The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
manley Ref Card or Cathedral Pipes RD for pop vocals Condenser Microphones
Old 15th October 2015
Old 15th October 2015
Here for the gear

Jjblair by no means do I question your history, knowledge on microphones or your ears.

The only axe I have to grind here is calling someone something they are not. I value your opinion and respect your insight. I was only asking if you know of Chucks work outside the mic world because you may have another perspective.

As far as capsule building your points are all valid. Again Im asking this because after getting told by many mic builders this and that I started tinkering with skinning capsules and it gave me further insight. You area wealth of knowledge and I apprecite your passion. Please feel free to call me anytime (818)731-1000
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
My session today rescheduled, so apparently I have nothing better to do than to get sucked into this old chestnut.

Hey, Grammy winners have used SM57s, too. Does that make them the best dynamic mic, or as goos as the old SM56?

Is everything I've used somehow validated because I've won Grammys? I never understand that argument.

Al Schmitt was given a pair of M149s by Neumann, so is it any surprise that he uses them?

I hate to get off topic, because this has been discussed ad nauseum, but dig up a schematic of the M149, and see that it's basically a solid state, transformerlesss mic, which uses a tube as an impedance converter. It's a lower quality, sub mini tube, that isn't anywhere in the class of an AC-701, or even a 6072. IMO, the tube is essentially in there for marketing purposes, hence why I call it a BS circuit.

Does the mic suck? No. Is it unusable? No. Is it anywhere close to a M49? No. Is it a good value for the money? No.

Here's the inside of your M149. Nice IC!

http://www.saturn-sound.com/images%2...0ic%20used.jpg
Umm...57's are the best. :0)

But JJ...

Your completely missing the point. My point was do "we" use our ears to judge a mic? Or our eyes based on schematics and such? I've used the M149 and the Ref C. I like them both but think the 149 is a better more versatile mic.

Haven't used any CP mics yet but have heard enough mixes to know its a great vocal mic. I've even been considering adding one to the mic locker for some time.

No disrespect intended but I don't really care about the IC's because when I'm making records I never once gave any thought to a schematic, a capsule or an IC. Either the mic suits the source or it doesn't. Again, maybe your missing the forest for the trees?

P.S. If your just harping on the fact that the 149 is overpriced then I'd agree.
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Yeah. That's what a genuine tube circuit looks like (on the non-tube side of the motherboard). High quality components, such as that transformer coupling cap.
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykmusic View Post
Jjblair by no means do I question your history, knowledge on microphones or your ears.

The only axe I have to grind here is calling someone something they are not. I value your opinion and respect your insight. I was only asking if you know of Chucks work outside the mic world because you may have another perspective.

As far as capsule building your points are all valid. Again Im asking this because after getting told by many mic builders this and that I started tinkering with skinning capsules and it gave me further insight. You area wealth of knowledge and I apprecite your passion. Please feel free to call me anytime (818)731-1000
Well, I owe you a coffee anyway from a couple months ago.
Old 15th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Umm...57's are the best. :0)

But JJ...

Your completely missing the point. My point was do "we" use our ears to judge a mic? Or our eyes based on schematics and such? I've used the M149 and the Ref C. I like them both but think the 149 is a better more versatile mic.

Haven't used any CP mics yet but have heard enough mixes to know its a great vocal mic. I've even been considering adding one to the mic locker for some time.

No disrespect intended but I don't really care about the IC's because when I'm making records I never once gave any thought to a schematic, a capsule or an IC. Either the mic suits the source or it doesn't. Again, maybe your missing the forest for the trees?

P.S. If your just harping on the fact that the 149 is overpriced then I'd agree.
Like I said, I never claimed it's a bad mic, or an unusable mic. It's just a rip off that isn't really what it's marketed as. It's marketed as a "tube mic," which it really isn't, in the true sense of how every single other tube mic works. Hence, my "BS circuit" statement. It's like saying all those TL channels were "tube" because they stuck a 12AX7 after the TL072s.

And as far as the M149 being more versatile, it's because it has maybe the best capsule currently in production: The K47. As I stated in an earlier post, the Ref C certainly has an opinion. Any piece of gear like that is not going to work on everything. Hell, my 251s sound horrible on some sources, but nothing sounds bad on my M49s. But that high mid phase shift from a 251, or even a Ref C, can really make things pop out in a beautiful way that a M49 or M149 can't, and that's when you're glad you have one.
Old 3rd February 2017
Here for the gear

New song all vocals done with a Manley Ref C https://soundcloud.com/dannyandalex/laundry
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search