The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Channel strips
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Channel strips

I'd like to have a nice channel strip and can't really think of that many.. what are some great options that I'm missing?

The Neve Portico channel II looks very nice.

I have two Crane Song Spiders that I use for preamps but a lot of times it feels a little bulky to fire up the Spiders and a compressor for a long day of tracking vocals. A nice channelstrip would be slick. Wish Crane Song made one!!

Need pre/comp/killer DI, possibly eq, AD a bonus.

Last edited by gainreduction; 19th October 2015 at 09:54 PM..
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear
Channel strip...

You can in fact create an awesome crane song channel strip via 500 series. Grab a lunch box, syren, falcon and insigna and boom! A wonderful channel strip which is simply sublime on vocals is the Aurora Audio GTQC. A 1073 inspired pre, sweet 3 band eq albeit minimal frequency points, and a opto and fet comp that can be combined for even more tonal control!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
I'd like to have a nice channel strip and can't really think if that many.. what are some great options that I'm missing?

The Neve Portico channel II looks very nice.

I have two Crane Song Spiders that I use for preamps but a lot of times it feels a little bulky to fire up the Spiders and a compressor for a long day of tracking vocals. A nice channelstrip would be slick. Wish Crane Song made one!!

Need pre/comp/killer DI, possibly eq, AD a bonus.
Old 19th October 2015
JAT
Lives for gear
The Portico II is one flexible piece of gear that can work on just about anything. You can do different, but not better.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Portico II Channel is definitely good. I also like SPL Frontliner. It has everything you need for a great vocal sound. The de-esser and tube saturator are two of the features that I love a lot. AD-converter is optional.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Pendulum Quartet II.
Great preamp, great EQ, great compressor, great limiter!!!
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Nut

Try this, I love it.
Tube Tech / MEC 1A Recording Channel
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Good stuff guys... inspiring
Old 20th October 2015
Old 20th October 2015
Old 20th October 2015
Gear Addict
I love my API channel strip. Sounds great and is incredibly versatile (for example all modules can be used independently at the same time). I also have an Avalon 737 that is great and very complimentary to the API
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear
Also check out Home | Hendyamps
Old 20th October 2015
member no 666

A Great River MEQ-1NV will give you a ton of flexibility while also giving you very nice / superior sounding audio.

You have the option of hanging the EQ o the pre-amp's insert point... which now gives you the option of a transformer output [from the ME-1NV] or a transformer less / "high headroom" output [from the EQ-1NV]... additionally, you can hang a compressor in front of the EQ should you so desire [one that you can pick from your existing arsenal... most of the time I used an FMR Audio PBC-6A as they have all kinds of wonderful flexibility to their sound... sound absolutely professional at every level... and won't break the bank in the price department.

Best of luck with all you do.

Peace
Old 20th October 2015
Here for the gear

Try an Aurora Audio GTQC it's been around for 16 years tried and true I have never heard a better pre amp it is all class A and all discreet Mine is 12 years old. The compressor has both opto, fet and combined. I use it on just about everything and it has never let me down Good Luck
Old 20th October 2015
There is so much great stuff out there. One that I own a pair of and doesn't get a lot of talk on here are the Empirical Labs Mike-e channel strip. TONS of gain and a really cool Distressor style comp in it too. I have yet to find a source that they dont sound goods on.
Old 20th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bijou Bob View Post
Try an Aurora Audio GTQC it's been around for 16 years tried and true I have never heard a better pre amp it is all class A and all discreet Mine is 12 years old. The compressor has both opto, fet and combined. I use it on just about everything and it has never let me down Good Luck
I absolutely agree, I have had my AURORA AUDIO GTQC channel strip for a couple years now and it has the best Mic Pre I have ever used. Plus you have the Option of using opto/fet/combine feature. Extremely versitatile and reliable and gear with an unbeatable sound!
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear
^^^^^ummm....yeah...what they said.^^^^^^
Old 20th October 2015
as suggested above, grab a lunchbox and create your own. AML 1073 and 2254 would probably be my first choice. That leaves you with one space in a six slot. Add an Anamod AM660. That combination would cover a lot of ground.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search