The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
The big 5 tube condensers perceptions and how do you like to use them
Old 9th October 2015
Lives for gear

The big 5 tube condensers perceptions and how do you like to use them

I been fortunate enough to have used each of these great mics. they all excel in certain areas. But if pushed and If I'd had to pick an absolute favorite it would be the 251.

The upper end sheen along with the warmth, body and huge openness of this mic is something I've haven't heard in any other mic. It just had this natural effortlessesnes and I find it sounds most like the source in the room while still imparting a euphonic hue. Almost how romantic lighting can make even a very accurate photo look better
Vocals and acoustic guitars are two of my favorite sources for this mic

U67
The 67 has this great huge silky yet highly detailed midrange. Like its older brother the U47 it gets that larger than life intimate crooner thing going. Like the 251, it's a highly versatile mic and I love it on vocals guitars. If I had to pick one Neumann for everything I'd proabbaly pick the U67 it's an absolutely incredible mic for most sources

U47
For many this is the male vocal mic and for good reason. I may decide on the 251 over this mic for vocals but it's rarely the case of better but usually just a matter of taste. To put it another way for big warm present in your face vocals nothing betters a good 47. I love it on vocals particularly make but find the mics freaquncy signature is often too pronounced for acoustic instruments that require a more natural perspective.

M49
This mic has that big warm round vintage Neumann thing going in spades but it's smoother then say a 47 yet it's still highly intimate. Think Nora Jones Come away with me intamate yet so smooth.
This mic again can be ideal on certain voices and is lovely as room mics, most acoustic instruments

C12
Beautiful shimmery top end similar to the 251 but a touch less muscular or should I say big and open. The 12 has this upper end lushness: detailed and sweet that can make it a beautiful match for female vocalists not to mention most acoustic instruments.

Anyway those are my little summaries of the big 5 let's hear yours

Last edited by Palermo; 9th October 2015 at 03:09 AM..
Old 9th October 2015
SEED78
Awesome thread idea!
Old 9th October 2015
Gear Addict

I can hear the U47 in spades on Roger Waters voice in 'The Final Cut'.
At least if it's not a U47 I'd be surprised.

Never had much luck using our Flea 47 with females though I may try it in omni mode which will lessen the proximity effect.

IMO 47's have a slight graininess in the mid's which provides a certain presence and boldness to the sound when combined with the 47's big low end.

Definitely a mic for a beefy male voice.

Not typically a successful signature for female vox I find.
Old 9th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palermo View Post
I been fortunate enough to have used each of these great mics. they all excel in certain areas. But if pushed and If I'd had to pick an absolute favorite it would be the 251.

The upper end sheen along with the warmth, body and huge openness of this mic is something I've haven't heard in any other mic. It just had this natural effortlessesnes and I find it sounds most like the source in the room while still imparting a euphonic hue. Almost how romantic lighting can make even a very accurate photo look better
Vocals and acoustic guitars are two of my favorite sources for this mic

U67
The 67 has this great huge silky yet highly detailed midrange. Like its older brother the U47 it gets that larger than life intimate crooner thing going. Like the 251, it's a highly versatile mic and I love it on vocals guitars. If I had to pick one Neumann for everything I'd proabbaly pick the U67 it's an absolutely incredible mic for most sources

U47
For many this is the male vocal mic and for good reason. I may decide on the 251 over this mic for vocals but it's rarely the case of better but usually just a matter of taste. To put it another way for big warm present in your face vocals nothing betters a good 47. I love it on vocals particularly make but find the mics freaquncy signature is often too pronounced for acoustic instruments that require a more natural perspective.

M49
This mic has that big warm round vintage Neumann thing going in spades but it's smoother then say a 47 yet it's still highly intimate. Think Nora Jones Come away with me intamate yet so smooth.
This mic again can be ideal on certain voices and is lovely as room mics, most acoustic instruments

C12
Beautiful shimmery top end similar to the 251 but a touch less muscular or should I say big and open. The 12 has this upper end lushness: detailed and sweet that can make it a beautiful match for female vocalists not to mention most acoustic instruments.

Anyway those are my little summaries of the big 5 let's hear yours
Good summaries. I wouldn't disagree with any of it. I might add that the C12 feels like a bright mic but it's more about it being less muscular below than actually being brighter I think.
Old 10th October 2015
Gear Addict

I think my next mic will be a 251 so for clarification, are you talking about the 251E reissue or the 701k version? I will appreciate if you could elaborate about the sound differences between the 251 versions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search