The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AnaMod : ATS-1 Tape Simulator
Old 14th December 2007
  #391
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

two years ago i NEVER would have guessed that two of the most talked-about products on GS would be a small chinese manufactured console and a two track analog tape emulator.

things are definitely looking up thumbsup.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 14th December 2007
  #392
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

hahaha heh yeah I'm thinking 3g's for an emulator might be a bit pricey..Plugs are getting so good and are so much cheaper and you get so many more instances I digress..I do want to hear this badboy though

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
two years ago i NEVER would have guessed that two of the most talked-about products on GS would be a small chinese manufactured console and a two track analog tape emulator.

things are definitely looking up thumbsup.

gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 14th December 2007
  #393
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
All Apologies Armando! I have edited my list.
screw you guys! What am I chopped liver
Old 14th December 2007
  #394
Lives for gear
heh
Old 14th December 2007
  #395
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
screw you guys! What am I chopped liver
Come on now. you are in there!
Old 14th December 2007
  #396
Lives for gear
 
superburtm's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Come on now. you are in there!
heh thumbsup
Old 14th December 2007
  #397
Lives for gear
well, i just plunked down the credit card. stike roundbadge has kindly offered to put it next to a real M79 and A800, but it'll be some weeks before it gets there.

also spoke to Greg Gualtieri earlier today and he patiently went through the process of how the different machines are modeled. long story short, he explained all multitracks are a little different from one another, just as different tracks on the same machine can be different from one another; so they have to decide which track or tracks better represent the machine in question. this makes good sense as i know all Pultecs, API and Neve pres at my place sure don't measure or sound exactly the same. they all sound great but they're not exact clones.

just thought i'd pass that along.
Old 14th December 2007
  #398
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
Come on now. you are in there!
Yeah but I wasn't....



You dog!!!!

LOL
Old 15th December 2007
  #399
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
You obviously have not priced tape lately.... So look, tape is great, I love how it sounds. I do not love anything else about it.

I don't like having to fast-forward and rewind. I don't like editing it (2 inch edits suck, anyone who tells you differently is smoking something). I don't like storing tape. I don't like having backups that are not exact duplicates of the original. I don't like making backups in real time. I don't like how the playback changes over time after repeated plays. I don't like the size of even a 2 track machine. I don't like having to clean the deck before I use it. I don't like worrying about the machine breaking in the middle of a session. I don't like having to put the machine in another room because it is too loud. I don't like searching for parts if something breaks. I don't like having to pay someone to fix a machine while my whole studio is down. I don't like having to do routine maintenance (I like recording not working on gear... that's just me). I don't like having to talk clients into paying for tape and I certainly don't like paying for tape out of my own pocket.

The point is, I don't like much about tape other than the sound.
I think that this quote should go down in history so that in 1000 years, everyone understands..
Old 15th December 2007
  #400
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
two years ago i NEVER would have guessed that two of the most talked-about products on GS would be a small chinese manufactured console and a two track analog tape emulator.

things are definitely looking up thumbsup.


gregoire
del
ubk
.


Maybe I'm reading or reading into the "tone" of you post wrong, but what the hell is that suppose to mean? tutt

I'd really like you to clarify before I reply.

-a
Old 15th December 2007
  #401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Maybe I'm reading or reading into the "tone" of you post wrong, but what the hell is that suppose to mean? tutt

I'd really like you to clarify before I reply.

-a
Why don't you guys PM each other so we don't have to hear it.. this is a lost thread about the AnaMod.. : )
Old 15th December 2007
  #402
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kress View Post
Why don't you guys PM each other so we don't have to hear it.. this is a lost thread about the AnaMod.. : )
lost is an understatement.
this thread is an anamolaic paradox in time, space, and common sense.
Old 15th December 2007
  #403
Here we are back on topic.. I have been mixing through mine (Looks like serial # 00012) for a couple of days. I have one mix completed entirely with it. I do like it. I am just using it on the stereo bus only with a C1. In sharing my opinions, I'll be coming from the angle of someone who has never mixed to tape. But I have heard quality mixes both before and after tape, and have tried some of the newer plug-ins (I don't really like them)..

