The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Thinking of switching to TLM107 instead of TLM49 for vocals, with a Neve preamp Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Nut
Thinking of switching to TLM107 instead of TLM49 for vocals, with a Neve preamp

Was thinking of buying the Neumann TLM107 (Black) and an AMS Neve 1073 preamp for vocals.

I was using a TLM49 with a Rupert Neve 5032 into a UA 1176LN and got a good sound that seemed to fit my music ok, which is kind of a hybrid of Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode influences.

I'm not really dead set on trying to have some vintage sound, I just want warm, rich, thick, and not too harsh in any frequencies.

Some things I'm wondering right now:

1) Do you think I would be disappointed switching to the TLM107 sound-wise for vocals?

2) Do you think I would be disappointed switching to the 1073 from the 5032?

3) Of course, I need a compressor... any ideas for a compressor that would go well with that combo?

4) If you think I should stick with the TLM49, let me know what preamp and compressor you think would go best with it. Money is really not a problem.

5) What is the difference between the preamp in the 1073 and the one in the 5032?

6) Is it true I shouldn't get a tube preamp for the TLM49 since it has the tube emulation?

7) Does the TLM107 have tube emulation?

Last edited by squint; 9th October 2015 at 05:59 AM..
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by squint View Post
Was thinking of buying the Neumann TLM107 (Black) and an AMS Neve 1073 preamp for vocals.

I was using a TLM49 with a Rupert Neve 5032 into a UA 1176LN and got a good sound that seemed to fit my music ok, which is kind of a hybrid of Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode influences.

I'm not really dead set on trying to have some vintage sound, I just want warm, rich, thick, and not too harsh in any frequencies.

Some things I'm wondering right now:

1) Do you think I would be disappointed switching to the TLM107 sound-wise for vocals?

3) Of course, I need a compressor... any ideas for a compressor that would go well with that combo?

4) If you think I should stick with the TLM49, let me know what preamp and compressor you think would go best with it. Money is really not a problem.

5) What is the difference between the preamp in the 1073 and the one in the 5032?

6) Is it true I shouldn't get a tube preamp for the TLM49 since it has the tube emulation?

Hi There!
Despite being a question of taste and production goals that might vary my/your opinion I'd try to answer your questions..

1. Who knows.. it's a matter of matching the mic to the source.. in this case the vocals.. the 107 could be fantastic or not really that great.. sometimes the best mic for a vocalist is a cheap sm7 sometimes is a neumann u47.. as said depends also what do you want to achieve.. I suggest to test as many mics as you could and keep the one that FITS your vocals and production the best.

2.Probably yes.. again a matter of taste.. really want a good neve preamp? If getting a vintage one is out of the question, a Bae 1073 or even a 1073mpf or an Avedis MA5 plus a lunchbox will do just as well.

3. Compressor.. 1176 or an 1178 will serve you well.. Crane Song Trakker is a fantastic piece imho, if budget is not an issue I'd consider a retro sta level or an LA2A as well for that coloured finished tone.

4. Match the mic to the source..very important.. then read points 2 and 3.

5. One is more of a classic class a transistor design the other is a modern ic design..either could be good or less good..depending of what you want.. I do like classic class A designs like the aforementioned pieces in point 2 the best.

6. No.. but depends what do you want to achieve.. some tube preamps are really clean sounding imho.. so depends from the make and the model.. a nice telefunken v72 or v76 will give great results with any given mic on this planet.. other recent made tube preamps worth considering are electronaut m63 and dw fearn designs.

7. No, and it's probably a very good thing imho.

I hope this helps..

Cheu
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
> 1) Do you think I would be disappointed switching to the TLM107 sound-wise for vocals?

1. Who knows.. it's a matter of matching the mic to the source.. in this case the vocals.. the 107 could be fantastic or not really that great.. sometimes the best mic for a vocalist is a cheap sm7 sometimes is a neumann u47.. as said depends also what do you want to achieve.. I suggest to test as many mics as you could and keep the one that FITS your vocals and production the best.
Ok, so just rent mics until I find one that fits me. Thing is, I don't want to rent the mic, preamp and compressor, and the rental place near me doesn't have a varied enough selection anyway,

So I want to buy something now, and then rent around that. So I guess it should be the preamp?

