The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Owners of the SSL Xlogic Alpha MADI AX, some questions...
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

Owners of the SSL Xlogic Alpha MADI AX, some questions...

Hey all... I will probably go for one of this cool new SSL converters with a RME MADI card. I'm mixing actually ITB with Nuendo and want to use some outboard Comp/FX... I just want to be sure I understand exactly...

With this config (sorry I'm new to MADI), it makes me an 24 channel ADDA 24/96, using only a MADI cable in the RME card ?

If yes, the MADI is supposed to carry 32 channels at 24/96, the 24 analogues I/O will always be affected to the first 24 channels of MADI ?

And if yes, can I use the ADAT INs to use the 8 left channels ?

Last but not least, what do you think of the sound of theses converters ? Any of you had a chance to compare with some other standards boxes (apogee, mytek, etc...) ?

Thanx in advance.
Old 13th January 2007
Solid State Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaNeT View Post

With this config (sorry I'm new to MADI), it makes me an 24 channel ADDA 24/96, using only a MADI cable in the RME card ?

If yes, the MADI is supposed to carry 32 channels at 24/96, the 24 analogues I/O will always be affected to the first 24 channels of MADI ?

And if yes, can I use the ADAT INs to use the 8 left channels ?
Yes, yes, and yes to the above.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Nice!
Are these shipping inside europe yet?
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Yes, yes, and yes to the above.
Thanx a lot ! Going to buy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley View Post
Nice!
Are these shipping inside europe yet?
http://www.playback-europe.com/ssl-x..._ax-12334.html
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm actually considering a similar setup for my Powermac G5:

An RME MADI card, with an SSL AlphaLink with MADI, AES and analog I/O.

This would give me 24 analog I/O AND 24 I/O on AES at once from/to computer, as you simply can configure the Alpha-Link as a MADI to analog & AES convertor.

Or when you choose the model with ADAT, you'd have a MADI to analog & ADAT convertor, giving you up to 48 physical I/O at once for your computer with MADI card as well
Old 13th January 2007
High End Moderator

Haven't done an in depth checkout of the sound yet, but the Alpha link seems to be a great box for DAW I/O. I love the MADI protocol, my whole studio is built around it. I have two MADI cards in my Nuendo computer and I just love assigning an output and there are 128 available. The Alphalink has the first 24 I/O assigned to AES and the second 24 to analog I/O. Not yet sure where the other 16 go.

Can't wait to check the sound of the converters, but that will have to wait a while (NAMM etc.), even though I'm sure SSL would not put their name on something that isn't first class. Looks like a great system.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Nut

I have been using the Delta Link MADI and Alpha-Link MADI AX for about two weeks now. I have 48 I/O running into PT HD directly. It is quite amazing and has worked flawlessly so far.

The Alpha-link has 24 analog I/O as well as 24 lightpipe I/O (which I have connected my RADAR NYQUIST converters to) and all will run simultaneously WITHOUT any PT interface!

In addition, they sound great! I have compared to my myteks, Radar Nyquist, UA 2192 (which is truly amazing to me), Apogees, 192's, and the new API A2D. They are much better than the 192's (which I have never liked). They are neutral, clean, and quiet. They don't have quite the fatness in the bottom-end that the Radar or UA 2192 have (which I think these two are slightly exaggerated in the bottom end anyway), and the top-end is probably a little more clean and precise.

For my facility, they are a wonderful purchase and a great way to avoid purchasing anymore Digidesign junk. I will purchase several more units for my other rooms.

Glenn A Tabor III
www.gat3.com
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Head

How do you like them compared to your Apogees and which model do you have? Would you say that are in the same ballpark quality wise (in other words, does it get you out of the "it's hurting my brain" digital realm)?
Old 12th April 2008
Gear Nut

Any more thoughts on these converters?

On a slight tangent, since SSL have been bought out in '05, do you think they changed their target customer demographic? More mass appeal, or still high end state of the art?

I don't doubt they're good products (I don't know either way), but just interesting to ask people because sometimes companies can change after being bought, especially when they weren't doing that well previously...
Old 8th March 2014
Here for the gear

saw this post from awhile ago and was wondering.....are these converters still considered any good? i mean in comparison to the anteloupe orion or the Avid HDIO's?
Old 9th March 2014
Yes they are still great converters. I have upgraded to myteks and the ssl mx series but still think the ax is a great box
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have a pair, and use them all day everyday. They are wonderfully neutral sounding. Still better than anything Avid offers, can't comment on the Orion. Shot them out against Lynx and Apogee before I bought them. I'm very happy with them.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

yeah...im not too quick to purchase anything from Avid anymore. Not only cuz they suck but because customer service is such a bitch. Im leaning towards the Lynx but really love the Orion.
Old 12th March 2014
Here for the gear

I upgraded from RME to SSL MADI AX about 3 years ago. I have had great results with this box. I use the 24 analogue in/outs for recording and mixing and the digital outs for headphone distribution while tracking. Excellent sonics and affordable.
Old 2nd June 2015
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieblud View Post
I upgraded from RME to SSL MADI AX about 3 years ago. I have had great results with this box. I use the 24 analogue in/outs for recording and mixing and the digital outs for headphone distribution while tracking. Excellent sonics and affordable.
@ jamieblud - Can you explain how you're using the digital outs for headphone mixes?
Old 2nd June 2015
Here for the gear

Hey Roy,

I use Cubase 8 pro and set up 8 aux sends that are routed to the digital outs of my SSL MADI. The Digital outs (on mine they are ADAT) are then routed to my headphone distribution device (Behringer Powerplay 16--the only thing I have ever purchsed form them that I have been totally satisfied with). I record at 24/88.2 which limits the number of ADAT outs I can use. It works really well.
Old 2nd June 2015
Gear Addict
What's the missing element between the MADI output and the P16?

And is there any latency when tracking? Are you using OS X or Win?
Old 2nd June 2015
Gear Addict
Oops, I did some more reading and saw that the P16 has a hardware device that rec'vs ADAT.

What's the latency like?
Old 3rd June 2015
Here for the gear

I am using windows 7. I use an RME PCI MADI card. I can get latency down to about 2 to 3ms in most cases. If latency becomes a problem or I want to have more outputs to the P-16, I have the P-16 analogue ins wired to my patch bay and then route analogue outs to the P-16 and do direct monitoring off the RME card. That has zero latency, though a bit of a hassle to do all the patching.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search