The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking for New Vocal Chain 500 Series Preamps
Old 12th October 2015
Here for the gear

Looking for New Vocal Chain

Hi guys. I'm kinda searching for a new vocal chain, kinda out of boredom, but also for mobility purposes. Currently I use an SM7b > Great River MP-500NV > Distressor > Pro Tools.
My favorite vocal chain I've ever used (though unfortunately out of budget) is an ADK 251 > Neve 1073LB > Neve 1073LBEQ > Tube-Tech CL1B > Pro Tools.

I've considered replacing my Great River with a Vintech 573. Would that be a mistake or a good move?

Do you guys recommend any 500 series compressors that would be great for vocals, and resemble either of these compressors/distressor? I know nothing competes with the versatility of the EL8, and the CL1B doesn't exist in 500 series land. That said, I'm just not super knowledgeable on 500 series compressors.

Thanks.
Old 13th October 2015
If you like the 251, why not look for a different mic? Your chain is quality - you'd be making movements of millimetres by switching preamps. But a 251 and SM7b are light years apart (I have both the ADK and an sm7b). First place to look is the mic!
Old 13th October 2015
Here for the gear

I would agree with you 100% about the mic. That falls into the budget restraints problem. I guess when it boils down to it, I'd really just like to replace the Distressor with a 500 series compressor. Makes mobility considerably easier.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear
Keep the pre...save up for the adk or see Shannon Rhoades at www.micrehab.com for a beautiful 251 voiced mic mod and grab a Jlm la500...done!!! That would be one sick vocal chain.

Last edited by Twenty Staxx; 13th October 2015 at 07:48 AM..
Old 13th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo1112 View Post
I would agree with you 100% about the mic. That falls into the budget restraints problem. I guess when it boils down to it, I'd really just like to replace the Distressor with a 500 series compressor. Makes mobility considerably easier.
I've tracked vocals through the Rupert Neve Designs 543 quite a bit and it always sounded nice. Not as fast as a Distressor, but still a great 500-series comp for vocals.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Not in the same vein as a Distressor, but the Anamod AM660 can be a great tool on vocals.
Old 13th October 2015
Here for the gear

Awesome. Thanks for the recomendations, y'all!
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear
The brute has been compared to the cl1b and I believe there is one currently in the classifieds and on ebay.
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Maniac

The p-1 is great . It really sounds like the pacifica but cheaper .
Old 14th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo1112 View Post
that's nice, but it's not going to fix the problem is it?
Old 14th October 2015
I'm with psycho_monkey here, change the mic. If you have a low-end converter that would be your next upgrade after the mic. The pre and compressor are not going to dramatically change your sound quality.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search