The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Adam S2A vs. S2.5A Studio Monitors
Old 11th January 2007
Lives for gear

Adam S2A vs. S2.5A

Anyone have a chance to A/B these two side to side? From what I can tell the only difference is the size of the woofer. Both look like they have the same power ratings and amplifiers.
Anyone who has heard these two, can you please share your thoughts?
thanks....
Old 12th January 2007
Lives for gear

single bump then oblivion
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Nut

I had the s2.5a but for me the bass response wasn't enough... the genelec 8050 are much better... the tweeter is total different...
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankdoc View Post
Anyone have a chance to A/B these two side to side? From what I can tell the only difference is the size of the woofer. Both look like they have the same power ratings and amplifiers.
Anyone who has heard these two, can you please share your thoughts?
thanks....

I haven't compared them directly with the 2A's but having the 2.5's I can safely say that you would love them!
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

I only heard the 2 vs. 2.5's at a namm show so my opinion is not well researched but my impression from the 15 minutes was that they are very much two different sounding speakers.
the 2.5's were a bigger deeper sound and its a much bigger monitor physically.
I was tempted to switch my S3a's to 2.5's but I depend on the extra mid clarity of the 3's. the 2.5's were much more conventional sounding (read - they sound better) than the 3's but I don't choose my monitors by what sounds best - I go with what reveals the most information so i make better choices.

If you are looking at the 2's and 2.5's as if they are close to the same speaker only one is bigger - I think that not to be the case.
The 2's are great monitors. If you have the space the 2.5's will likely make you smile more often.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey thanks for that.
I currently have ADAM 2A's. Im struggling with the bass in my current setup. The mixes just keep coming up heavy bass. And now Im at the point where for me to continue to drop the bass during mixdown, Im reaching the point where its off the radar screen. I know the room has a lot to do with it and I must be mixing in a bass reduction node. Im continually working on it. Still, Im wondering if the 2.5s could give me a better opportunity
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'd try a sub (or two), by so you keep that (great imho) midrange the same and just add some weight.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
I'd try a sub (or two), by so you keep that (great imho) midrange the same and just add some weight.
ooooo.....
thats an idea....
Old 13th January 2007
Gear Head

I've had the 2a's for a couple of weeks while waiting on my 2.5a's to arrive. You're definitely going to get more lows from the 2.5's although it won't go as low as other similar sized monitors I've tried.
Although the 2's definitely lacking some low end I fell in love with them. When I got my 2.5's I went trough a rough readjustment period - going through the opening-up phase, getting used to the sound which is very different from the 2a's and finding the optimal placement. Placement is key for the ADAM's. More so then other monitors I've worked with. In my room I started loosing low end when they were spaced more then 4-5 feet (about 1.2-1.5 meters) apart. YMMV.
Old 13th January 2007
Lives for gear

Swank - what set of bass freq do you think your 2's are lacking for you ..
90-200hz or 50-90hz ???

If your mixes are bass heavy as in 100-200ish than a sub won't help you and you might need to look at other monitors altogether. Adams are very balanced in this area but its easy to over do it in there.

If your mixes are bass heavy in the 100hz and below than I'd go with adding a sub to your 2's. The 2.5s are not going to thump hard below 90hz so if thats where your excesses are than they may not help.

On my S3's I boost the low shelf on them all the way. I know they are no longer flat but it makes me happy and my mixes translate perfectly. The boost keeps me from overdoing it on the low end. But even the S3's are light on the 200-350. Its well balanced but its easy to over do it in there.

If you mixes are heavy 100-250 or even 300 I couldn't recommend genelcs 8040's 50's enough. They are really boxy in that area and alert you to any excesses immediately. I keep a set of 8040's just for this purpose.

