The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
I just realized I've owned nearly ever U47 recreation.Thoughts.
Old 15th December 2015
Gear Maniac

Next or Original Flea 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lugo View Post
So over the past 15 years I have owned a Telefunken 47, Wunder CM-7. Wagner 47 and have used an array of vintage Neumann 47 and even a Lawson L47 and now I own a Flea 47. I had the Telefunken for the past year or so but sold it mainly to help fund my move to Nashville. When I got here to Nashville I started working with some clients and producers and had a chance to hear the vocal sounds they were getting and my 87 just wasn't what I wanted anymore, just not the thing for the direction I am going. So I spent a day down at Vintage King here and sang into everything against my 87. There were a number of nice mics but the Flea just kept sounding right to my ears and the vision I had. Needless to say I took one home 2 weeks ago and have used it everyday since on vocals and acoustic guitar demos with probably 12 different artists, male & female, pop, rock and country and man the mic is incredible. Funny thing is twice before when looking at 47 mics to buy I no opportunity to try a Flea and could only hear some clips and honestly felt it wasn't dark enough for my taste. The weird thing is I was totally right it's more open and modern sounding then the Tele but that's what I love. It just sounds huge, open, balanced, elegant. Honestly I think it's the best sounding and most useful mic I have ever used. Of what I owned it reminds me most of the Wagner. Anyway, I just thought I'd give a shout out and a testimony especially since I've kind of always slighted Flea. But man it's a killer mic. If I had the dough I'd get a second one.
Jim, did you go for the Next version (cardioid only) or the original (selectable polar patterns) there is about a $1000 difference in price..
Old 15th December 2015
So it's not a 47 clone but I've been incredibly impressed with the schoeps v4 u. And it's a small diaphragm microphone yet it sounds a lot like a large diaphragm and I preferred it on vocals for lots of singers.
Old 16th December 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1960strat View Post
Jim, did you go for the Next version (cardioid only) or the original (selectable polar patterns) there is about a $1000 difference in price..
I got the full version:
Flea 47 with EF12 Tube Condensor Mic

James
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowmat View Post
We found the Mercury V72 with our Flea 47 provides the most retro 47 style tone out of all of our current pre's.
The V72 thickens the lows a little more and smooths out the highs.
The V76 has a more even response and is less dark but still sweet.
I would choose V72 over M72 any time. IMO M72 sounds like wanna be vintage. It doesn't has the silky highs or midrange richness, not to mention the vintage overall character of V72. Simply, no comparison to real V72, sorry.

If you enjoy V72 style pre you should then hear V41 (a godfather of V72...).

Main vocals Cm7>V41>U73b/U273>Klangfilm EQ 062b>2192/B2/MADA-2a= Pure heaven

I wish I had real U47 but the prices and tubes doesn't make sense for me anymore.

I'm waiting a friend to buy Flea to make a shootout Flea vs Wunder.
Old 18th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
Interesting. I had understood that Soyuz' aim with the SU-017 was to create a modern re-imagining of the U67, and some have opined that they have succeeded in that.

From your reference to C12 mics, I take it that you are hearing the SU-017 as more open and forward in the upper registers than those reports suggest?
The Soyuz I have here on demo sounds far more like a great U67 with that classy, mid forward thing. In fact it sounds better than any U67 I've ever heard.
Side by side it doesn't bear any immediate resemblance to the C12 as it doesn't have that rich, scooped brightness.
It doesn't sound anything like a U47 either. It's it's own thing. It's deep.

An incredible microphone, built like a brass tank.

I want to keep it.....
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

I have a pair of mint Andreas Grosser U 47´s for sale.
Old 19th December 2015
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
I don't know personally anybody in europe owning Tele
There are 4 Tele 47s at Clouds Hill Recordings Studio in Hamburg for example.
Old 21st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp View Post
There are 4 Tele 47s at Clouds Hill Recordings Studio in Hamburg for example.
The US ones?
Old 22nd December 2015
Trp
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloff View Post
The US ones?
Yes
Old 22nd December 2015
Lives for gear

So now only to arrange to have all these mics together

Last edited by carloff; 22nd December 2015 at 12:38 AM..
Old 23rd December 2015
Gear Head

We love Flea Microphones

I just realized I've owned nearly ever U47 recreation.Thoughts.-10680042_963103603706785_4900748087860860918_o.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
I just realized I've owned nearly ever U47 recreation.Thoughts.-10680042_963103603706785_4900748087860860918_o.jpg  
Old 23rd December 2015
Lives for gear

I used to have access to Wunder number 69 and it was freaking awesome... best 47 I've heard no doubt.. and not just beacuse of the number!!!