Quote:
> 2) Do you think I would be disappointed switching to the 1073 from the 5032?

2.Probably yes.. again a matter of taste.. really want a good neve preamp? If getting a vintage one is out of the question, a Bae 1073 or even a 1073mpf or an Avedis MA5 plus a lunchbox will do just as well.
Ok, so since I only record one source at a time, i.e. me singing mostly—everything else is electronic in my music—is there any benefit to spending more in order to get a dual-channel mic pre? If not, does that change your recommendation for the 1073mpf?

Is the BAE 1073 black module just as good as the rack mount version? If so, I noticed it as a connector on the back. Pardon my ignorance but what do I need to get in order to be able to plug it in?

Quote:
> 3) Of course, I need a compressor... any ideas for a compressor that would go well with that combo?

3. Compressor.. 1176 or an 1178 will serve you well.. Crane Song Trakker is a fantastic piece imho, if budget is not an issue I'd consider a retro sta level or an LA2A as well for that coloured finished tone.
Ok, I was using a 1776LN before. By 1178 do you mean Urei 1178? Does that have a 2nd channel that I don't need?

Quote:
> 4) If you think I should stick with the TLM49, let me know what preamp and compressor you think would go best with it. Money is really not a problem.

4. Match the mic to the source..very important.. then read points 2 and 3.
I think I am going to try the TLM107.

Quote:
> 5) What is the difference between the preamp in the 1073 and the one in the 5032?

5. One is more of a classic class a transistor design the other is a modern ic design..either could be good or less good..depending of what you want.. I do like classic class A designs like the aforementioned pieces in point 2 the best.
Ok, noted. Why do you like the classic class A designs more? What are some of your favorite examples of good vocal sounds on albums you like?

Quote:
> 6) Is it true I shouldn't get a tube preamp for the TLM49 since it has the tube emulation?

6. No.. but depends what do you want to achieve.. some tube preamps are really clean sounding imho.. so depends from the make and the model.. a nice telefunken v72 or v76 will give great results with any given mic on this planet.. other recent made tube preamps worth considering are electronaut m63 and dw fearn designs.
Hmm, where do I even buy these? I'm searching around and not finding a place to buy..

Quote:
> 7) Does the TLM107 have tube emulation?

7. No, and it's probably a very good thing imho.
Wonder why they did that on the TLM49 and what preamps go best with that one.

Quote:
I hope this helps..
It did, thanks!
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

I agree with the rent/try before you buy scenario. You really never know what is going to be best on a vocal until you try to match them up, although there are of course the tried and true mics as mentioned above. That said, I had a TLM49 and found it to be of limited use for vocals. A few people matched to that mic but frankly, not many. I found it strident and lacking meat in the mid and lower range for singers.

There is not a dramatic difference between an AMS 1073 and the Rupert Neve you already have. I have done that shootout and they are very similar. This if you are thinking of just the preamp. If you want the EQ section on the 1073, well that's a different story. So don't expect a large step up and maybe you can save some money here.

The 1176 is definitely a recommendation as would be an LA2A or more modern the Tubetech CL1B

My recommendation is skip the Neve, put that money into a Neumann M149 which has the Neumann tone most singers want to hear and can be bought for around $3k used. Sell the TLM49.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Nut
Thanks. I actually don't own anything yet - I was renting the TLM49 and Neve 5032H and 1176LN.

Ok, so the Neumann M149 sounds good to me. What is the best preamp I can get for it that is under $3000?

Oh, also, I have been using a Propellerhead Balance as my audio interface. What would be a good one to upgrade to? I use a Mac. Again, money not a problem, I just want something good that will last. I don't need a lot of inputs. Just 1 or 2. But I don't want to sacrifice audio quality.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, so the Neumann M149 sounds good to me. What is the best preamp I can get for it that is under $3000?
Money not an object....

