The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1178 = 2 x 1176? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

1178 = 2 x 1176?

For some reason, 1178s are much less desirable than 1176s?

Any reason why I should skip the 1178? I was under the impression it was the same comp...

Cheers!
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Nut

Definitely don't take my word for fact, I could be completely wrong, but maybe it's cause it's based off of later revisions of the 1176 (probably the 1176ln), which is just a less desirable and less illustrious compressor to begin with than revs a-f
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

I own a Urei 1176 Rev D, Rev F and an 1178.

The 1178 holds its own with the blackfaces.

They all sound remarkably similar to my ears.

In my opinion the internet forums have greatly exaggerated the differences in sound between Urei 1176 revisions...........

An 1178 is not exactly two 1176's though because both channels share the same attack and release knob even when in dual mono.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

1178s, like later 1176s, are not discrete. You can get some great crunch though that I can't usually get out of a blackface 1176. Awesome on drum rooms, and I even used it a lot on stereo bus in the '90s.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

I played on a record where an 1178 was used a lot and I thought it sounded really nice.
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
1178s, like later 1176s, are not discrete. You can get some great crunch though that I can't usually get out of a blackface 1176. Awesome on drum rooms, and I even used it a lot on stereo bus in the '90s.
First I had 2x 1176, but these had to be "stereo coupled" using a funny box containing a battery.
But they were o.k.

When the 1178 was released I bought one and have used it a lot on the stereo bus for many years.
You may have noticed that the 1178 is a stereo limiter/compressor, so made for that purpose.
The 1178 still is used on my final mixes, rather than the usual "plug-in's".
I am from the old school and in that time we all had to do without these software things.
We always took care of the sound directly starting at the microphone placement.
That being quite different from putting a microphone somewhere and then start equalizing trying to get the sound of a properly placed microphone.
Bruce Swedien wrote a couple of interesting books about that !
Old 13th October 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SP2016 View Post
...the 1178 is a stereo limiter/compressor, so made for that purpose.
The shared attack & release knobs is definitely a plus for stereo bus work.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvan View Post
The shared attack & release knobs is definitely a plus for stereo bus work.
Exactly !! That is what the designer must have thought, many years ago.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

I believe that all of the 1178s have the 5532 based input circuit as opposed to the transformer like the earlier 1176s

I had an 1178 years ago and it's front end (input) was pretty much the same as the later, silver (REV?) 1176s with the blue, UREI stick-on label.
In fact, I believe almost all 1178s have a blue, stick-on UREI label.

They do stereo MUCH better than two 1176s linked with the UREI device that a previous poster mentioned.
The fact that the UREI stereo adaptor required a battery bugged me greatly.
I always wished that the 1176s had an input to the DETECTOR circuit like DBX 165s.
Old 13th October 2015
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianFernandez View Post
For some reason, 1178s are much less desirable than 1176s?

Any reason why I should skip the 1178? I was under the impression it was the same comp...

Cheers!
I would not skip the 1178, and the prices are rising on them (not sure if one was spotted in CLAs studio!?).

It is a little different, for example, in some portions of the circuit, discrete transistor paths have been replaced with ICs. However that makes you feel, fundamentally, its no less an 1176 than other revisions of the unit.

The original uses matched FETs for the compression and metering, so you are using a FET just for metering, while its almost impossible to get two units to track really well in stereo, even with the "battery box" mentioned earlier.

The 1178 uses a dual FET package for stereo operation, which means the operation is matched, and environmentally caused fluctuations are equal to both in one package.

Gustav

Last edited by Labs; 13th October 2015 at 10:38 AM..
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search