballsy for some reason

Old 26th April 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
The 351 card made it worthwhile @ $3k....to me.

w/o the 351 card it would have still been worthwhile @ $3k, but hard for me to justify as I'm not a millionaire

Fortunately (or unfortunately) the 351 card was the deciding factor in me keeping it.

Now I gotta try out that Scotch 111 tape card.....anyone try it yet?? The trial period extends to the optional cards too!
Agreed.
Yeah the 350 card kinda sold it for me.
so the scotch card is out?
any word on the 102?

Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
The card simm is called the 350/351.I bet Greg can give us the skinny as to the machine/machines modelled.
maybe i'll call him... thanks for giving the thing a going through badge.
Old 26th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
also.. the 30 ips[w/350] setting sounded the most ballsy for some reason
And the operating cost @ 30ips is the same as 15ips!

Try doing that with tape heh
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I totally agree with this.

Also the ana-mod is an emulation and by definition it is not real no matter how much people may want to believe it is.

Marketing at its finest.

We use tape to get the sound of tape. Sounds logical to me?
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

If only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacock View Post
I totally agree with this. (The Anamod should cost $1599.99)

Also the ana-mod is an emulation and by definition it is not real no matter how much people may want to believe it is.

Marketing at its finest.

We use tape to get the sound of tape. Sounds logical to me?
I also wish the Wunder CM7 cost $300. But it doesn't. And it sounds great.

The Anamod, Wunder. Modeling or new designs... giving quality results. People are buying it and liking it (me and others).

So, wish all you want, but it is what it is and it's doing what it's supposed to be doing.

-a
Old 27th April 2008
Lives for gear

"Also the ana-mod is an emulation and by definition it is not real no matter how much people may want to believe it is.

You are right, I should just trash this thing.. I will go right out and buy a tape machine and I will give you a call when I need the thing biased and calibrated.

Can I have your home, work and cell number?

Expect a call very early in the morning when the machine breaks..

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search