The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 24th January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
Can you please describe the difference between your Studer and the Anamod emu ?
To compare,One sounds like a 24 track the other a nice clean two track.both "sounds" are in the Studer camp.with tweaking you can get em real close
Quote:
Is it like the difference between two Studers ?
Yes..see above.
Quote:
does it sound like an effect like the other tape emulators ?
No.
Quote:
except for the depth and the color, how is it comparing to real tape in term os tape compression ?
Thanks
Thats been kinda interesting.I think the anamod does the Studer thing real well.
I've been using that simm to track through as well and I really like it.
On the other hand my M79 gets thicker/more balls when you hit it harder.the ATS gets the harmonics and a compression like effect but not the "thickness" & transformer "cajones" of my machine.
so for me it's 1 outta 2 so far.
i'm not selling my M79.
I still need to hear the ATR card compared to the real 102 here.

Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Brad... Interesting.. So one could say that mileage may vary depending on the quality of your converters.
Old 24th January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
I think I might start mixing to the 1/4" machine and then transferring at 88.2k.
Or just stay 1/4" ?
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Definitely. But that's always the case with converters. I just had never tried the higher sampling rates before. I didn't expect them to sound different, but they did. Speaking of transient detail at higher sampling rates...I heard that Kord DSD recorder at NAMM. Very nice.

Brad
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Or just stay 1/4" ?
Well I imagine there will be times when clients don't intend to get the project mastered or won't want to pay for the tape. So....

Brad
Old 25th January 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Speaking of transient detail at higher sampling rates...I heard that Kord DSD recorder at NAMM. Very nice.

Brad
I have one here. Just kills for depth. I had mine modded on the analog side for another $175 with better ICs/caps etc. but even stock it's amazing.
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Cool! Not to get off topic here, but I can see how if you tracking to tape and really want to have the most pristine mix possible, then that DSD recorder is really the way to go. Did you end up putting OPA627's in there Brian? Is it all tiny surface mount stuff?

Brad
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

I've been silent on this but I'm going to speak my mind here a little bit. I think that there is a basic flaw in the reasoning behind a tape simulator. Although I think that the inherent curve of tape and distortion characteristics can be laid over a digital track this doesn't sound the same ultimately as the real thing. This process whether outboard or internally via plug-in still can't give you the depth that tape is capturing from the very start. Basically you're getting the noise, curve and distortion of tape without the depth.

Comparing this to the world of photography will help me explain it a little better. This is a lot like the techniques that have come out in Photoshop that are supposed to mimic the film look for digital cameras. These plug-ins try to dull down the highlights and add a grain look but do nothing to actually do what only film can do...
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
I've been silent on this but I'm going to speak my mind here a little bit. I think that there is a basic flaw in the reasoning behind a tape simulator. Although I think that the inherent curve of tape and distortion characteristics can be laid over a digital track this doesn't sound the same ultimately as the real thing. This process whether outboard or internally via plug-in still can't give you the depth that tape is capturing from the very start. Basically you're getting the noise, curve and distortion of tape without the depth.

Comparing this to the world of photography will help me explain it a little better. This is a lot like the techniques that have come out in Photoshop that are supposed to mimic the film look for digital cameras. These plug-ins try to dull down the highlights and add a grain look but do nothing to actually do what only film can do...
I think you are spot on.
Old 25th January 2008
Quote:
Although I think that the inherent curve of tape and distortion characteristics can be laid over a digital track this doesn't sound the same ultimately as the real thing. This process whether outboard or internally via plug-in still can't give you the depth that tape is capturing from the very start. Basically you're getting the noise, curve and distortion of tape without the depth
That's what I heard when I had an anamod here as well.
Old 25th January 2008
Quote:
Of course the lack of depth is a problem, the harmonics and distortion created by PCM that are there for good, but they've come up with more parameters than anyone else doing a tape effect, and it's a valuable piece of technology. I mean if you're recording digitally then you're recording digitally.

