The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I finally have Amphion BaseOne25s!!! Anyone else here using these? Studio Monitors
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Maniac
I finally have Amphion BaseOne25s!!! Anyone else here using these?

Hello Fellow slutz! I thought I'd start a new thread for these since the Amphion-thread IMO is more of a general Amphion talk thread and I'd like to concentrate on the subs here.

I had a brief chance to test the prototypes of the BaseOnes back in May this year. I instantly felt that this was something I wanted to return to, something that for me could be a game changer.

Now when writing this I finally have my own BaseOne25s standing underneath my trusted One18s.
I've had the Bases for a few weeks now and now I can say that at least for me these really are a game changer. My work has become so much easier and faster and what's more important, I mix differently than before. The lowed of my mixes is clearer and punchier, no guessing, no stressing.

I'm finally able to hear the lowest octave of my mixes, the way I haven't before even though I've had subwoofers and speakers that had specs going down to 30Hz or way below. I think the trick here is to really have two so the bottom stays stereo and in phase with the tops.

Mixing with the Bases is way faster and easier than without them. No guessing in the lowest octave. I felt that the One18s produced a reasonable lowed but with the Bases the lowend is more real and (in lack of better words) more alive, I can both hear and feel the low energy, without having to crank my system up loud.

Tracking with the Bases has also been really cool. I felt that One18s could produce enough power to fill my smallish control room but with the BaseOnes the musicians can play in the control room and get the real feel and emotion to their performance. It's also very easy to keep my recordings "clearer". when all the stuff that can be high passed is so easily present.

OK, I have to admit that after these few weeks I'm still having a kind of honeymoon with these. Actually the very first mixes I did with these didn't succeed on the lowed since I was so used to compensating the bass with my ear so at first the lowend felt "too much" (even though it wasn't). But after two days or so, listening to all kinds of music and making the bass response familiar with my ears, I started getting results I haven't been able to reach before.

Anyone else using these here? It would be cool to share experiences, for me this has been something I have dreamed of my whole career (which is like 15 years or so now)…Being able to get the same huge and present bass thump that you can when mixing FOH with a "reasonable" PA…Still of course being a million times more accurate and precise.

This is not a paid commercial, this is just joy of having the best tools I've ever had and working my a*** off with them .

I straggly urge everyone to try these out if you can, You might experience miracles, like I did and do every day now .

-- Mikko
Noise Floor Studios
Old 8th October 2015
Gear Maniac

I can't wait to get mine!!
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Nut

Getting a pair in the beginning of November (to demo, and if I like them I'll buy them). Really cannot wait. A bit worried because my room isn't very big... But extremely excited to hear them with my two18s.

Would love to hear from any other baseone25 users about how you're liking/disliking them
Old 14th October 2015
Gear Nut

Ooh also - did you face the woofers out or in? Did you try it both ways? And if so, what made you settle on how you have them now?
Old 6th November 2016
Here for the gear
We are waiting here For the review !
Old 7th November 2016
Gear Maniac
OK. I've had mine for some time now, enjoy working on them every day. They've translated my mixes to a whole new level since now I hear everything happening in the lowest lows.
I've now been in 2 different control rooms with them (I had to move my studio during last summer) and on both been testing them both ways...I'd say the way you keep them depends on the room, although both times I've ended up the woofers facing outside.

Hope this helps.

-- Mikko
Old 7th November 2016
Gear Maniac

I've got One18's and would really like to go up to Two 18's with Base 25's.
There isn't that much room behind my workstation desk, so I keep the speakers on the the workstation side wings. Would the Base 25's work the same if the speakers weren't sitting on top of them and remained on the workstation? I suppose, like standalone subs?
Old 6th February 2017
Lives for gear

Just got my BaseOne25's for my new Amphion One18 surround setup. My amps are coming next week
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

This thread is now arround 2 years old.
Are the owners still happy?

I've been working with two15s now for 2-3 years and I tend to overdo the low end so I'm wondering if the base would help or if a cheaper solution could be just as good.
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Maniac

I absolutely love the BaseOne25's. Once you've worked with them there's probably no going back. The ability to switch seemlessly between 'near field two-way' to 'three way floor-standers' without changing stereo imaging is incredible. I've worked with a bunch of subs over the years and nothing came close to this solution. There was always a disconnect with a regular sub.

PS - I use them with the One18's. I want to move to the Two18's with BaseOne25 and then the One15's as 'smalls'..
Old 3rd August 2017
Engagement Manager

I've had Two18's for 3 or 4 years and added the Base25's about 18 months ago
Very happy with how the system works and sounds
Old 3rd August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperschool View Post
I've had Two18's for 3 or 4 years and added the Base25's about 18 months ago
Very happy with how the system works and sounds
I'm jealous!

Can't wait to get the same system!
Old 3rd August 2017
Lives for gear

I know those are supposed to sound real natural but can they also give that punch in the chest feeling that one can get with a standard subwoofer?
Sometimes I get carried away when I mix and I realize that a sub system would help me keep it under control while having fun and engagement while I mix.
Old 3rd August 2017
Engagement Manager

If you dial them up above 8 in my room you definitely get a noticeable thump that's more in traditional sub territory
Though being under the monitors and facing out it's obviously a different vibe
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Though being under the monitors and facing out it's obviously a different vibe
I bet! Is the center image still pretty solid in the low end?

My desk is like a sterling mastering desk and my speakers are on each side of the desk, my room is pretty small, would that affect the performance negatively?
Old 4th August 2017
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post

My desk is like a sterling mastering desk and my speakers are on each side of the desk, my room is pretty small, would that affect the performance negatively?
It won't affect the performance negatively. Is the centre image still pretty solid? Yes, indeed!! That's the beauty of the Bases's. The stereo width remains the same with the Bases's engaged, but the stereo image gets noticeably 'deeper'. I attribute this to the bass drivers of the One18's operating more efficiently due to the high pass filter. It's quite a thing when you work with it.
Old 4th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Walsh View Post
It won't affect the performance negatively. Is the centre image still pretty solid? Yes, indeed!! That's the beauty of the Bases's. The stereo width remains the same with the Bases's engaged, but the stereo image gets noticeably 'deeper'. I attribute this to the bass drivers of the One18's operating more efficiently due to the high pass filter. It's quite a thing when you work with it.
That seems pretty nice, Thanks!
Old 8th August 2017
Engagement Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by matskull View Post

Sorry I forgot to repsond
The centre image is still amazing and very solid!
Old 8th August 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry I forgot to repsond
The centre image is still amazing and very solid!
No problem thanks!
Old 16th March 2019
Gear Nut

We just installed them under our two18s last night, first thing we noticed is that the stereo field of the highs and mids narrowed a bit it with the baseone25s engaged, might be the two18s are not working as hard and pushing out all the low information maybe?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search