So my big point is bass is bass but sometimes its mid bass and sometimes its sub bass. If you are lacking sub bass get a sub. If you are lacking mid bass in your monitors than you may need to change monitors.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by edham View Post
Swank - what set of bass freq do you think your 2's are lacking for you ..
90-200hz or 50-90hz ???
Good points and good post. Ya know, its probably 50-200. Or another way to say it might be everything below 200 or so. I wonder if getting the sub wont in some way support the wider frequency range of the bass. Given that there are so many ways that the bass waves are going to respond in any room. I dunno.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I feel that the 2.5s are a bit tubby for want of a better word though a lot of guys that do bass heavy material seem to really like them. The 2s are to my mind much more balanced though neither of these go low enough for my liking ... S4CAs to

I boost the low end shelf even on the S4CAs... In my room they measure flat down to about 40Hz with the boost. To my ears, the adam S range benefits from it.. It will depend on your room of course but the bass is so tight that it just doesn't feel big enough and then you are going to make your mixes bass heavy if you're not really disciplined.

but back to the S2s... Add a sub. You will get better results with 2 of course but you might also run out of budget...

My father has a pair of 2s and a Sub10 for his hi fi system... its really good... I don't particular like the Adam sub... think you can potentially do better. In any event don't filter the S2s and pull the crossover for the sub down to about 70Hz.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

So now you have two Adam owners who boost the low shelf! And I know of a couple more of us.

Now let's take this in steps.

Swank - how do your 2's sound with the 150 shelf full up ????
If that is taking care of the 100-200 area then adding a sub and letting it filter 85hz and down for you might really be a slamming system.

I agree that the adam subs disappoint. Especially since they do not have a footswitchable bypass. I'd look at the Genelc 7060. Same bread as the sub 12 (maybe less) and you get the footswitch and 5.1 filtering for ...... you know ....... that someday land of 5.1 ....... that hasn't yet materialized but is promised.

If you are tight on a budget than just try a sub if you can return it if it doesn't work out.
The 2.5s are wonderful sounding monitors. If your room and budget can handle it (and a sub) than I can't imaging you wouldn't be happy.

But if your mixes really tend to stray into excessive 200-400 - Genelec 8000 series is really an answer.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm using a genelec 7070 with the S4s below 45Hz with an external crossover...

My only issue with the Gene subs is the fixed crossover frequencies of 85 and 120 and no ability not filter the satelites on passthrough. This makes it hard to achieve ideal integration in a lot of cases. This is frustrating because they are a very good thing. True low end extension... play a 20Hz sine through the 7070 and there it is.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had my <150Hz shelf on S3A boosted up to 4dB for some time, but I thought it sucks life out of ~200Hz area that seems a bit congested then. So I backed off to +2dB and moved the speakers closer to wall and it is better. Yep, the position in the room is very important even in a basstrapped room.

What is dissapointing with adam subs? Are they bass light as S3A are ?
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Sorry fellows...

I have to but this one here... http://www.behringer.com/B2092A/ . Have any of you tried this one. The price is not very high anyhow. With footswitch also.

aapee
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had them both for testing.
Although my Control room is fairly small, I want to play it loud from time to time.
The 2.5 have indeed a better and lower bass response, but they can't keep up when kranking them up.

My solution: the S2A with the S10 Subwoofer. very happy with it
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
What is dissapointing with adam subs? Are they bass light as S3A are ?
The adam subs sound great. they just don't have a footswitchable bypass which for me is a bummer.
I don't want the sub on all the time.
I need to be able to hit a switch - turn on the sub that then and only then filters the sats. Gen subs do this. Adams don't.
Old 16th January 2007
Go with the sub!

Running five S2A's here. To me, the S2.5A isn't really the same creature. Not so good a transition between woofer and tweeter, so I'm happy to have chosen the S2A's. But I agree they need help on the bottom end. I'm running a Bag End sub, which integrates beautifully (pun intended).

I do sometimes wish I had a footswitch. I've often thought about building one myself, but never seem to get around to it. Anyone know of a commercial offering that does that function?

David L Rick
Seventh String Recording

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search