The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SCM20ASL MK II, enough bass? Studio Monitors
Old 7th October 2015
ATC SCM20ASL MK II - enough bass?

Will the ATC SCM20ASL MK II deliver enough bass on their own?

The specs are as follow:

•Amplitude linearity : 80Hz – 20kHz (+/-2dB)
•Cut-off frequencies : 55Hz – 25kHz (-6dB freestanding)

I'll be using them freestanding in a 16' x 15' control room. I'm not a fan of boomy speakers by any means, but I like to hear what's happening down there. -2 at 80hz ?? Is that enough??

Compared to similar sized ported speakers (that often goes down to ~ 45 hz), how will they perform?

Last edited by DavidChampoux; 7th October 2015 at 04:16 PM..
Old 11th October 2015
Bump! Any opinions??
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Enough bass is a very subjective thing and also heavily room dependent.
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Yes, enough bass for what I need, but you may want a subwoofer if you really want that bottom octave to have some presence. It's audible on the 20s, but you're not going to shake the windows with it.
Old 11th October 2015
Interesting.

I don't like separate subwoofers. The picture is just never there for me...

How do they compare to let's say to ProAc Studio 100, in the bass range?
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

Very different - much deeper and more extended than ProAcs, which I've always thought had that 'small ported box' sound going on. ProAcs will produce bass in larger quantities, but it's no way near as good as the bass from the SCM20s.

Subs are normally a nightmare because they can't be integrated easily with a ported speaker. The roll-off of the SCM20 is very much like a simple electronic high pass filter, so setting them up to roll off seamlessly into a subwoofer (or subwoofers) is much much easier than you'd expect.
Old 13th October 2015
Lives for gear

This might be of some help. It very much depends on what you're using them for. Properly set up and positioned, they deliver the ATC balance of sound that so many of us find addicting. Truthful in a musical way is about the best description I can offer with a very low fatigue factor. Every bit of bass response they offer is truthful and useable. But they are not wildly extended at the bottom. If you need the last fundamentals of a pipe organ pedalboard, the 20s will not deliver it. But what they're able to tell you will allow you to make intelligent choices. A properly positioned and well-integrated sub will extend their range further. BUT if you're involved in a genre that demands high energy punchy bass (like EDM, for example), another speaker may be more suitable. There are plenty of choices that may work well for you in that case. But the ATC line as a whole is about the most pleasant way to mix that I've yet found.

Hope this is of some value in your situation.
Old 13th October 2015
Thanks for the replies, guys! Some nice info here...

I would use the 20s mostly for recording/mixing/mastering acoustic stuff. I already own a pair of Tannoy System 15 DMT II, so I can check the lower octave on them.

Nowaday, I always work between 55 to 70 dba in my control room, not more... Would the 20s perform accurately in that range?
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
Nowaday, I always work between 55 to 70 dba in my control room, not more... Would the 20s perform accurately in that range?
It depends on your room and listening distance (obviously), but I've regularly used mine at higher levels than that when tracking with absolutely no issues whatsoever (except that I just find it too damn loud).

I have to really go for it to get the limit indicators to flash in most of the rooms I've been in...
Old 6th November 2015
Just received my brand new in sealed box ATC SCM20 ASL MKII...

Great tone... Nice 'truth'. They are what I was expecting, soundwise. They are bigger and heavier than I thought, from the pictures. Looks and feel sturdy!

However...

- One produces a fairly audible mecanic 60hz hum on the left side. Loose power transformer??

- The other one produces some distorsion when playing a pure 50hz to 70hz sine wave at moderate volume (70-80 dba). It's not really audible through program material, but it's clearly there with a sine wave.

Both boxes were factory sealed and in good physical condition.

Quality control problem???
Old 7th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:

Great tone... Nice 'truth'. They are what I was expecting, soundwise. They are bigger and heavier than I thought, from the pictures. Looks and feel sturdy!

However...

- One produces a fairly audible mecanic 60hz hum on the left side. Loose power transformer??

- The other one produces some distorsion when playing a pure 50hz to 70hz sine wave at moderate volume (70-80 dba). It's not really audible through program material, but it's clearly there with a sine wave.

check if the screws of the drivers on the front are still tight.
Old 7th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rici View Post
check if the screws of the drivers on the front are still tight.

Thanks for the suggestion! I checked, and all screws were surprisingly loose, on the 2 speakers! It considerably reduced the distortion, but it's still there a bit...

Is there a reason why ATC tight those screws so lightly? Or is due to vibrations in the transport?

The mechanical hum/buzz is still there though, and is intermittent. Strange. It's not there when I power ON the speaker. It only appears after a few minutes, and when audio has been played at a moderate volume.
Old 7th November 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion! I checked, and all screws were surprisingly loose, on the 2 speakers! It considerably reduced the distortion, but it's still there a bit...

Is there a reason why ATC tight those screws so lightly? Or is due to vibrations in the transport?

The mechanical hum/buzz is still there though, and is intermittent. Strange. It's not there when I power ON the speaker. It only appears after a few minutes, and when audio has been played at a moderate volume.
very welcome!
maybe both
the mid/low drivers should be tight.
tweeters sounds often better when you tighten it and than loosen it just a little bit. don't ask me why but this works on some speakers quite well!

don't know why it happen only after a while. did you check the screws on the amps? maybe it has to do with temperature. just a guess ...
Old 9th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:

However...

Dear David,

I'm sorry to hear you have problems with your new SCM20ASL Pro.

The problems could be due to the driver and transformer working loose in transit but based on comments from other forum members you've probably checked both by now?

Please also check the fixing of the front baffle onto the cabinet and that the amp module is securely fixed into the rear of the cabinet. Both these may be sources of the 50-70Hz distortion (air leak).

Your supplier will be able to help you further. Whatever happens, we'll ensure you are taken care of and the problem is resolved as quickly as possible.

Kind Regards,

Ben Lilly
ATC.
Old 9th November 2015
Hi Ben, and thanks for your reply! Very appreciated! I just sent you an email...

Best regards,
David C.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search