The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
what buss-comp ?
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Addict

what buss-comp ?

Hi to all,
I want to buy an hardware Buss-Compressor an I've see that is usual to put the SSL XLogic G or handmade clone.
I'm working in chillout music style like: Café del Mar, Buddha Bar, Playa Azul etc.
My doubt concerns the fact if it is better, for this kind of music, an SSL-G or something with valves like TL-Audio C2, Tube Tech or others.
I work with lite compression, only -2dB.

Thank you for your help, bye

Sonia

PS: unfortunately here there are not shops that rent the instruments and gear...
Old 14th January 2007
HI,I believe that any good compressor can serve you on 2 buss.The Neve 33609 sounds very well and it fattens the sound,SSL G is more agressive...on tastes..colors
it tries to prove all those that you can
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I usually don't use comps on the 2 buss, but in your style I would use something gentle and transparent compression-wise, a Fearn VT-7 comes to mind. Very musical, retains all the tone and glory of the track with just that wonderful touch of enhanced coherence. My 0,2 cts....

Cheers,
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm not sure on the bands/genre of music you've listed....I'd say for rap...Manley E-lop
Rock.....Manley vari-mu and on everything else..the ssl (I do own and use all three)
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I would take a listen to SPL's Kultube...Not to mention the price is great on these units, they sound amazing on stereo source material and are also very flexible for tracking. I use it quite a lot on the 2 buss and I also own the SSL Gcomp and the Manley Slam! The Kultube also has a variable tube saturation (tracking ok, wouldn't suggest it for the mix). It really is another great and understated unit. Much nicer on the 2 buss than a TLA C-1(Which I also own as well).
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
I would take a listen to SPL's Kultube...Not to mention the price is great on these units, they sound amazing on stereo source material and are also very flexible for tracking. I use it quite a lot on the 2 buss and I also own the SSL Gcomp and the Manley Slam! The Kultube also has a variable tube saturation (tracking ok, wouldn't suggest it for the mix). It really is another great and understated unit. Much nicer on the 2 buss than a TLA C-1(Which I also own as well).
Hey Rob,

I can get a Kultube for a really cheap price.

What do you like yours on? How would you describe its colour?

I can get it for $900( demo unit)...should I just rush and get it?

I got 1176, la2a , dynamaxx ( which I luuuuv btw) , dbx160x, xt and a buzz SOC is on the way.
Were would it sit in this setup? Would it be a nice addition?

Thanks
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Where is it?? I will take it for $900. Seriously..

It kinda reminds me of a warm/clean hybrid of an la2a and 1176. I don't know how to explain it really. The unit can sound super clean (for me this is a good thing on the 2 buss) but it has character. You really just need to hear it, and at $900 do yourself a favor and get that or I will. Different then the Dyna-Maxx (which I also have). It is one of my "magic" boxes. Great on verything from vocals, drum groups, 2bussetc. And it has the largest VUmeter in my studio. lol
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Where is it?? I will take it for $900. Seriously..

It kinda reminds me of a warm/clean hybrid of an la2a and 1176. I don't know how to explain it really. The unit can sound super clean (for me this is a good thing on the 2 buss) but it has character. You really just need to hear it, and at $900 do yourself a favor and get that or I will. Different then the Dyna-Maxx (which I also have). It is one of my "magic" boxes. Great on verything from vocals, drum groups, 2bussetc. And it has the largest VUmeter in my studio. lol
Well sounds great!! I think I'll go for it. I really like SPL stuff in general, except for a couple of things I didn't think were so great. I think the Dynamaxx is a bargain, I got mine for about $600 and that sure wasn't a dissapointing investment, great on drums.
It's in Paris...France that is...
You're right, VUmeters are important!
I'll go hear it first just to get an idea but I got a feeling I am going to like it.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I use a Summit DCL-200 on the 2 buss. It really fattens up the sound of my mixes and it glues everything together in a very pleasant, musical way. Definitely worth a listen.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1236040 View Post
Hi to all,
I want to buy an hardware Buss-Compressor an I've see that is usual to put the SSL XLogic G or handmade clone.
I'm working in chillout music style like: Café del Mar, Buddha Bar, Playa Azul etc.
My doubt concerns the fact if it is better, for this kind of music, an SSL-G or something with valves like TL-Audio C2, Tube Tech or others.
I work with lite compression, only -2dB.

Thank you for your help, bye

Sonia

PS: unfortunately here there are not shops that rent the instruments and gear...
If you have the money ,get a Shadow Hills compressor..
It's sick.Amazing..I love it.
I spent some time a/bing mine to some Fairchild 660's a few days ago and it sounded so good,the guy who owns the Fairchilds ordered one on the spot..
this is a guy who owns racks of Fairchilds,Pultecs,Neves,Abbey Road TG console and every other vintage piece/instrument you could possibly imagine..

