The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Peluso Ribbon Mic vs Royer Ribbon
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Peluso Ribbon Mic vs Royer Ribbon

Ok, quick one here guys. I wanna make the jump to buying a ribbon mic.
Any opinions here of anyone who has tried both the Peluso & Royer ribbons? I need some working knowledge on what, if which is BETTER or if they're just different.

Also, any particular preamps that work well with these?

JTLYK, the preamps at my disposal are Ridge Farm Gas Cookers, Millennia HV3, True P Solo and UA LA610.

I also have a Ridge Farm Boiler....how well do Ribbon mic signals like compression?

LET THE POSTS BEGIN................
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

i have tried alot of ribbon's and by far my fav is the aea r84... That's what I'd get, but the royer and peluso are both nice...Out of the two, the royer is classic.

I've never heard of the ridge farms, but the milennia and la610 will handle them nice.

After you record the signal it's like any other signal. takes compression no different than any other mic in my opinion.

I use my r84's as stereo room mics and i nuke them with the distressor and it sounds marvelous, very very smooth
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had a Peluso before I sold it to buy a Royer. The Peluso had too much low-end due to the more pronounced proximity effect for my purposes. I bought it to close mic a guitar cab and it didn't work without a good bit of roll-off of the lows. The Royer sounded great with no EQ. I was able to get the Peluso to sound good wiith EQ though, so the choice is up to you. I prefer the flatter sound of the Royer and got a good deal on one.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRock101 View Post
Also, any particular preamps that work well with these?
howzaboutthat?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search