Anyway, I feel like I will be mixing -through- the unit as opposed to applying it at the end, as one may normally do with tape. It didn't really work out for me (yet) when applying it to already completed mixes. However, I think applying it at the end may may work fine for anyone who has spent time with a real tape machine, for people's varying mixing styles, or for anyone who has a good eq on their stereo bus.. You get what I mean.

This first mix chain was:
- Lavry DA-10 - Multitrack out
- C1
- Anamod
- Ad-8000 SE - Mix

Next, I intend to try it with my upgraded trident 65 (made in england thumbsup)
- Mytek 192 adda out x 8 stems - Multitrack out
- Trident 65
- C1
- Anamod
- AD-8000 SE - Mix

I have to break out the soldering iron to make this happen so it may be a few days.. I hope that it will add the ability to vary the character of the one and only sound my trident has (which is damn good)

I have to say that each of the machines and tape formulations seems very usable. They do have a nice character that I intend to use when bringing up the initial tracks for a mix. I'll just pick the one that best matches the audio material, set it, and forget it.. I found that changing the tape machine or tape type at the end of a mix wasn't a good move for me.

Other random toughts:
- I'll bet there will be some engineers that "won't get it". It doesn't seem like an immediate "easy button" to me but seasoned engineers will at least get to hear it for what it is worth..
- I am not playing with the LH, HF or bias controls yet so "no comment".
- The "hiss" is really cool (IMO)...
- Another possible advantage to mixing to tape: you have the sound of the tape all day, as if everything you are hearing is off of tape.
- I don't intend to return this unit at this point but "we shall see". 7 days left on my trial run.

I can't post any mixes of the material I am working on now. I will update with my thoughts and opinions over the next week. I hope this is helpful, as I have been helped by a few considerate others on this forum. and also thank you to those of the nearly 300 posts in this thread that provided good information.
Old 15th December 2007
  #404
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post

It's funny, if we were talking about tape machines like they were the new product I think the reviews would be very similair to the Anamod:

"They have a very subtle compression and harmonic effect that you miss when its NOT there."

-a
So far, the reviews are strangely similar to the Portico 5042...
Old 15th December 2007
  #405
Lives for gear
 
Mind-Over-Midi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post

So look, tape is great, I love how it sounds.

I do not love anything else about it.

I don't like having to fast-forward and rewind. I don't like editing it (2 inch edits suck, anyone who tells you differently is smoking something). I don't like storing tape. I don't like having backups that are not exact duplicates of the original. I don't like making backups in real time. I don't like how the playback changes over time after repeated plays. I don't like the size of even a 2 track machine. I don't like having to clean the deck before I use it. I don't like worrying about the machine breaking in the middle of a session. I don't like having to put the machine in another room because it is too loud. I don't like searching for parts if something breaks. I don't like having to pay someone to fix a machine while my whole studio is down. I don't like having to do routine maintenance (I like recording not working on gear... that's just me). I don't like having to talk clients into paying for tape and I certainly don't like paying for tape out of my own pocket.

Well.. I do have to admit that I like punching in on the fly on a machine that punches well but... I don't like missing takes because I F'ed up a punch.

The point is, I don't like much about tape other than the sound.
One of the best posts ever on GS. IMHO



Old 15th December 2007
  #406
Lives for gear
 
Dirty Halo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kress View Post
Why don't you guys PM each other so we don't have to hear it.. this is a lost thread about the AnaMod.. : )

My posts have been OT. In my post to UBK, I wanted him to clarify his intent on his statment about the Anamod, again, "On Topic."

He can PM if he likes, but his answer is (may be) relevant to this thread.

What does he mean about the Anamod "being talked about in the High-End forums
and/or is he equating that with "Chinese Made"?

I just got an Anamode and from buidl, to function, design to price... not sure what ISN'T High-End about it.

So, wondering what he means.


-a
Old 15th December 2007
  #407
Gear Addict
 
BobbyPeru's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
My posts have been OT. In my post to UBK, I wanted him to clarify his intent on his statment about the Anamod, again, "On Topic."

He can PM if he likes, but his answer is (may be) relevant to this thread.

