The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 16th December 2007
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

Forgot to say thanks to Roundbadge for posting the samples. thumbsup
Interesting to hear it on a mix after having cut through it.

Through my laptop speakers file 1 sounded punchier. More glued together if you will...Tape/tape compression. File 2 a bit more detail and retained the top end that tends too melt off a bit when hitting tape harder.
File 2 has similar top end I heard when cutting through the Anamod.
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Yeah the M79[file 1] broke up much quicker,hence more saturation.
File 2 sounds nice more polite,.both levels on the input meters were pretty close.

So it wasn't just a matter of driving the Anamod a bit more to match the M79 file more tonally?
Old 16th December 2007
First of all, thanks Roundbadge for your time.
I found some diferences but hey, as Raal said, even on a same machine there are tracks with a different sound from eachother.

And regards 84k comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
The Anamod just sounds like what it claims to be, whereas the others have their own sound, but I would not describe it as the sound of tape. The Anamod is very expensive, but I have not found a source that it doesn't warm up and make richer.
Wow, I want to get this toy because I thought that it will Sound like tape!!!

Since my English is so poor, may be I'm not understanding here, Anamod warms the sound, everything sounds better through it but you would not describe it as the sound of tape?
I hope Anamod doesn't come with a subtile warm FX like the Portico tape emulator, where you can barely hear what it suppose to do.

Best regards, and again, thanks 84k and Roundbadge for your time and comments on this.

delcosmos.
Old 16th December 2007
Number 1 sounds bigger, with more depth, more pleasant distortion, deep bass, etc.

Looking forward to their other models to test.
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Wow, I want to get this toy because I thought that it will Sound like tape!!!

Since my English is so poor, may be I'm not understanding here, Anamod warms the sound, everything sounds better through it but you would not describe it as the sound of tape?
hey bro. i understood that out of all the emulations he's heard anamod is the only one that does it for him (sounds like a real machine). please correct me if i'm wrong 84K.
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the clips RB! I thought 1 sounded like it should(tape) but I didn't really hear the tapey quality on 2. I'll have to listen in my control room thumbsup
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

IMO, they both sounded pretty damn close. Nuber 2 seemed a little more present or airy etc on my 10 year old Boston Acoustic computer speakers. BTW, I'll rent those to any of you for mastering if interested.
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
thanks for the clips RB! I thought 1 sounded like it should(tape) but I didn't really hear the tapey quality on 2. thumbsup
i agree.

at aes I heard no significant difference with anamod in & out, except for hiss button. but that was with headphones in a noisy setting.

folks r going crazy over this unit so i am willing to give it another shot but the clips haven't changed my stance at this point.
Old 16th December 2007
Quote:
I'm still not 100% convinced,yet I'm still looking forward to giving this thing a good workout when I get it back
if they nail the ATR102 100%, I'm sold.
In the end I just want to process my final mix and I have my eyes set on a nice used ATR102 at a good price, but if this thing can do the same thing... I will buy it in a minute.

Best regard.

delcosmos.
Old 16th December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
.... it doesn't add compression artifacts that sound like a compressor....
+1 thumbsup
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have my eyes set on a nice used ATR102 at a good price
SNAP!

me too... i'm fecking hard for one.

VERY HARD.
Old 16th December 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks Roundbadge for this test.

No.1 sounds definitely better to me.
No.2 is cleaner but it's not really what I would expect from the tape.
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Maybe I'm reading or reading into the "tone" of you post wrong, but what the hell is that suppose to mean? tutt

what i mean is that i LOVE the fact that people are moving back towards consoles and tape, as opposed to pursuing the relentless march towards straight-to-dig and itb mixing. 2 years ago i wouldn't have guessed.

from what people have posted here, the toft sounds great, which is another pleasant surprise... less than $5k for a full featured little analog gem. now we have a tape emulator that actually works... sweet!

it's all good, i swear!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Guru

i prefer the extra saturation on mix 1, but the open top on 2. but on both mixes there's nowhere near enough top for me, both mixes sound like they're coming thru a wall of towels.

fun song though, sweet recording. thanks for the comparison!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th December 2007
Quote:
I hope Anamode doesnt come with a subtile warm FX like the Portico tape emulator, where you can barely hear what it suppose to do.
delcosmos.
WOW WOW Armando!! you took my words about Portico Tape Emu!!

But Anamod sure does much more!
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Amen, brother.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
what i mean is that i LOVE the fact that people are moving back towards consoles and tape, as opposed to pursuing the relentless march towards straight-to-dig and itb mixing. 2 years ago i wouldn't have guessed.

from what people have posted here, the toft sounds great, which is another pleasant surprise... less than $5k for a full featured little analog gem. now we have a tape emulator that actually works... sweet!

it's all good, i swear!

gregoire
del
ubk
Phew, thanks. Ok, ya see, I practiced a little restraint and asked... glad to hear your perspective and I agree

-andrews

P.S. The "tone" of most emails really is lost in digital translation
Old 17th December 2007
outofphase
AnaMod

Quote:
I'm still not 100% convinced,yet I'm still looking forward to giving this thing a good workout when I get it back
mmm... I want to hear a song with all the instruments recorded through the AnaMod, there is where it should replace a M79 or a A800, on tracking not mixing

If they release an ATR emulation, then it make sense to use it on the 2buss mix.
I would never use a M79 or a A800 as a mixdown machine!!

Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
mmm... I want to hear a song with all the instruments recorded through the AnaMod, there is where it should replace a M79 or a A800, on tracking not mixing

If they release an ATR emulation, then it make sense to use it on the 2buss mix.
I would never use a M79 or a A800 as a mixdown machine!!

Huh? And who are you?

How about a Studer A80? You might not mix dow to an M79, but plenty of more talented and amazing albums HAVE

Maybe your tone was lost in translation. Maybe I read your "tone" wrong on a post, but that sure sounds pretty arrogant.

-a
Old 17th December 2007
outofphase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Huh? And who are you?

How about a Studer A80? You might not mix dow to an M79, but plenty of more talented and amazing albums HAVE

Maybe your tone was lost in translation. Maybe I read your "tone" wrong on a post, but that sure sounds pretty arrogant.

-a
What's wrong with my post?
M79 and A800 are not mixdown machines, or do you mix to a 24 track machine? I guess Bob ludwig doesn't accept 2" master tapes buddy.

I think is even more arrogant to start a response with "And who are you?"fuuck
Old 17th December 2007

I definitely prefered "1" on my laptop and $7 headphones.

I don't know which one was which, but they sounded very different, in compression, tone, and distortion

narco
Old 17th December 2007
Gear Guru

i think it'd be a good idea to clarify for folks who don't have much experience with tape that it isn't reasonable to simply mult a signal and compare the anamod to the deck it's emulating and expect them to sound the same.

to flesh out what rb was getting at in an earlier post: the way a deck is set up, particularly the operating levels and the choice of bias, will change it's sound from subtly to radically. and any old tape machine is bound to have a service history and parts changeouts that further give it a unique personality.

lastly, i think the most critical variable in a comparison like this is how hard your hitting that input; as tape saturates, the spectral balance changes noticeably. harmonics build up, highs thicken and attenuate (a little or a lot depending on the bias and tape formula), low end gets fatter and more pronounced, and average levels get hotter... iow, it sounds louder, fuller, more glued.

so much alchemy and chaos goes on inside a tape machine, the fact that a box with analog dsp can even begin to replicate it is a small miracle and i for one don't want to lose sight of that. to really compare these machines in a meaningful way would require a pretty concerted effort to the task at hand, something rb and 84k understandably may not have the time for --- they got work to do, actual real paid work.

so unless and until someone *does* do a brutally intensive a/b making every possible effort to find that place where the anamod behaves like the real deal (assuming it's even possible), i intend to keep my mind open as to it's capabilities.

and thanks again to the guys who are putting up these clips and sharing their thoughts... i know firsthand how much of a pita it is to do even a small, quick 'n dirty comparison, and how little appreciation you often get for the effort.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear
thumbsup
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
iso much alchemy and chaos goes on inside a tape machine, the fact that a box with analog dsp can even begin to replicate it is a small miracle and i for one don't want to lose sight of that.
For the sake of accuracy... "analog DSP" is an oxymoron. "DSP" stands for "digital signal processing". There is no digital processing inside the Anamod as far as I understand. It's an analog processor.

Brad
Old 17th December 2007
I think it bears mentioning that the folks who want to find quality tape machines used at a decent price have an interest in seeing this product succeed as well. Go Anamod!

However, even if it doesn't 80-90% "nail" it, it's probably going to be a useful tool to folks. You just have to decide for yourself (demoing, clips, etc.) if you personally think the sonic benefits are worth the cost.

Had one here, and I'm waiting to hear the other models now. It shows promise. I want things to get bigger when I hear them coming back outta this thing.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
However, even if it doesn't 80-90% "nail" it, it's probably going to be a useful tool to folks. You just have to decide for yourself (demoing, clips, etc.) if you personally think the sonic benefits are worth the cost.
i already have plenty of useful tools. for that amount of money it will have to be able to substitute a real machine. what i heard at AES definitely rang a bell as i've said before, so i'm pretty optimistic.
Old 17th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer View Post
I think it bears mentioning that the folks who want to find quality tape machines used at a decent price have an interest in seeing this product succeed as well. Go Anamod!
Used tape machines aren't at a decent price now?

By the time tape machine prices hit what you might consider decent, tape will no longer be available
Old 17th December 2007
Well yeah they are at a great price right now, but a nice 827 or J37 for even cheaper wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

As far as a complete substitute, I'm waiting.
Old 18th December 2007
Day 4 ... I am getting my best results by mixing into it, instead of applying it after the mix is complete. I don't think that it should work that way with a real analog deck .. (right?). Anyway, It works wonderfully with my console (again). Although I hear a slight fidelity deterioration, I am trying to get my head around the way a song speaks better.. attachment, focus, etc..

I still do not feel like it is an "easy button" and I may need some time to really get an opinion.. It is definitely not ruining my work, and it seems easier to get a song whipped into shape.. Did someone start to comment on the simulated formulations... are they a multitrack format?
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kress View Post
Day 4 ... I am getting my best results by mixing into it, instead of applying it after the mix is complete. I don't think that it should work that way with a real analog deck .. (right?).
It seems strange to me. Unless what your mixing into isn't that transparent (say a Masterlink using the onboard converters), or maybe the levels are a little different, or it's in your head, or you're really sensitive to that extra stage of AD/DA,

Or?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search