I would pick up the AMS 1073 for preamp
I would get the 1176 for rock or blues vocals
CL1B for other types of music
Lynx Hilo, 2 channels top ADDA. (If you need more ADDA then there would be other recommendations like a Lynx Aurora 16 or Orion 32)

The above would rival anything you hear on the radio.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Nut
Would this do as the Neve 1073?

Neve 1073LB - Vintage King Audio

I thought I heard the LB wasn't as good.

Or do I need to get this one? : AMS Neve | 1073

Where can I buy that? Should I go the eBay route?

Should I buy all this stuff used?

Thanks a ton for all the help. Really appreciate it. Love this forum.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

You want this one = Neve 1073 DPA (Demo Deal) - Vintage King Audio (note 2 preamps only)
If you want a full 1073 with EQ then this Vintage King 3U Neve 1073 Style 2 Channel Rack - Unloaded - Vintage King Audio + Neve 1073 CH - Vintage King Audio
You could go with the 1073 LB which is 500 series to save money.

Understand, 1073 means different things to different people. 1073 preamps are often referenced alongside 1073 with EQ which are two different things. The original 1073 had the EQ incorporated. To save costs, they sell the preamp separately but you need to be aware of this and check to make sure you get what you paid for. The 1073 LB is a preamp only 500 series preamp with no EQ. You can buy the EQ in a separate module 500 series module and connect them together to give you a fully integrated 1073 in 500 series format.

If you want to get the best return on your money, always used.
Vintageking is a safe bet because they test all the gear prior to sending to you. Guaranteed operational.
Ebay, is higher risk but I've actually never been burned there, although I hear stories.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

dbl post
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

I have a TLM 107 and it's really nice. I haven't spent so much time with it yet on vocals but did some scratch tracks recently. I'd describe it as clear and natural, pretty smooth, solid and slightly "modern" sounding. Great low end, open highs and yes, that Neumann "body".

Quality mic for sure, boils down to a matter of taste. I think this one will find its way to a lot of studios of all sizes. I just might get another one for stereo.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Maniac

The TLM49 gets dissed sometimes on Gearslutz, but I think that mic sounds great on rap vocals.

My current most-often used signal chain for rap: Neumann TLM49 -> AMS Neve 1073N -> UA 1176 -> Apogee Symphony

The UA LA-610 mkII plays nicely with the TLM49 as well.

I've had the Rupert Neve Designs 511 pre for a few years now too, which is similar to the 5032. Between the AMS-Neve 1073D, the LA-610, my Great Rivers and SSL VHD pres, the RND 511 my least favorite preamp for vocals. YMMV.

Last edited by daddykev; 10th October 2015 at 05:35 AM..
Old 10th October 2015
and now for some very different answers...

Quote:
Good thinking. The TLM49 is an excellent voice-over mic, to the point that it seems like it literally 'removes' the singing from a voice. But as a rap or V.O. microphone? Stellar.
If you're using it for voice over or a rap, a TLM49 is hard to beat.

Quote:
NO. Dark, a little bit U67ish.

Quote:
Not a chance. The AMS Neve 1073 lives up to it's model name. Consider the 1073DPX

Quote:
An LA2a (or clone) combined with a Warm 76.

Quote:
Depends on the type of vocals... if purely singing? Dump the 49

Quote:
Same cook, different recipe.

Quote:
No. 1950s was all tube mics, tube pres and tube EQs. No one complained then or now about that sound.

Quote:
No, nor does it need it.
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Nut
Thanks for your reply man. Good info. This raises a few more questions:

1) The 1073DPX looks like a dual. What's a good single?

2) Is this the LA-2A you were thinking of? Teletronix® LA-2A CLassic Leveling Amplifier | Universal Audio

Or is there a clone that is pretty much just as good I can check out?