What does he mean about the Anamod "being talked about in the High-End forums
and/or is he equating that with "Chinese Made"?

I just got an Anamode and from buidl, to function, design to price... not sure what ISN'T High-End about it.

So, wondering what he means.


-a
I think everyone's being a little too sensitive about UBK's post. Maybe its the holidays winding everyone up or maybe it that time of the month for taking your soft-focused-walk-on-the-beach...

Either way here's to getting back ON TOPIC!!! w000t!!!! YAY!!!! OMG!!!! LOL!!!! BRB!!!!

More posts from people who've heard this thing. Less posts from people who haven't. And hopefully none from people who haven't heard it and don't want to!

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
Old 15th December 2007
  #408
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyPeru View Post
I think everyone's being a little too sensitive about UBK's post. Maybe its the holidays winding everyone up or maybe it that time of the month for taking your soft-focused-walk-on-the-beach...

Either way here's to getting back ON TOPIC!!! w000t!!!! YAY!!!! OMG!!!! LOL!!!! BRB!!!!

More posts from people who've heard this thing. Less posts from people who haven't. And hopefully none from people who haven't heard it and don't want to!

Bobby Peru
Milwaukee, WI
i am really interesting in hering from people who have porticos on hand to compare to the anamod. i dont mind paying the premium for the anamod if it is truly the piece i have been looking for. and the add-in cards future really get me very excite.
Old 15th December 2007
  #409
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mind-Over-Midi View Post
One of the best posts ever on GS. IMHO



this is what i need to copy and paste people who babble on about the simple answer of just getting "a used piece of **** tape machine off of ebay"
Old 15th December 2007
  #410
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
thank you roundbadge,
which one is which?
Old 15th December 2007
  #411
Gear Nut
 
wooster's Avatar
 

well...to me, file 1 has a thicker 'M79'ish vibe. I hope its the Anamod!
Old 15th December 2007
  #412
Lives for gear
 
Fleaman's Avatar
 

Through my sh*tty computer speakers the 1st one is thicker and smoother, 2nd one is a little hard on those bell accents.

It sounds like the 1st one is hitting tape harder than the 2nd one.
Old 15th December 2007
  #413
Lives for gear
 
bcgood's Avatar
 

Between these two examples file two sounds much more open, the highs sound more pleasing, (Detailed, crisp yet pleasant) to me.
Old 15th December 2007
  #414
Lives for gear
 
BradM's Avatar
File 1 sounds more "broken" to me whereas as File 2 sounds more hi-fi. So I'm going to guess that File 1 is the real tape machine and File 2 is the Anamod.

Thanks for sharing.

Brad
Old 15th December 2007
  #415
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
i liked 2 better.

one reason is, its louder.
Old 15th December 2007
  #416
Lives for gear
 
Watersound's Avatar
 

listen to the snare on take 1- it's punchier and fatter sounding. Indeed mix 1 sounds fatter to me, more distorted(in a good way) they are both nice but I preferred 1.
Old 15th December 2007
  #417
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

number 1 all the way.
Old 15th December 2007
  #418
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
the more you get used to the Anamod the more you will hear how it works on every source since it truly acts like tape and is NOTHING like the tape emulators
It does not sound like "just another compressor" or "a dithering effect" or a distorted audio cassette like all the others I have tried.
Old 15th December 2007
  #419
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
the more you get used to the Anamod the more you will hear how it works on every source since it truly acts like tape and is NOTHING like the tape emulators
It does not sound like "just another compressor" or "a dithering effect" or a distorted audio cassette like all the others I have tried.
84K, have you tried the Portico? haven't heard that one.
Old 16th December 2007
  #420
Lives for gear
 
84K's Avatar
I don't want to say which I have heard because I do not want to bad mouth anyones products... actually, they are all cool. The Anamod just sounds like what it claims to be, whereas the others have their own sound, but I would not describe it as the sound of tape. The Anamod is very expensive, but I have not found a source that it doesn't warm up and make richer. The key is how it doesn't add compression artifacts that sound like a compressor. All The other tape emulation devices sound like compressors or dithering to my ears.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump