The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Soundelux ifet 7
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Soundelux ifet 7

I've been using this in my own studio for a few months and think it's a great mic for vocals but I took it into another studio recently and found that the vocal was very bright, more than I'd noticed before. Does anyone else who uses this mic find this with any particular pre or is it a characteristic of the mic which I'm not picking up in my own studio?

Any thoughts would be helpful,

Steve
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I often end up using it in "i" mode for the same reasons...I like this mic a lot.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

It's Bright that's true, but the 414 it's brighter... Try to match it with another pre. It's a great mic. And I use it in V position.
Alessio
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I recently tested a few mics with a few pre's and the iFet7 through the MArtech MSS-10 was a great match. It sounded really good (in V Mode). Sounded totally differenton an avalon 737sp or the Manley Slam. No matter how great the mic is, it WILL sound different depending on the preamp.
Old 14th January 2007
What speakers are you using, and what speakers were the other studio using? Did the track sound bright when you took it back to your studio for a listen?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Nathan

I have a project studio here with Genelecs. The studio I took it to had speakers I'd never heard before called Miller and Kreisel, MK. He'd also got a brand new Audient desk. I was using the ifet 7 through my own Daking pre.

Steve
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I can't say that I've ever really thought the ifet was too "bright" its definately considerably more crisp than alot of mics but its always my go to, despite having several other varieties in the stable. IMHO M&K speakers are pretty bright, which may account for the differences you heard.

Good Luck!

Jon
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I actually think it has an exceptional mid range that say, the U195 doesn't have. I usually pair my ifet7 up with a DW Fearn VT1 or a Crane Song Flamingo.
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Maniac

i have been trying out the ifet for the last couple of days. i too felt the the v mode was a little too bright for my taste on vocals. i guess it would be good for a singer that doesn't have a lot of air in their voice. just not for mine. the I mode is awesome though. it sounds great on vocals and also on the usual 47 type jobs like kick and bass.

I can't say that i've heard another condenser mic at this price point that sounds as good.
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Nut

The ifet7 was one of the sleepers of the Soundelux mic line. If anything, some folks thought it a bit on the dark side. It was not what I'd consider a bright mic, at least not amongst other condensers I've heard.
Old 7th November 2007
Gear Maniac
I've always thought mine was dark sounding. Much darker than my Blue Dragonfly Deluxe and my U87ai.

BTW, I just tried my IFET tonight in my Demeter iso cab in the "i" mode thru an API 512c and it was great. My IFET produces a very weak signal with a relatively high noise floor, but the loud spls in the iso cab were a perfect match for this. In the same application, my Blue Woodpecker ribbon mic produced just too hot a signal and kept distorting.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search