Brad I had someone do the mods, and depth from a lack of smear is where even cheap DSD like the Korg is so nice over PCM. This Anamod and DSD multitrack or two would be amazing .... but let's stay on topic!
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

I'm such a slut that I've probably spent about an hour today doing research on 1 bit recording and the Korg MR-1000 unit. I'm thinking of picking one up for field recording. It's funny how one thing will lead to a couple of hours of reading and research...
Old 25th January 2008
Quote:
I'm such a slut that I've probably spent about an hour today doing research on 1 bit recording and the Korg MR-1000 unit. I'm thinking of picking one up for field recording. It's funny how one thing will lead to a couple of hours of reading and research...
Sounds great, go for it. Chris Johnson at Busman Audio in Vancouver, WA does a nice analog stage mod to take it that last 5% toward perfection. Caps and ICs. It would be great with an Anamod, just dont get over -3 if you're converting to PCM later.
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Degrees of "goodness"

But here's something to consider before this takes on that mob mentality of "kill the Anamod..."

First, if we were to do a blind test, I bet the results would be far more split in reality.

Third (hey non-linear) even if the Anamod gets us 83.8% there (and I think it does, if not better), given the real world factors of owning a tape machine and having it in TRUE working condition (sounding the way it should) and NOT having your ME giving you that evil eye... the Anamod is a damn good way to go.

Lastly, an Anamod doesn't weight 150 pounds, take up a ton of space, require tape that you may or may nt be able to take and again... while the idea of tape is great, the reality is, it isn't always done correctly and can sound equally bad...

Ever have your tape out of alignment, your bass disappears, sounds like hell... and our ME gives you "that" look... again

Just thoughts to consider.

The Anamod is pretty damn amazing! (I say this owning both the Anamod and a good Studer A80)

-a
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

I don't feel a need to defend the anamod.... I'll just say, I use less compression now when recording digital and I have used it every single day since I got it, so... it has paid for itself already.
Old 25th January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
I don't feel a need to defend the anamod.... I'll just say, I use less compression now when recording digital and I have used it every single day since I got it, so... it has paid for itself already.
I must agree I've had the same results. Once it's dialed in it's very easy on the ears. I say if you can afford it, try it out and if you don't like it send it back. It's too hard to describe with words whether it sounds like this or that. I'm having a record mastered next week and I'm not telling the ME that it was mixed through the Anamod to see whether or not he notices any differences from it and other work of mine...
Old 25th January 2008
Gear Maniac

$

Can I ask why it's so expensive? Is because of the components or because of it's uniqueness?

The ATS-1’s list price is $2,995.00

Cheers!
Macmod
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Great question and an even greater issue around here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmod View Post
Can I ask why it's so expensive? Is because of the components or because of it's uniqueness?

Cheers!
Macmod
"Price" and "Value" are such a funny thing around here.stike

How "good" something is seems so closely tied to how much something costs... I often wonder if they priced the Toft at 4-5 times the price, but it is the same board, it would take half the grief. We'd get all sorts of elite, this board it s THE board comments.

The thing about "price" is that it doesn't always have ANYTHING to do with value:

How much one thing costs may dpend on the cost to build, the parts, the labor, where it is buit, R&D, etc.

So, one piece of gear may actually be worth MORE in it's parts and so on and actually be cheaper than the next... the "Value" is entirely dependent on how good it is for you (or so it SHOULD be).

How much is the Anamod? Love to know, doubt we will. I'm betting a lot if $ needed to recoup some ground breaking R&D expenses that we'll see amaortized over the course of other products like their Fairchild 660, etc.

-andrews
Old 25th January 2008
There's a mastering guy with $20,000 in rims on his $100,000 car who thought the $10,000 Elysia Alpha was "expensive" ? Something I'll use everyday for decades ... seems like a deal.

I think computer software is expensive, but I don't use it very much.

Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
There's a mastering guy with $20,000 in rims on his $100,000 car who thought the $10,000 Elysia Alpha was "expensive" ? Something I'll use everyday for decades ... seems like a deal.

I think computer software is expensive, but I don't use it very much.

Exactly.

