The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What would be a good EQ to compliment the Massive Passive? Equalisers (HW)
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Maniac

What would be a good EQ to compliment the Massive Passive?

Hey Guys, I am looking to get a pair of eq's that can be used for both tracking and mastering with good control. One obvious choice seems to be the massive massive, but I know that it is a passive eq and tends to have bands that overlap a lot with a wide Q. Would it be a good idea to get another eq with the same kind of control that the Manley has but that is not necessarily passive and has narrower bands and control? Also I have been told that it would good to have an active eq in addition to a passive because the tonality would be very different between the two. Any suggestions on what to be looking at?
Old 9th October 2015
Portico EQ
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Sontec 250Ex, Elysia MusEQ, Kush Electra pair, API 2500. Or a real alpha mastering EQ like GML9200, Knif Soma, Sontec 432, Buzz REQ. $8k-$12k to get into those though. NOTHING sounds like Massive Passive, so a lot of things will compliment it. Lots of options out there in 500 format as well. If it were me, I'd probably go API 2500. Proportional Q, stepped controls, and you can change the gain range for large or small adjustments. Has great low end, which will compliment the MP, which can have a squishy low end because of the tubes.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Chandler Curve Bender.
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Addict
I second the GML suggestion.

8200 back in production. I love mine. I have Massive passive also.

Last edited by Citrus Fresh; 9th October 2015 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Forgot to say massivo
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slug1 View Post
Sontec 250Ex, Elysia MusEQ, Kush Electra pair, API 2500. Or a real alpha mastering EQ like GML9200, Knif Soma, Sontec 432, Buzz REQ. $8k-$12k to get into those though. NOTHING sounds like Massive Passive, so a lot of things will compliment it. Lots of options out there in 500 format as well. If it were me, I'd probably go API 2500. Proportional Q, stepped controls, and you can change the gain range for large or small adjustments. Has great low end, which will compliment the MP, which can have a squishy low end because of the tubes.
I think you meant the api 5500...the api 2500 is their compressor

ej
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear
No! The MP is the only EQ you will ever need, at least unless you need more channels. A lot of people say you should get a more surgical EQ, but our ears and hearing are not surgical at all, no matter how well your ears are trained. People tend to get too anal sometimes, especially with mastering, but pretty much anything you do with an MP is going to sound musical, which is all that matters.

I like the fact that it's not surgical, because it is self-limiting. Often it is hard to restrain yourself when listening to a piece over and over, because when you do this, a sharp change in brightness or anything really sounds way better than it would just listening to it once fresh.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

I would suggest GML 8200 or Crane Song Ibis.
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejsongs View Post
I think you meant the api 5500...the api 2500 is their compressor

ej
Oops, yep. Meant 5500. Yesterday was a long day! Would pair great with MP.
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citrus Fresh View Post
I second the GML suggestion.

8200 back in production. I love mine. I have Massive passive also.
I would love a GML 8200 but i didn't think they made them anymore. I called GML a bunch of times and nobody ever picked up the phone. I left messages and no one ever got back to me. If you have info on where you can buy them new now i would be very interested. thanks
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by kroegermusic View Post
I would love a GML 8200 but i didn't think they made them anymore. I called GML a bunch of times and nobody ever picked up the phone. I left messages and no one ever got back to me. If you have info on where you can buy them new now i would be very interested. thanks
Hey,

They used to be manufactured by Manley, but production stopped a while ago. Apparently GML are now back up and running again.

It was Doc Mixwell (dsp doctor) on here who mentioned that they were available once more in a thread I started about the gml a few weeks ago.

I actually picked both units (8200 and Massivo) up in China when I lived there, but I normally buy in the UK, so I have no experience of US dealers.

Honestly, the 8200 is unbelievable. Worth every penny.

Cheers

Last edited by Citrus Fresh; 10th October 2015 at 03:31 AM.. Reason: More detail
Old 10th October 2015
Warm Audio's new Pultec clone is simply marvelous sounding. VEry much a chip off the old block. Fantastic for focusing!
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

also, I've been eyeing a pair of isa 110's is of that would be a good choice or not. just a thought
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Another choice would be the hammer by a designs it's very musical . I do things mostly by ear I'm not a engineer first and I find the hammer very easy to use .
Old 10th October 2015
Buzz REQ
Old 10th October 2015
Gml 9500
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanTan View Post
Gml 9500
Hopefully GML starts making those again as well!
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Love my 8200

If you're on the Focusrite vibe the ISA 220 is a steal.

The pre is decent and the comp useable albeit clean, but the EQ is where its at for me. Once you've carved with a 115/215/430 its all kinda in the same ballpark for me.

Wiggy
Old 11th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward Pike View Post
Warm Audio's new Pultec clone is simply marvelous sounding. VEry much a chip off the old block. Fantastic for focusing!
Same experience here.
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Addict

Buzz REQ! Really lovely box
Old 12th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Heimbecker View Post
Buzz REQ! Really lovely box
yeah I've heard nothing but great things about those units
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Great River MAQ-2NV
Old 12th October 2015
Pair of JLM PEQ500
Let Joe know you want them matched for mastering
Old 12th October 2015
Lives for gear

Surprised no one mentioned the API 5500. I have both he Massive and 5500 and think the 5500 is a perfect compliment to the Massive.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search