3) Am I going to notice a big difference if I use the Neumann M149 Tube into the 1073 and then LA-2A vs the Neumann TLM107 into the 1073 and then LA-2A? Or does it just depend on my voice/performance? i.e. first combo may be better for some, and second may be better for others?
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Well a great compressor that would go well with those choices is the nail by a designs . It would also give you a lot more choices when mixing in a 2 bus .
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

I found the TLM107 to be one of the best multi pattern mics around for under 2k. Flat and natural but with an open smooth top end. Incredibly versatile but not colored at all so what you put into it is what you get. The M149 is completely different, stellar on certain vocals and amazing on acoustic guitar, it definitely has a sonic signature whereas the TLM107 is way more neutral.
Old 10th October 2015
Heritage audio 2 ch 1073 or aurora audio gtq2 (2ch) or aurora audio stinger if only need to record DI and mic simultaneously. The quality of these brands can be researched here on gearslutz this is for preamp. I suggest gtq2 b/c price per channel it's best has eq and filters as well. Plus built by Geoff tanner who was at neve when the 1073 etc etc was commissioned and originally produced.

Warm audio wa-76 compressor (1176 clone)
Fredenstein (more budget friendly ) stand alone compressors could work as well. ( I have not used personally though.)

Also stam audio if you don't mind prepaying and waiting offers a nice clone of la2a called sa2a. You could also look at serpent audio splice I believe it's called that's is based in 1176 rev a and rev d

Also you did not state what interface or your monitoring setup or if your room is treated / untreated? If untreated I would rethink your approach and do this first along with monitoring setup. If you can't hear what you recording or mixing accurately you can't judge the value or difference between interface pres and 1073 with poor acoustics and monitoring.

Also your interface and whether you have direct monitoring meaning no latency while tracking plus gain staging between these pieces of gear will be paramount to achieving the sound you are after

Good luck and I personally would get vintage u87 or if not in budget then an 87 clone built from one of the reputable builders for less cost

Last edited by ChaseUTB; 10th October 2015 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Added info
Old 10th October 2015
Lives for gear

I am going to go against the grain here a bit on the TLM107. I have two of the TLM49s here and many other much more expensive mics and demoes the TLM107. While it sort of sounds like a multi pattern TLM103, I decided that I really just didn't care for it on anything. We record everything from voice overs to choirs and hard rock etc...No rap really.

I found that I could get much better results with just an AKG 414 TLii than I could with the TLM107. The TLM107 worked and yes I could get sound recorded with it but I found I really didn't care for it and it was not as clear as the TLM49 or as useful in many instances as the 414TLii.

If you are going to spend $1600 for a 107, why not save up a couple hundred more dollars and buy a nice used U87ai off of Ebay. I have several of them that I bought for around $1800 -$1900 and is a much more versatile and usable mic than the TLM107. The TLM49s get used a lot around here along with the U87s.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, so just rent mics until I find one that fits me.

So I want to buy something now, and then rent around that. So I guess it should be the preamp?

Ok, so since I only record one source at a time, i.e. me singing mostly—everything else is electronic in my music—is there any benefit to spending more in order to get a dual-channel mic pre? If not, does that change your recommendation for the 1073mpf?

Is the BAE 1073 black module just as good as the rack mount version? If so, I noticed it as a connector on the back. Pardon my ignorance but what do I need to get in order to be able to plug it in?

Ok, noted. Why do you like the classic class A designs more? What are some of your favorite examples of good vocal sounds on albums you like?

Hmm, where do I even buy these? I'm searching around and not finding a place to buy..
Try to test the mics you're interested in before buying them or have a policy where you could test them and send back what you don't need/like.

I think you could find a bae1073 mpf single channel as well.. that is what I thought.. not only the 2 channel version. I thought you could buy 1 great channel preamp and use the rest of the money for a great mic and great comps that holds their value over time.. hopefully.

Equally great is the Avedis MA5, which I'd choose over other preamps.. it sounds really good, and costs also less than several other big names competitors.. made only with high quality parts. It's made to sound great and last a lifetime.

Regarding the module 1073, I believe that what you saw is the 10xx module that fits in the 80xx series console (old neves).. you need a rack (or a neve console) for powering that up.several companies such as bae and vintage king makes these racks.. but is not really worthed the investment unless you plan to buy 6-8 channels..
The 19" rack version is more "user friendly" for the small recording spaces or "home studios".

Sounds equally well.. 1023 is exactly like a 1073, but for 300$ more you got more frequency points in the eq.. the eq sounds spectacular, but you might not "need" it..and you could invest those 2k toward the mic or towards a great compressor instead of el cheapo clones.

Bae 1073 mpf, Avedis MA5 plus lunchbox is what I'd get if you're looking for that neve sound.. also Aurora Audio has excellent offerings (stinger is intersting since you need only one channel)..slightly more "open" sounding...I prefer them to other offerings on the market, which surprisingly costs much much more.
Many many albums were tracked through neves.. classic for a reason.. I feel that while ic design could sound good, they rarely match the depth and "phatness" of these old designs (like bae and Avedis does).. components and designs choices.. at least this is my opinion.

Dw fearn and electronaut, along with bae and Avedis could be found at Vintage King, but there are other dealers that might sell them.

Regarding the compressor.
1176 is a great piece.. the 1178 is a stereo version.. but it sounds slightly different.. the bonus is that you could track vocals through it, and then using it on other parts of you mix (like a parallel drum buss comp, for exemple).

But a Crane Song Trakker would also be an excellent choice, very versatile, I do like them a lot (I own a pair).. this or an 1176/8 along with an LA2A or retro sta level would be a great buy.

Regarding the mic:
The m149 could be a great mic for vocals indeed.. test it out! :-)
The 107 looks promising as well.. as said is probably "cleaner" / neutral... a vintage u87 could be a great buy as well.. it sounds probably good on just about anything and holds its value.
A voxorama M36 might be a nice alternative to the tlm series..

Again a matter of matching the mic to the source and the "style" or production goals.

Just my 0.02$,

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Nut
Thanks for your lengthy and thoughtful post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheu78 View Post
I think you could find a bae1073 mpf single channel as well.. that is what I thought.. not only the 2 channel version. I thought you could buy 1 great channel preamp and use the rest of the money for a great mic and great comps that holds their value over time.. hopefully.
yeah that sounds good.

Quote:
Equally great is the Avedis MA5, which I'd choose over other preamps.. it sounds really good, and costs also less than several other big names competitors.. made only with high quality parts. It's made to sound great and last a lifetime.

Sounds equally well.. 1023 is exactly like a 1073, but for 300$ more you got more frequency points in the eq.. the eq sounds spectacular, but you might not "need" it..and you could invest those 2k toward the mic or towards a great compressor instead of el cheapo clones.

Bae 1073 mpf, Avedis MA5 plus lunchbox is what I'd get if you're looking for that neve sound.. also Aurora Audio has excellent offerings (stinger is intersting since you need only one channel)..slightly more "open" sounding...I prefer them to other offerings on the market, which surprisingly costs much much more.
Many many albums were tracked through neves.. classic for a reason.. I feel that while ic design could sound good, they rarely match the depth and "phatness" of these old designs (like bae and Avedis does).. components and designs choices.. at least this is my opinion.
so if money was no object what would you get? and if it was, what would you get?

no object = BAE 1073 mpf?
object = Aurora Stinger, or Avedis MA5? or are they tied in your book? the Stinger seems more versatile, but does it sound as good? that's mostly what i'm concerned about..

Quote:
Regarding the compressor.
1176 is a great piece.. the 1178 is a stereo version.. but it sounds slightly different.. the bonus is that you could track vocals through it, and then using it on other parts of you mix (like a parallel drum buss comp, for exemple).