-andews
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmod View Post

Cheers!
Macmod
Like Brian implied... depends on where you place value.

Something that works on everything I do, makes everything sound better, is easy to dial in and gives me the ability to record to a DAW and use less compression, maintain the openness of an uncompressed recording, but still tame it out and control it... something I have been looking for since I started recording to DAW's in 1997. to me, in a way that is priceless.
Old 26th January 2008
Lives for gear

Holy sh*te now I am really pissed. Just got an email from my Anamod supplier, saying the good news is the Anamod will ship in about 3 weeks here in Europe.....the bad news is that it will cost more than expected - actually it will cost about 2.700.- euro excluding tax, that equals 4.000.- US dollars!!! So, thank you anamod for not just letting us Euroslutz wait months before we can buy one, thank you for making it another thousand dollars more expensive for us! Just what we needed!!!!
Old 26th January 2008
Lives for gear

Someone's got to help jump start the U.S. economy.

Brad
Old 26th January 2008
Lives for gear

ok, I still want to buy one but I really want to hear just a little example of what it does before I put down the money. Is there any Anaomd user out there who is willing to run a 2 minute file through the Anamod for me, I am willing to pay 100.- dollars via paypal for the service. Anyone?

Thanks a bunch!
Pat
Old 26th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCowboys View Post
Holy sh*te now I am really pissed. Just got an email from my Anamod supplier, saying the good news is the Anamod will ship in about 3 weeks here in Europe.....the bad news is that it will cost more than expected - actually it will cost about 2.700.- euro excluding tax, that equals 4.000.- US dollars!!! So, thank you anamod for not just letting us Euroslutz wait months before we can buy one, thank you for making it another thousand dollars more expensive for us! Just what we needed!!!!
why don't you buy here?

http://www.goldenagemusic.se/pdf/PROprice.pdf

or directly in the us

should both be cheaper...

don't know if your dealer gives you a demo period but i doubt?
Old 26th January 2008
Lives for gear

I DID order at goldanage, but the pricelist is not up to date. They told me yesterday the price has gone up to slightly less than 2.700.- eur

buying in the US does not give me a money back guarantee and if I have warranty troubles I am screwed....so I would rather buy from a European dealer....but preferably at a dollar related price...
Old 26th January 2008
Gear Maniac
Quote:
ok, I still want to buy one but I really want to hear just a little example of what it does before I put down the money. Is there any Anaomd user out there who is willing to run a 2 minute file through the Anamod for me, I am willing to pay 100.- dollars via paypal for the service. Anyone?

Thanks a bunch!
Pat
I can do that for you, if you like. trouble is, what kind of settings do you want? there are only about a billion choices. . . or do you want me to just find a good setting or two that I like? PM me. . .
Old 26th January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
I DID order at goldanage, but the pricelist is not up to date. They told me yesterday the price has gone up to slightly less than 2.700.- eur

buying in the US does not give me a money back guarantee and if I have warranty troubles I am screwed....so I would rather buy from a European dealer....but preferably at a dollar related price...
hm, that's not a good price considering their advertisments with us street prices and just import taxes and shipping on top of it. that's clearly more tutt

i bought lots of stuff in the us in the last years but have been quite lucky with defects so far. i simply refuse to buy in europe when the price difference is too big.
Old 26th January 2008
Gear Addict

D'Kowmashev,
didn't know you had an Anamod. got an opinion on it yet?
Old 26th January 2008
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle barton View Post
D'Kowmashev,
didn't know you had an Anamod. got an opinion on it yet?
Yeah, I do. . . I echo 84k and record everything through it, makes everything better, don't know how I got by without it. actually, I am finally getting the sounds I have always wanted and could not be happier. I don't own a tape machine and have not used them very much, but I don't care to compare. this just makes me smile everytime, and I love how creative you can get with all of its controls. one of the most fun boxes I have ever bought, to be completely honest. I had a blast finishing mixing a cd of abstract space music when I first got it, but what is really killing me is writing and recording a whole song through it. . . gotta go use it now. . .

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search