Also,Fellow GS'r/mixer extrodanaire Michael Brauer has one coming too.
Old 15th January 2007

API 2500
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I like the Pendulum for the stuff you mentioned - OCL that is (or Quartet in my case)

Jo
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
If you have the money ,get a Shadow Hills compressor..
It's sick.Amazing..I love it.
I spent some time a/bing mine to some Fairchild 660's a few days ago and it sounded so good,the guy who owns the Fairchilds ordered one on the spot..
this is a guy who owns racks of Fairchilds,Pultecs,Neves,Abbey Road TG console and every other vintage piece/instrument you could possibly imagine..

Also,Fellow GS'r/mixer extrodanaire Michael Brauer has one coming too.
I've had mine for a couple months and it's as awesome as it looks. It's not only an excellent stereo buss comp. but it can pump like crazy if you turn the knobs to 11.
michael
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

If Peter could make a stripped down version of the Shadow Hills Mastering comp, it would be great.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

STC-8
Old 16th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
STC-8
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

Neve Portico 5043
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Man, some good options.

Given the style of music you're into [stuff I really dig, btw!], of what I've used, I'd lean towards a 33609. It's got a definite vibe that might suit your style... or not.

I tend not to get what I want from the Summit on 2bus --though I love it on other things.

Definitely NOT an SSL, Smart or that ilk. I wouldn't expect the API 2500 to really do it, but I can't claim to know that compressor very well, as I've only used it a few times, and on more uppity music.

If you want a flexible VCA comp for that style, perhaps a Focusrite Red 3 will suit you. I find that I really like mixing through that piece. It's gentler, but lends a satisfying glue. Hi-fi gloss, without smacking things down too much.

I haven't used the Portico, but the sound samples I've heard indicate that it might be a useful option at a livable price. Seems like a cross between a 33609 & a Red3 in vibe. That's TOTAL speculation based on a few GS-posted sound samples and checking out the specs.

I'm actually mixing/remixing a chillout electronica project in the coming weeks, so I'll get to grapple with this a bit. Might try to demo a few at my place while I'm working on it...
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHB850 View Post
I've had mine for a couple months and it's as awesome as it looks. It's not only an excellent stereo buss comp. but it can pump like crazy if you turn the knobs to 11.
michael
thumbsup
Yes
Fantastic tracking comp too.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by krid View Post
If Peter could make a stripped down version of the Shadow Hills Mastering comp, it would be great.
Got an API rack?

Something might just be in the works
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I only put a 2 bus comp at the end if the track requires it for certain effect, glue or genre, i suggest for balaeric music a Thermionic Pheonix if required, it has great bass presence & glue or even better a Pheonix in to a GML 8900 or vice versa.

Good luck..

Interestingly what is the current wait time on a Shadow hills comp ?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Vintage Design CL1MK2.

Will get mine this week end hopefully.

Until then I have to get along with the SLAM, Vari-Mu, DS1.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
I only put a 2 bus comp at the end if the track requires it for certain effect, glue or genre, i suggest for balaeric music a Thermionic Pheonix if required, it has great bass presence & glue or even better a Pheonix in to a GML 8900 or vice versa.
Since getting the SH,My Phoenix is pretty much parked on one of the guitar/drum/keys busses thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack P View Post
Interestingly what is the current wait time on a Shadow hills comp ?
Call VK..
its not that long now..at least not the 14 months I waitedheh
I'll tell you this: whatever the wait,it's worth it.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

Thank you guys, I have understood that I have to forget SSL and Neve ... well, I'm attracted from Focusrite Red3 but I have see that it have an hi-price... like other good valve compressors... I can use for the routing an RME-ADI2, is it right ?
I can also to see for a good plugin (PC-VST) to put on stereo out, but I think that analog gear is other world...

My preference is a sound like:
Afterlife - Breather 2000 (Café del Mar vol.7)
or
chambao

Thank you
besos

Sonia
Old 16th January 2007
HI,hola.Lo mejor es que pruebes cuantos mas mejor antes de decidirte a comprar un compresor de ese tipo(son carissssssimos)intente alquilar alguno y lo pruebas,yo lo híce antes de empeñarme. .
Saludos
Old 16th January 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

for 2 buss - what about the Roll compressor? comments?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1236040 View Post
I'm working in chillout music style.
I wouldn't suggest SSL, it could be good rather for more aggressive tracks. If you don't need more than 2-3 dB of compression, Vari-mu should be good choice as well as other smooth compressors.
Old 16th January 2007
bhp
Gear Nut

Pendulum ES-8
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

i have 6 high end compressors including the stc-8 and allen smart c2....the Xlogic g-series compressor hand down is my favorite compressor on the mix buss...its very easy to dial in your settings for that sweet spot and the glue it gives you in a mix is always perfect..its never overkill ...it has become my favorite compressor for the mix buss...now i want some E- signature channels..its gonna happen
Old 17th January 2007
for café del mar kind of things a Kultube is very nice
change the tubes!
Another machine you could consider is the Gyraf Gyratec. That would be perfect.

please note this is europe. no roll comp in sight
Kultubes and Gyraffes abundant.
SSL could work, but IMO is not "silky" enough for what I think you want to do.
I just got an API 2500 and I'm in love, but the Kultube is not out of the picture.

Saludos
El Reptil

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search