The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

For the record, I put my credit card where my curiosity was and ordered one. If I don't think it's worth it, it cost me the shipping to find out. In that case, it'll go back and I'll get the Burl B2 bomber to see if it's worth it. I'll say in advance...I won't be posting any clips for a long time, but I will be happy to share my thoughts on it, from my home hobbyist's perspective. Even if this thing only does what my cheap Tascam TSR8 did to distorted guitar, it'll be worth it to me.
My main interest is how this thing sounds on higher gain guitar tracks so that's what I'll be reporting on.

One note for the clip requestors: It DOES seem to me that people here are all but demanding clips from owners of new gear. They ask for clips like it's nothing at all. It's a hassle and is usually followed by people bitching about how unscientific the clips or comparison is. How 'bout next time you ask for someone to post a clip, you offer to go mow his lawn first. You're at least doing something to earn the favor you're asking for.
One last thought: On a piece of gear like this that has so much attention. I bet someone could organize GS members to toss in a few bucks each and have enough money to pay one of the Anamod owners to do a nice a/b comparison for ya and post some clips. You don't want to spend the money yourself, but certainly you could throw in $20 to go towards hiring someone to do your work for you. If you're not willing to do that, then at least shut the cake hole and just be thankful when someone does post some clips for free.

party on Wayne!!

Last edited by guittarzzan; 19th December 2007 at 06:13 AM.. Reason: crap typing
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Here's what I want to know...end results aside...will it give me back the EASE of recording good tone to tape?

What I miss most is not some incredible sound I can't get now...but, it's a lot harder. Watch those levels. More EQ/compression. Better source. I remember plugging a $200 Peavey P bass copy into a Mackie mixer input (what's a DI? ) and pressing it into the red---cool tone. Now, I've got to have a premire bass into a nice DI...then work with it a bit at mix time with the La3a...to get what I effectively got plugging some P bass copy into whatever and hitting "record".

Same with electric guitars. Hell, I used a little tube preamp/DI setup for a while at the end of tape. I thought it sounded fine--until I switched to digital and that DI setup no longer worked well.

You could cut the levels of vocals hotter, too...if it hit the red on occasion, even better. I wonder if a solution like Anamod>2192 would be that forgiving?
Old 19th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Howabout this; You purchase the unit, have it shipped to me, I'll post files for you and test it out for myself too, then send it back within the 10 period.

Does that work for you?

If not, then don't expect Gearslutz USA members to demo every piece of gear you're interested in on their free time. It takes a lot of time to do what you ask. Have you posted files of gear comparisons here? And in case you didn't know, the sound of tape (and hopefully the simulator) has an infinite amount of sounds depending on tape speed, tape type, bias, record levels, etc.....how would one cover all those combinations?

Think of Gearslutz as an online magazine. There are trusted members here whose opinion carries weight, like a reviewer in a magazine, and yet they are doing it for free, on their free time.

Next time ask nicely and politely for samples instead of demanding them as though this would be a great site unless certain members didn't post samples on gear.

Geez, I think all these demands for samples must be the result of the plug-in generation. What in earth did engineers do before the internet

And like Lucey mentioned, why don't you contact Anamod about the trial period, you might even find out that there might be a unit in Europe for you to demo. And please try not to assume that the Average gearslutz member is an arrogant American (or even an American citizen)...it's insulting to Americans and Gearslutz members.
Thanks for saying this because it saves me from having to post it (because you said EXACTLY what I was going to write).

I am really happy about the point you made about "Americans"... news flash, we are not ALL idiots. I agree a good selection are but let's not paint such a wide brush please.... that is kind of the thing that the "good selection" of idiots here in the U.S. do right?

And RB, don't let it get ya down. It's all good, there is still plenty of love from the rest of us. As Kenny said, just skip the 5% and move on.

Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
You want clips? Then don't expect them.
kind of applies to life in general doesn't it?
Old 19th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
kind of applies to life in general doesn't it?
These kids today and their demands, Oy Vey!
Old 19th December 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
I think some people might be more inclined to post stuff IF you didn't get the instant barrage from internet trainspotters and bedroom detectives - "Yeah well what was the scientific method" "what colored underpants were you wearing" "it doesn't sound like a Lexicon" "I could buy a real machine cheaper" etc. I've seen it happen to several people, myself included. How about a simple "thanks, I wouldn't have heard it otherwise".

don't forget "you were PAID (way less than minimum wage) to spend 52 hours writing an original song, mixing it down, and giving us all the clips to hear for ourselves!!??"

hehheh hehheh

if there's one thing that never fails to surprise me in life, it's where people choose to put their focus and energies.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 19th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
if there's one thing that never fails to surprise me in life, it's where people choose to put their focus and energies.