But a Crane Song Trakker would also be an excellent choice, very versatile, I do like them a lot (I own a pair).. this or an 1176/8 along with an LA2A or retro sta level would be a great buy.
so if I get a 1176/8 I need to get an LA2A in addition to that? I thought the LA2A would replace the 1176/8. what's the difference?

i might be going slightly over budget - if i were to compromise, i should probably compromise on the compressor, right? with that in mind, what would you recommend?

Quote:
Regarding the mic:
The m149 could be a great mic for vocals indeed.. test it out! :-)
The 107 looks promising as well.. as said is probably "cleaner" / neutral... a vintage u87 could be a great buy as well.. it sounds probably good on just about anything and holds its value.
A voxorama M36 might be a nice alternative to the tlm series..

Again a matter of matching the mic to the source and the "style" or production goals.
I want it to sound warm, thick, rich, smooth, compressed but not overcompressed. I'm after a modern sound but that might mean getting some classic going in a new setting, if that makes sense. I'll make the vocal work with whatever I have. My voice is pretty flexible, so I think if something has proven to work for many artists over the years, I can make it work too.

I can rent the TLM107 and U87ai but I can't rent a U87 or M149. What I could do is buy the U87 and M149 and then rent the others and do a shootout with the preamp and compressor and whatever else I decided on.

Thanks for your help man, by far the most helpful post yet!
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
so if money was no object what would you get? and if it was, what would you get?

no object = BAE 1073 mpf?
object = Aurora Stinger, or Avedis MA5? or are they tied in your book? the Stinger seems more versatile, but does it sound as good? that's mostly what i'm concerned about..

so if I get a 1176/8 I need to get an LA2A in addition to that? I thought the LA2A would replace the 1176/8. what's the difference?

i might be going slightly over budget - if i were to compromise, i should probably compromise on the compressor, right? with that in mind, what would you recommend?

I want it to sound warm, thick, rich, smooth, compressed but not overcompressed. I'm after a modern sound but that might mean getting some classic going in a new setting, if that makes sense. I'll make the vocal work with whatever I have. My voice is pretty flexible, so I think if something has proven to work for many artists over the years, I can make it work too.

I can rent the TLM107 and U87ai but I can't rent a U87 or M149. What I could do is buy the U87 and M149 and then rent the others and do a shootout with the preamp and compressor and whatever else I decided on.

Thanks for your help man, by far the most helpful post yet!
I'd put more efforts on getting the right mic for YOU.. as said, test as many as you can.. I guess that with any mic mentioned here you'll get good, professional, results..but it's really a matter of finding the mic that fits your production goals/taste.
I'd rent the 107 and u87 and see how do you like them.. then you could buy the 149 and see if you like it better.. if not, send it back.. do so until you could find something that strikes you.
Brauner, Vintage U87, Voxorama M36, Violet Design Amethyst Vintage or the great Flamingo (Standard or Vintage), Flea 49 and a Josephson C715 is what I'll try to test..maybe also some ribbons like the coles 4038 or an AEA R84 or their 44...(you definitely need a drier room for ribbons).

Some of these are quite expensive.. not forcely better for YOUR vocals/taste.

Try also some dynamics like the Shure SM7..it's a pretty cool mic that works very well for some vocals/productions, and it's not expensive.

I hope you have a good room where to record your vocals.. that comes first..even before the mic choice..

Money no object on a preamp? The Avedis MA5 is one of the BEST preamps money could buy imho.. and it's not expensive. It will be on top of my list regardless on how much money I'll have. Yes it's that good.

You could get a BAE 1023 and have a very nice and smooth EQ.. if this is worth more than 3 times that price is a matter of needs.. for sure it's a nice piece.. but you could also always add an Avedis E27 or an API 550a down the road if really needed, since if you'll get an MA5 you'll get also some sort of lunchbox.

The 1176 (and 1178) it's a fet compressor..very fast..very punchy but could be "relatively transparent" with his action or quite aggressive and be quite obvious in his action.. depending on the signal and settings.. it's one of the fastest compressors.

