The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why no makeup gain on the Manley Voxbox? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 18th September 2015
Why no makeup gain on the Manley Voxbox?

When you use compression or the limiter on the
Voxbox there is no make up gain knob. This does not make sense to me. Anyone know why they did not include this feature? Most channels strips like the Avalon 737, Pendulum, and even the Manley Core have a make up gain.

So in reality you are reducing the stronger signal but not increasing the quieter signal like most compressors.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

I don't own one, but I do believe the compressor circuit comes before the mic gain, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 19th September 2015
Ok but does that mean you can't add a make up gain control later?

With the Manley ELOP having a gain make up (which the Voxbox ELOP lacks) I am thinking it would offer more character and better control that what the VB has to offer.

Still thinking about purchasing a ELOP or new UA LA2-A. I usually record my bass guitar with DI and separate channel for the a mic on the bass amp. If I had the Manley, I could use the two channels it offers for both signals. Same for recording an acoustic guitar with X/Y. Could not do that with the LA2-A but I am concerned I might be missing some magic character it offers.

Last edited by Jason rocks; 19th September 2015 at 03:05 PM..
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

no it means that the mic gain effectively becomes the make up gain, but please take this information with a grain o salt, hopefully someone else can jump in to verify.

the elop certainly is very cool, but it doesn't offer much in terms of control, it's vey much of the set and forget variety. classic opto sound, nice tube vibe. you can't go wrong with it.
Old 19th September 2015
Comparing a stand alone Elop to a Voxbox is a bit of apples to oranges. The Voxbox also has an additional 3:1 opto comp with more control than the Elop does. The UA reissue La2a is more colored than an Elop. Is this 'magic'? Not really, it's just different. Not only in tone between the two, but the Elop is generally a bit faster than an La2a. If you run an entire signal through a Voxbox from line in front to end, utilizing the transformer output, it can get as colored or more than only an La2a by itself. For all the things you get in one box (preamp, Pultec style EQ, 3:1 opto comp, 10: elop [or deesser]), it's a stellar deal. If you mostly do mono tracks, then I'd recommend it over the stereo elop or mono La-2a just for sheer versatility.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

the optical circuit on the vox box puts the tube compression ahead of the amplifier.... so you are driving into tube compression and then another tube amplifier is gaining it up.
Old 20th September 2015
Thanks for your replies; I think I understand about the Voxbox a little more. I use the Portico pre's a lot and would like to use possibly the ELOP for vocals, bass, and acoustic guitars. At some point will need to listen to a LA2-A in person side by side with the ELOP.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search