The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Soundelux u195 or Mojave MA-200 Condenser Microphones
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Soundelux u195 or Mojave MA-200

I've got around $1k to spend. I need the best all around mic in this class for up close male vocals and acoustic guitars. My vocal (the main source I will be recording) is a little on the bright side, and has sort of a Don Henley sound.

My main pre is a UA 2-610 which is pretty colored. I also have a sytek. I will also be using a Distressor in the chain, so I have the colored thing going already. I am leaning toward the u195 for this reason, but I need some input.

Which of these would be my best bet (if there is such a thing)? I'm open to other mics in this range as well.

Thanks.

Last edited by uptoolate; 13th January 2007 at 08:45 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

This 1K price range seems to be pretty open.
i won't bore you with my interpretation and opinion of those two mics. There is a huge selection and you're probably gonna get everybody's favorite mic thrown at you. I suggest two things:

1. do a search. There is a wealth of information here. Most folks here know more than others.

2. Pick a couple from a reputable dealer that will let you take the mic home to your studio and try it out.

Good luck!
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

The 195 is one of my favourite mics... plays right out of its league... Really benefits from a preamp with a bit of iron... second favourite soundelux mic behind the 251... can't imagine you would ever regret having one... Don't know the Mojave...
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I really dislike the 195 on vocals! Check out the Mojave or SM7 or AT 4047
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

yep back to the same old thing with Microphones... has to be matched to the voice. Had a guy at my place this afternoon put a track down on my 251... couldn't help thinking that it was not ideally suited to his voice which was a nice lowish tenor (think Greek Andrea Bochelli...). I haven't heard anything come close to the 251 for my voice and as I said the 195 works really well for me.

Ideally, I think Mics are one of those things where you should stand up a whole heap of candidates in front of the target vocalist. print a track of the same sample phrase for each mic and listen to what works printed.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Addict

I like the Peluso 2247 (and it's not the LE, so that puts in your range) with my UA M610. I have two U195s that are sittin' on the shelf since the Peluso pulled into town.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Would you say the U195 would be better suited to a wider range of sources. Acoustic guitar, EG, Many different vocal types?

Also, I have heard the output is lower than average. Is this a problem?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search