The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Allan smart C2
Old 15th January 2007
Allan smart C2

Hi, Im mixing some live drums on my console, using a beautiful SSL comp and noisegates on kick and sd plus pulteq, 1178 on room mics and the I feed all the tracks in to my Allansmart C2, what a great unit, it born to help drums tracks.

I prefer my C2 compressing my drum buss more tan a 2 track mix.

On Drum buss C2 is a king!!

Best regards.

A.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

not only is the C2 a great unit but it's father is a nice guy too He talked me through some minor problems after shipping - and I'm a total tech noob - I can't differentiate a screw from a nail ...

Jo
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear
I want one !! I want one !! I've been eyeing this one for so long... The time has come, a C2 I shall get.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

DELCOSMOS ... I envy you .. mixing like that ... would love to hear that drums !!!

chandlersonic : There was one on ebay.de ... just a week ago ... only around € 1800,- nice bargain .....

I got mine for a good price though ....

regards wim

www.inlinemastering.com
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

gday delcosmos

are you using the C2 on the drum buss as an insert or as a parallel send (mixed underneath) or, both for that matter? how much gain reduction are you generally hitting?

do you use use the side chain of the c2 on the drum buss. if so, is it a hi passed version of the drum buss signal?

do you ever use the crush mode for drum buss work?

do you use an eq on your c2 drum buss? if so, before or after compression? if eqing after, what do you compensate for, bass?

i've only had mine for a few weeks and really love it. al smart is such a nice guy too!

Old 15th January 2007
Led
Lives for gear

It is also great in parallel on a whole mix. Al's distributor was based at our studio for a long time until recently. Al used to come here a bit. He loves a chat about gear.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inlinenl View Post
chandlersonic : There was one on ebay.de ... just a week ago ... only around € 1800,- nice bargain .....

www.inlinemastering.com
yeah but wasn´t it a stereo only version (one set of knobs)? not the same thing as dual mono when used on the mix bus. it´s been discussed a lot, the difference is not obvious, it´s huge.

but yeah, the C2 is a great great unit. quite possibly one of the nicest comps i got. mine lives on the mix bus 70% of the time. for drum parallels i tend to use a TG-1 or as i´ve discovered lately a 1176. nice

damn, i´ve seriously been thinking about a C1 to mate the C2
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

I´m in that dilemma to make a decision between an Alan Smart C2 and API 2500:(
Want it for stems and 2 buss
Thought I could save about 500.- EUR and get the API, but now I´ll have two sleepless weeks again..what the F%&K
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yuppers. The C2 is my favorite drum bus compressor lately. I love the way you can get everything to get compressed/limited and kinda squishy... but the kick and snare still have all the punch...the kick gets this round kind of thing (thats ALL tone) that just blends perfectly with uncompressed kick. Just love it!
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by beesting View Post
gday delcosmos

are you using the C2 on the drum buss as an insert or as a parallel send (mixed underneath) or, both for that matter? how much gain reduction are you generally hitting?

do you use use the side chain of the c2 on the drum buss. if so, is it a hi passed version of the drum buss signal?

do you ever use the crush mode for drum buss work?

do you use an eq on your c2 drum buss? if so, before or after compression? if eqing after, what do you compensate for, bass?

i've only had mine for a few weeks and really love it. al smart is such a nice guy too!

I'm using it on the drum buss as an insert, it adds something I like to the entier kit, also I love to put the room mics through my 1178, the allan smart recieve all my processed tracks, I mean after I work on kick, sd, toms, oh and room I feed my C2 with all those signals, this is the flavor of this week, some times I love paralel compression ar maybe any compression at all.
Best regards.
Armando Avila.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I love my C2 . . . I can't imagine life without one.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I *love* mine on drum bus and mix bus also... decisions decisions...

If only Chandler would hurry up and start shipping that Zener Limiter, then perhaps I can keep the C2 on the mix bus and not have to worry about what I'm losing out on the drum bus. Or maybe it will be the other way around...

Anyway, the C2 seriously rocks for both.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

C2 on drums = must have
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Mine is the permanent parallel comp for the drum buss... sometimes crush, sometimes no crush. thumbsup

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search