The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What console was this recorded with? Consoles
Old 16th September 2015
What console was this recorded with?

Dionne Warwick - That's What Friends Are For

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyTpu6BmE88

I love that bright-crystal like-precise-not harsh top end, AND the tight bottom! Any info welcom'ed.
Old 16th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidChampoux View Post
Dionne Warwick - That's What Friends Are For

www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyTpu6BmE88

I love that bright-crystal like-precise-not harsh top end, AND the tight bottom! Any info welcom'ed.
98% of that sound is a neumann U87 in a great sounding room.
Old 16th September 2015
I wasn't refering to the vocals only, but mostly the HiHats and Cymbals, and also the bass drum (for the low end)...
Old 16th September 2015
I know it comes from the console and also the tape recorder (could be a dash, or analog, I'm unsure).
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Seems it was done at Conway Recording Studios, Hollywood, where the A room currently has an AMS Neve 88R, but not sure what was there before that. You could ask them:
<Conway Recording Studios>
Old 16th September 2015
Hey Steph! Thanks for jumping in! And thanks for the info, I'll definitely ask them, as I like that tone pretty much!
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pencilextremist View Post
98% of that sound is a neumann U87 in a great sounding room.
Or a pair of 67's in a great sounding room.

I looked all over the net for this one and couldn't find any credits. Mick Guzauski worked on some of her stuff in the mid 80's at Conway Studios in LA. He was credited as a mixer on her next release in 1987. Dunno what room he worked out of or what they had for equipment back then.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathedral Guitar View Post
Seems it was done at Conway Recording Studios, Hollywood, where the A room currently has an AMS Neve 88R, but not sure what was there before that. You could ask them:
<Conway Recording Studios>
Ha! Beat me to it as I was writing.
Old 16th September 2015
It's a pair of 67 in the videos, but it's hard to tell from the audio... There's so many possibilities... Anyway, the heart of that sound is from the console, I'm sure about that. Could it be a Trident?
Old 17th September 2015
Gear Guru

Didn't Conway have one of the Focusrite consoles? I seem to remember some studio book with Conway on the cover...
Old 17th September 2015
Interesting!! They had it in 1985?
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search