The LA2A is an opto compressor, based on an opto cell (t4b) which is responsible for the compression behaviour and a tube circuit around that.. it's quite slow..very smooth and impart a nice tone to the source..although its compression is not grabby at all.. smooth and "transparent" action.. it's not a transparent unit, because of its thick tone..the compression is behaviour is (unless really really crushed).

The 2 are very good together if you want.. compressing less with every unit, cascading them, is a great way to achieve what you want.. a compressed sound that sounds good and doesn't feel smashed. These are classics for a reason.

The Crane Song Trakker is a very transparent compressor that could "emulate" different compression characteristics.. but it's not a cheap digital emulation..it's a fully anaolg piece, it mimics the different compression behaviours of the compressors more that their "tone"..very very nice piece.. could be used instead of an 1176..
It could also do the LA2A thing in the vintage opto mode..but doesn't have that "tone" that some might look for or like.
But the Trakker is able to do 20db of compression without any artifacts.. Dave Hill showed that to me on a delicate jazz vocalist.. I couldn't believe my ears.. really impressed.
I believe it will become a classic piece in 20 years.

Conclusion:
Get a great mic that fits your taste and great preamp (like the ones mentioned above), start with one compressor and don't over compress while tracking..just control some peaks.. then see if you need another compressor for that finished tone.

With anything mentioned in my posts you'll get great results.. it's really a matter of taste at this level.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Nut
Thanks Cheu - I'll reply hopefully tonight and address individual points as needed, but while I remember, what do you think about audio interfaces? I've been using a Propellerhead Balance all this time. I had a Duet before that. They seem about the same, but I never did an A/B comparison.

I can get a new Apogee quartet for around $899, and an Apogee ensemble w/ Waves gold plugin bundle for around $1555. I really only record stuff one track at a time, but I guess there might come a day when I may record multiple tracks at once.

Or should I get the Apollo 8? Someone on Sweetwater said they liked it more than the Ensemble Thunderbolt. I can't get a discount on that one though.

Is there something else I can get that would be better and under these prices? They seem like good deals.

Last edited by squint; 12th October 2015 at 08:53 PM..
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Cheu - I'll reply hopefully tonight and address individual points as needed, but while I remember, what do you think about audio interfaces? I've been using a Propellerhead Balance all this time. I had a Duet before that. They seem about the same, but I never did an A/B comparison.
I never used the propellerhead balance.. so can't comment..
but an Apogee Symphony 2x6 is perfect for you, maybe you can scout one used.. one of the nicest converter around. The duet is not bad, but the symphony is on another league. After that no more upgrades.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Nut
Quote:
I never used the propellerhead balance.. so can't comment..
but an Apogee Symphony 2x6 is perfect for you, maybe you can scout one used.. one of the nicest converter around. The duet is not bad, but the symphony is on another league. After that no more upgrades.

I hope this helps,

Cheu
I don't get a discount on that one.. Are the newer ones not as good?

Also you didn't say if the Universal Audio Apollo 8 Duo is any good... have you not used that one?
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't get a discount on that one.. Are the newer ones not as good?

Also you didn't say if the Universal Audio Apollo 8 Duo is any good... have you not used that one?
I suspect that the Symphony is in another class altogether..
their converters are really really good ime..
I'm sure the apollo sounds fine, but I'm not sure they will be at that level.. they have other nice features.. but Id pay for what you need.. having an higher quality on the 2 channels that you need..

Just my 0.02$,

Cheu
Old 13th October 2015
JAT
Lives for gear
Get a RND Portico II channel strip. Excellent and thoroughly flexible. Preamp, 4 band EQ w/ HPF and built-in de-esser, and comp. I think your rented Portico has the silk button - the P II has a choice of silk and a knob for amount. If money is not an issue get 2 for 2-buss duties and stereo input.

Then see about renting mics that fit your voice/music and not worry about the input side.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear
I'd go with the GTQC and a custom mic mod by Shannon Rhoades at Mic Rehab | Keeping the classic microphones alive by restoring capsules with today's new technology. and call it a day.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search