The relationship between focus and energy is usually this: focus on expending as little of your energies as possible. Why do all the heavy lifting when someone else was born stronger?

The real problem is that as the amount of information available and consumed per unit of time increases, its perceived meaning and worth decreases. If something is not available before the first finger hits the desk in a tap-tap-tap pattern signifying infinite boredom, somebody's blood must be spilled.

I'm not that old, but old enough to remember the word patience, which no longer has meaning, since meaning is dependent on context, requiring both the concept and its negative space to be observable for the sake of differentiation. Only non-patience seems to exist now. So patience, having nothing to pattern against, no longer exists.

For everyone 'impatient": just be glad there are people who can do things that you can't, and that keep doing them in spite of you.

I've been excited about the Anamod since first hearing about it in January. It failed to magically self-assemble out of dust in my rack after reading the first post in the thread. But I'm not angry about that...(refernce above) I'm just glad there are people doing things that I don't know how to do myself. Sooner or later, they will succeed.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsawlogic View Post
The real problem is that as the amount of information available and consumed per unit of time increases, its perceived meaning and worth decreases. If something is not available before the first finger hits the desk in a tap-tap-tap pattern signifying infinite boredom, somebody's blood must be spilled.
good one. stike
Old 19th December 2007
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
when I'm done with a mix using the Anamod, I don't feel the need to go to my Studer A80... plain as that)

Ok, it seems to me like that old EMU module of the 90's called "Vintage keys", that used to appear in the last page of Keyboard Magazine, where a CP70, a Mellotron, a B3, a Jupiter 8, a Minimoog a Clavinet and a Rhodes took off from the top of the module... and the slogan Vintage Keys, all you need is one module.heh
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

back on topic....

I have some questions for the lucky users:

1: the bass-record and treble-repro controls, are they altering the frequencyrange one-way (meaning they work like a loshelf/hishelf before/after the tape process) or are they automatically compensated for at the "other end"? In other words, do they alter the spectral balance or do they just change the sound of the saturation because the bass-drop before the saturation-stage is compensated by a bass-lift after the saturation stage?

2: the metering, how good is it? One thing I love about my fatso is that I can set it up the way I like it to sound just by looking at the metering...makes life much easier. Is the Anamod´s metering as nice, does it tell you pretty exactly how hard the saturation is?

3: for those who own a fatso and the anamod, by subjective comparison, does the anamod replace the fatso´s saturation (not talking about the compressors and warmth feature of the fatso, just it´s saturation)? Will I still want the fatso´s tone (which I like a lot) when having the anamod or can the anamod do the same and more or better? Asking cause I have a buyer for the fatso now but not gotten my anamod yet......cannot afford to keep both.....

Thanks a bunch!
Rock on!
Pat
Old 19th December 2007
I'm dyeing to listen this toy, if this thing sounds as advretised, I'm planing to get 4, but if not, I'm seriously considering to get an ATR102 with new flux heads. I also have a beautiful MCI JH24 waiting for someone with a new aligment tape, to make her comeback.

Best regards.

delcosmos.

Roundbadge, please comeback, we need you, you are the light at the end of the tunnel!!
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

WHAT the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post

Ok, it seems to me like that old EMU module of the 90's called "Vintage keys", that used to appear in the last page of Keyboard Magazine, where a CP70, a Mellotron, a B3, a Jupiter 8, a Minimoog a Clavinet and a Rhodes took off from the top of the module... and the slogan Vintage Keys, all you need is one module.heh
Dude, what are you talking about? (You quote me... see his orignally post... from my REAL world experience with the actual gear and then just post pasted pictures of the real stuff to argue my plan-as-day findings and opinion from first-hand experience... sorry, I just don't get it)

Why are you here (seriously)? Did you read ANY of the posts above and/or reactions to you? Why do I waste my valueable time posting to give you information?

I OWN an Anamod, I've done the work with my own ears AND I own the real things... AND have made my own conclusions.

So again, I ask... what the hell is YOUR point?

If you want to just argue... go somehwere else.

Have YOU even heard the Anamod or are you just posting crap to bother those of us who actually work and USE this gear?

