The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Time to sell all my high end to buy atc :)
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpr3 View Post
I don't know man. I just looked at the first two pics again from Post #1 and there is so much wrong there visually I can already sense that your room amplitude is pushing hard against these big monitors regardless of near field use.

Ignoring for a moment the giant piece of glass that is spanning tweeter to tweeter and angled right into your head, there is no visual indication of bass trapping in the front corners which as I am sure you know is where the majority of the bass energy builds up unless you have cardioid woofers which the ATC does not.

Also the speakers are surprisingly close (1-2' ?) to the front drywall, especially as you reveal the rooms larger size. At 16' x 20' I suspect the room has a potentially better acoustic orientation.

The front wall of your room looks very live, and the treatment that does come into view is meager in both shape and depth for that much acoustic energy coming off these powerful monitors. I am sure more pictures of your room could set me straight here (particularly if they showed that your side walls were angled a bit out of parallel), but the front wall alone is already an indication of trouble.

Just being honest here - I think you could dramatically improve upon the sound you are already getting by treating your room further. These beautiful monitors deserve it!

i accept this post because honestly.. it was real, upfront with the issues provided. It didn't jump the gun and pretend it knew what to state without all facts...

Regardless.. I appreciate the comments. I really do. I also feel that your opinions are valid and on point. Kuddos..

Let me express this ONE LAST TIME. As this will be my last post on this thread..

I have never stated my room was perfectly sound. I have only voiced my opinion that I was content and happy with where I am now with my setup acoustically. The thing that brought me here was NOT to get people razzled up about treated rooms. It was to talk about where we were in the ITB realm...and if with superb speakers it made more sense to spend the money on great listening speakers or great vibe induced gear. That is all.

Going back a little, I had a fantastic treated sound control room for 7 years. It was truly special and I spent a lot of time and had some special people involved to get it to that level. (the real deal) If anyone followed what I was doing this time last year, I was wrapping up the closing of my studio. I lived through some really great sonically pleasing records and had to close the doors to a very nice studio in January.

I've been a mixer here in Los Angeles now for 8 months and I have been involved in many commercially successful projects. Where do I mix now? I mix in my workspace downtown la in a loft. again, Is it perfectly sound? I doubt it. Am I happy with my speakers? No. Am i getting positive feedback with the work I do here? YOU BETCH YA.

I have gotten to a place where I understand exactly what is going on with my room here. It might not at all be up to a standard for you fellows that want perfect waterfall graphs... But I have nailed every mix i've done here in the last 7 months. Why? again, because I know the faults of my work space... and I know how to critically listen. Something that seems to be lost these days. I am at a place that I feel I would be going backwards fixing the small little issues I hear. I have learned the problem, (like any room no matter what) and I have moved on.

Now why would I consider getting a pair of expensive monitors to only get in trouble later? Thats a good question. Because I wanted to see if the ATC's in my room would present me with killer results with the room..as is. I dont like the sound of my focals.. not sure how many times I have to say that. They aren't enjoyable to mix on anymore. I am ready to move a head and really enjoy what I hear. Are the focal twins bad speakers? no way. Would I enjoy my job more on speakers i really love. YOU BETCHA.

I've hit two home runs last week on mixes with the ATCs and am moving forward.

Will I buy the ATCs? Im really considering it. Will I sell my gear? Im really not sure.. I have to determine what gives me, in my professional career and ego the best I can get. FOR ME.

I really appreciate all the support and all the replys. Im not a guy that likes to get all into peoples faces. So i apologize if I did. The one thing I can't stand for is people that are knows it alls. That respond outside of facts. That truly is the biggest problem here on gearslutz.

Thank you again... and please feel free to knock me down!! hahaha... It wouldnt be gearslutz without that!

signing off and closing this topic on my end

Last edited by 7+1; 16th October 2015 at 09:46 AM..
Old 16th October 2015
mpr
Lives for gear

Good post 7+1. You seem like an experienced mix engineer who's constantly learning no matter what he may think he already knows, and I respect that!

All said, you've inspired me to take a close listen to these new ATCs and see if they interact with me and my room in a way that could make me a better mixer - and perhaps also be enjoyable to work on at the same time.

It never ends...
Old 16th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7+1 View Post
I have gotten to a place where I understand exactly what is going on with my room here. It might not at all be up to a standard for you fellows that want perfect waterfall graphs... But I have nailed every mix i've done here in the last 7 months.
That's HUGE!
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
again, Is it perfectly sound? I doubt it. Am I happy with my speakers? No. Am i getting positive feedback with the work I do here? YOU BETCH YA.

I have gotten to a place where I understand exactly what is going on with my room here. It might not at all be up to a standard for you fellows that want perfect waterfall graphs... But I have nailed every mix i've done here in the last 7 months. Why? again, because I know the faults of my work space... and I know how to critically listen.
May I just add, be careful when gambling with this achievement. You may not like your current speakers but how long will it take until you return to the point where you are now when changing them for something allegedly better...
Do not sell your old speakers and keep them as a backup until you really learned the new ones. Otherwise, all the best!
Old 16th October 2015
Lives for gear

the atc's are so much better than those focals it's not even funny. but i bet the op could make an upgrade without breaking the bank .. selling a bunch of stuff to finance a new purchase .. sounds depressing.
Old 11th December 2015
Gear Head

and?

Quote:
hmmmmmmmmm.....

im in big trouble.

Demoing now.
what's your opinion having demo'd them?
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Dude you should treat your room more

Hahahahahahaha
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalkinghead View Post
Dude you should treat your room more

Hahahahahahaha
was this directed at me?
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
was this directed at me?
How wonderful to have an old thread resurrected with a simple snide comment. Awesome! GearSlutz, you never let me down! LOL.......

As long as anyone knows their room, and their monitors you can adjust to anything. We have all done it whether intentionally or not...at least we have if we were trying to constantly improve what we do.

7+1, how are you enjoying the ATCs?
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

theyre really enjoyable and fun speakers. I'm very happy.

And if anyone is in los Angeles that cares to come by my room and listen to them I'd be happy to show them.
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Would really love to hear them in person. Might have to wait until NAMM next year to be in the area but I may take you up on that!
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoxxx View Post
How wonderful to have an old thread resurrected with a simple snide comment. Awesome! GearSlutz, you never let me down! LOL.......
I think thetalkinghead was being sarcastic....being that everyone was piling on the 'you should treat your room' comments.

The inflection was probably lost in a forum post...
Old 7th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
theyre really enjoyable and fun speakers. I'm very happy.
Best monitor review ever

I'm not kidding, if you have to listen for 8-18h a day it shouldn't be a chore. Always loved ATCs, not just because they sound very similar across the range, and from room to room, and with different placement, but because I enjoy listening through them. Kinda feels like a kindly professor walking you through the track casually pointing out areas you might want to improve, rather than someone screaming every fault at you while rapping your forehead with a steel rule (yup - NS10s )
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
I think thetalkinghead was being sarcastic....being that everyone was piling on the 'you should treat your room' comments.

That was pretty much what I thought! I figured it was tongue in cheek, so was my response!
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumbergh View Post
Best monitor review ever

Kinda feels like a kindly professor walking you through the track casually pointing out areas you might want to improve, rather than someone screaming every fault at you while rapping your forehead with a steel rule (yup - NS10s )
That has got to be one of the best descriptions of an NS10 ever!!! OMG...LOL.....
Old 8th June 2016
Lives for gear

Old 9th June 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post

Glad someone understood. Hence the hahahahahahaha

But seriously... I love my ATCs. I moved up to the 45s and I'm really happy with them. One thing I've found is that the tweeters need to break in for a bit. Both my old 25s and new 45s started out a little bright and then pretty quickly settled in.

I tried Amphion one18s and liked them a lot too. But they're a totally different speaker. I know a few people who switched from ATCs to Amphions and they like the Amphions more. Not me. The Amphions are more "real world" and they make you work really hard and possibly do translate better off the bat. But I just enjoy working on ATCs so much more. And once you learn them, they translate really well. I do however plan on getting Amphions again as a B pair... I couldn't justify keeping them because of how much money they were with the amp and cables. But soon I wanna get the one15s with the cheaper amp to replace my ns10s. I've never heard a more useful combination than ATCs and Amphions. They are so different and show such different windows into a mix. If I could only have one its ATC by far, but man the Amphions make a great second pair.

ATCs rule
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search