The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Underwhelmed by AES
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

Underwhelmed by AES

Anybody feel differently? What did you see that piqued your interest?
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

That large breasted blond at the booth Slash was signing autographs - peaked my interest quite a lot.

rollz heh :eek:
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bassmac
That large breasted blond at the booth Slash was signing autographs - peaked my interest quite a lot.

rollz heh :eek:
that would've been the gibson booth...not that i noticed.rollz
Old 7th October 2002
Lives for gear

The "I Am MIXERMAN" buttons, the 2016 reissue, McDSP, Protools for OS X, the water hologram thingy, Crane Song, and the lack of a bunch of Full Sail dorks walking around (at least, none that I saw on Sunday)...

It's always cool to meet cool folks like Dave Hill, Colin McDowell, and the like... I might make it back because I got there late due to session work, but it wasn't anything to drop my pants over.
Old 7th October 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
The "I Am MIXERMAN" buttons
Damn, I almost fell out of my chair picturing that one. It's all fun and games until they start crucfying engineers, though.

Bear
Old 8th October 2002
How much is an Eventide 2016 when you can find them?
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

underwhelmed by AES....

The most exciting products were at the booths belonging to the smaller companies. My pick for today is the new ribbon mic from AEA. Not the 78 that many of us already knew about (77 clone) but rather the 84. Its a 77 shaped body with the much larger ribbon from the AEA 44 style mic; a two inch (!) ribbon in a 77 style body for $995!

This is less than 1/2 the price of the 77/78 and 44 replica mics. I was told that the exacting body metalwork and finishing is almost half the cost of the RCA clone mics, so the greatly simplified packaging of the 84 model (still very handsome) allows for a huge price reduction. Check it out for yourself, its supposed to be up on their website by now.

steve
[email protected]
Old 8th October 2002
Try www.princetondigital.com. I am waiting on a price.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
How much is an Eventide 2016 when you can find them?
Old 8th October 2002
Lives for gear

The SPL mastering console looks cool...the UA mic pre/1176...API 8200 mixer...the Gibson Girl
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

Damn, I didn't see the "I'm MM" Buttons at the Phoenix booth. Well, I saw the jar of buttons, but didn't look at them, thought they were just normal promo buttons. Damn.

Studer Vista 7 Console. Ok, I'm not into Digital Consoles, but this thing was like being on the bridge of the Enterprise (as in Star Trek the next Gen.). Talk about the "Wow" factor...those touch sensitive screens from one end of the board to the other, in multiple colors, it really looked trick, I couldn't stop playing with them.
If they could combine a Neve VR with this Studer digital Interface (signal all analog but under all digital control), that would be board heaven for me.

In my dreams

Fleaman
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

But yeah, essentially didn't get a hard on this year.

What was interesting was how small the Mackie and Alesis booths became. Gone was the stage for Alesis and Mackie basically had a small cubical along the wall (IIRC), essentially a
no show for them (no mixers, speakers, etc.).

Fleaman.
Old 10th October 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue

The "I Am MIXERMAN" buttons.
Did you see the; "I Am NOT Mixer Man; THANK GOD!!" buttons that TLA and CLA were wearing? dfegad grggt heh
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

the mackie booth was an afterthought...which was obvious..they shoulda taken a corner of the EAW booth.
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

The absence of MOTU and Apple/Emagic .The beauty of the API Legacy . TelefunkenUSA . Royer 121 were on all over the show . I thought the show would be bigger .
Old 10th October 2002
Lives for gear

at least you guys were there ....
Old 11th October 2002
Moderator emeritus

Well, I was there for the back half of the show. It means that I'm back in Nashville today and not completely worn out...
Old 11th October 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Volodia
The absence of MOTU and Apple/Emagic .

I walked around that mofo 4 times looking for a Emagic stand. How curious that they didn't show.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search