-andrewsfuuck

P.S. I'm sure you're just kid "wanking" photos off the interenet all day, which seems to be the case, but until you ACTUALLY work on any of these, please go away.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Idiots...

I jus realized more often than not, my posts these days are in repsonse to argumentative idiots. I think I'm a bit long for this place.

I used to really work hard to post hands-on experience and then gain great knowledge from other users here. "Give & take."

Now half my posts are just being pissed about guys like this "outofphase" dude, which seems fitting.

Again, thanks to the regulars who have given my a alot and I want YOU to know, I've worked hard o try and give back to you in whatevever humble ways possible.

(I either need to go away or just stop reacting to the G.S. B.S.... find myself saying that exact thing too much these days)

-andrews
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

"You could cut the levels of vocals hotter, too...if it hit the red on occasion"

Yes you can... I tracked some vocals thru it the other day and some of his louder passsages were forcing the anamod to work harder. It was not harsh at all.
Sounded pleasant to my ears.

Regarding the Fatso.. I own both. They are unique in their own way. So as of right now, I am keeping both.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Regarding the Fatso.. I own both. They are unique in their own way. So as of right now, I am keeping both.
cause you´re a slut heh!!!
I wish I could afford that as well...but I cannot. It just makes me sick to sell the fatso before I have the opportunity to check out the anamod myself....the fatso is really really good anyways...

Rock on!
Pat
Old 19th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why are you here (seriously)?
Just ignore this kind of posts. Discussion forums should be civilised places. There's nothing more vulgar than this "I know, you idiots don't know".
Old 19th December 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
I jus realized more often than not, my posts these days are in repsonse to argumentative idiots. I think I'm a bit long for this place.

I used to really work hard to post hands-on experience and then gain great knowledge from other users here. "Give & take."

Now half my posts are just being pissed about guys like this "outofphase" dude, which seems fitting.

Again, thanks to the regulars who have given my a alot and I want YOU to know, I've worked hard o try and give back to you in whatevever humble ways possible.

(I either need to go away or just stop reacting to the G.S. B.S.... find myself saying that exact thing too much these days)

-andrews
Word.
I don't have a lotta free time to argue either.I'm over it .
the day we get a "Troll free High end", I'll be into it again.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

There's always going to be a certain element of those who just like to argue....to the point of making idiotic points to bait some of us in.

We should all make a concerted effort to just ignore baiting posts. We are starting look like fish being shot in a bowl. We are paying attention to these baiters or wannabees. Ignoring them, as we can, will bring GS closer to how it was. As it is, GS is turning into what the real world is like , yet unlike the real world, we don't have to participate with the instigators.

For now I'm gonna try the practice of just posting 'Ignore' instead of ranting off on someone (I wish we had a good 'Ignore' emocon). This would also serve as a warning and pause to those who might 'bite'. Please feel free to do the same.

Then hopefully I (and we) can get to the next step of totally ignoring the trolls.

It's the first step.
Old 19th December 2007
outofphase
Quote:
Why are you here (seriously)? Did you read ANY of the posts above and/or reactions to you? Why do I waste my valueable time posting to give you information?
No, WHO ARE YOU?

Quote:
I OWN an Anamod, I've done the work with my own ears AND I own the real things... AND have made my own conclusions.
WOW my hero.

Quote:
Have YOU even heard the Anamod -andrewsfuuck
Actually yes, on those mp3 that roundbadge posted, do you really think that they sound the same?

Quote:
P.S. I'm sure you're just kid "wanking" photos off the interenet all day, which seems to be the case, but until you ACTUALLY work on any of these, please go away.
Yes andrew, you are the only one with expensive gear in the world, I forgot you are american.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khai View Post
There's nothing more vulgar than this "I know, you idiots don't know".
And that's exactly what Dirtyhalo does read above.

OOP
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

CHILL OUT!
Old 19th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
WOW WOW Armando!! you took my words about Portico Tape Emu!!

But Anamod sure does much more!
Im very surprised to read both your comments and A's. I have two of the portico units (for four pseudo tape tracks). Now - whilst they arent exactly like tape, subtle is not the word. sure - not smack you in the face distortion or anything but they do change the sound radically - and not always in a good way unfortunately. Top end is nice, deep bass gets lost and there is an over the top hump at around 300hz. I still use my units for things like vocals and acoustic guitars - but they are pretty poop on drums (okay on overheads though). They remind me on a tape machine you wouldnt want to use....