If i was looking agaoin the FLEA was pretty damn special that i heard from Funky Junk in London.

Wiggy
Old 24th December 2015
Lives for gear

47 + v72 to tape does "For No One" perfectly ..not to mention a hundred other things.
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear
I have a flea 47 "next" mic and it is just perfect. May not always be the 1st choice but its almost always a great choice. The flea 49 is an incredible mic as well which is more a solid and fuller sound (less scooped sounding) but with amazing clarity at the same time.
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonetom View Post
Love the way he is supporting the head as you would when holding a baby. We really do take this stuff so seriously.

I have been upgraded to gear addict, when I originally signed up as gear interested.

And my last girlfriend used to take the p, by reading out gearsl.. posts in a husky and almost climaxing voice when she wanted my attention.

See why it ended: she sounded more fake excited when reading Gearsl... out loud than when getting down and dirty with me

Obviously my bedroom talents are commensurate with my musical ones

Ahhhh...Gearsl...

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
Old 10th January 2016
Gear Addict

Last week tracked a female vox...

Flea 47 > Mercury Audio V76m preamp > 1176 > DAW

Mixed...

DAW > JLM 500A Opto Compressor > Heritage Audio 8173 EQ

Yum!

I just realized I've owned nearly ever U47 recreation.Thoughts.-image.jpg
Old 11th January 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud View Post
Love the way he is supporting the head as you would when holding a baby. We really do take this stuff so seriously.

I have been upgraded to gear addict, when I originally signed up as gear interested.

And my last girlfriend used to take the p, by reading out gearsl.. posts in a husky and almost climaxing voice when she wanted my attention.

See why it ended: she sounded more fake excited when reading Gearsl... out loud than when getting down and dirty with me

Obviously my bedroom talents are commensurate with my musical ones

Ahhhh...Gearsl...

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
There's nothing warming the crown jewels, yet he thinks he's ready for Vegas.
Old 11th January 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyonetom View Post
There's nothing warming the crown jewels, yet he thinks he's ready for Vegas.
Hehe

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
Old 11th January 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud View Post
Hi, well I was referring to...
I guess I should have hung out with the right people more. Not all of them had U47s (going back on topic).

Maybe I will, when I get roundtoit. Or opportunity knocks Or they are kind enough to endulge me. Or when I have something worth recording and making a hullabaloo about

Pretty much everybody (except me) have U87s though.

Peace.

(c) 2016 Claud
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_G View Post
The Soyuz I have here on demo sounds far more like a great U67 with that classy, mid forward thing. In fact it sounds better than any U67 I've ever heard.
Side by side it doesn't bear any immediate resemblance to the C12 as it doesn't have that rich, scooped brightness.
It doesn't sound anything like a U47 either. It's it's own thing. It's deep.

An incredible microphone, built like a brass tank.

I want to keep it.....

Hi Paul, curious if you landed up keeping the Soyuz?

I've been considering giving it a listen for 67 territory & basically an all around-er ldc.
That said, also interested in the Bock 407 as well, though of course 47'ish & considerably more $.
Old 17th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet.d View Post
Hi Paul, curious if you landed up keeping the Soyuz?

I've been considering giving it a listen for 67 territory & basically an all around-er ldc.
That said, also interested in the Bock 407 as well, though of course 47'ish & considerably more $.
Sadly I had to send the demo one I had onwards but I will be getting at least one in the near future for the new studio....

The Horch RMJ2 is well worth a listen in that classic LDC territory too.
Old 17th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcsteene View Post
So it's not a 47 clone but I've been incredibly impressed with the schoeps v4 u. And it's a small diaphragm microphone yet it sounds a lot like a large diaphragm and I preferred it on vocals for lots of singers.
I'd love to try the V4U.
But as for Fleas, I've had a Flea Vintage 47 and 49 for a while and just added the 12 to my studio about a week ago. Like other happy Flea owners, I can't say enough good things about these mics. Any of these mics is a great studio tool and, for my needs, thru the Fearn VT1/VT7, is pretty hard to beat.
Old 1st September 2016
Here for the gear

Soyuz 017 beats every other mic I've ever had in my studio by some distance (including my vintage U87, various Josephsons, Mikteks, BeezNeeses etc etc).
Love it!!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search