Looking forward to checking out Anamod - would really appreciate hearing some of those samples but i guess thats all gone now ... ah well..
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Clips are fun to do as a gift. As a demand they're rude and annoying. Demands and expectations stop the good feelings that come with gift giving. You want clips? Then don't expect them.
This is a great post.

Thanks, Brian. I hope some of those on this thread read your post and "get it".

Clips are a great help, but many of those posting come to this site to relax and get a look at what's going on outside of their studio----not to add to their workload.

As for Greg G. at Anamod, he is a great guy and a great engineer. I'm sure if he had the time, he could do some top-notch clips that would undoubtably help sell his product. Realistically, though, he's running a company, designing new products, launching and promoting this product, attending panel discussions, standing in the booth at trade shows and maybe even getting a few hours of sleep at night.

If any of you guys barking at him for not having clips can equal or better his schedule and productivity, then you should understand. If you don't have his schedule and can't equal or better his productivity, TRY to understand and give the guy a break.

Laser
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
As for Greg G. at Anamod, he is a great guy and a great engineer. I'm sure if he had the time, he could do some top-notch clips that would undoubtably help sell his product. Realistically, though, he's running a company, designing new products, launching and promoting this product, attending panel discussions, standing in the booth at trade shows and maybe even getting a few hours of sleep at night.
and bottom line is they can't keep them in stock, so posting files is probably not high on the priority list. when i called to order one he said 2-3 weeks waiting period and they haven't even started sending to europe yet.

in his words 'the market will decide whether there is a need for this product or not'.

seems to me the market is already deciding. i'm looking forward to hearing it again in context.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's always going to be a certain element of those who just like to argue....to the point of making idiotic points to bait some of us in.

We should all make a concerted effort to just ignore baiting posts. We are starting look like fish being shot in a bowl. We are paying attention to these baiters or wannabees. Ignoring them, as we can, will bring GS closer to how it was. As it is, GS is turning into what the real world is like , yet unlike the real world, we don't have to participate with the instigators.

For now I'm gonna try the practice of just posting 'Ignore' instead of ranting off on someone (I wish we had a good 'Ignore' emocon). This would also serve as a warning and pause to those who might 'bite'. Please feel free to do the same.

Then hopefully I (and we) can get to the next step of totally ignoring the trolls.

It's the first step.
This is a good idea...although posting "ignore" is probably just baiting the offensive poster for another inflammatory response. So really the only true way to ignore someone is just not respond.

Brad
Old 20th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
Im very surprised to read both your comments and A's. I have two of the portico units (for four pseudo tape tracks). Now - whilst they arent exactly like tape, subtle is not the word. sure - not smack you in the face distortion or anything but they do change the sound radically - and not always in a good way unfortunately. Top end is nice, deep bass gets lost and there is an over the top hump at around 300hz. I still use my units for things like vocals and acoustic guitars - but they are pretty poop on drums (okay on overheads though). They remind me on a tape machine you wouldnt want to use....

Looking forward to checking out Anamod - would really appreciate hearing some of those samples but i guess thats all gone now ... ah well..
You are right, I said what I said because I bought the Portico thinking that it could replicate the sound of a tape machine, but don't get me wrong, I think it's a great warming machine. Remember that what I really want to say some times get lost in translation because my english is really rough (Poor!).

I think that for people like me who "English" is not their main language, applies what Dirtyhalo posted before, just a bit modified: The "tone" of most "posts" really is lost in digital translation, so please be patient with my "tone"!!

Best regards.

delcosmos.
Old 20th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
This is a good idea...although posting "ignore" is probably just baiting the offensive poster for another inflammatory response. So really the only true way to ignore someone is just not respond.

Brad
True, yet posting 'ignore' 'don't take the bait', etc. is more of a warning/reminder to those of us who sometimes post from the hip when we see some inane comment.

Posting 'ignore' is a reminder to keep our heads cool, even if the baiter continues to post a few more times, eventually the not welcome message will get through.

It's a note to the rest of us!
Old 20th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
True, yet posting 'ignore' 'don't take the bait', etc. is more of a warning/reminder to those of us who sometimes post from the hip when we see some inane comment.

Posting 'ignore' is a reminder to keep our heads cool, even if the baiter continues to post a few more times, eventually the not welcome message will get through.

Agreed

-andrews
Old 20th December 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

thumbsup
Old 20th December 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

Old 20th December 2007
Lives for gear

someone plug their fu<king ANAMOD in and warm this thread up!

Mine is busy on kick drum and a mono room stike heh stike

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search