The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hifiman HE-1000 and Audeze LCD-X Studio Headphones
Old 16th September 2015
Deleted User
Hifiman HE-1000 and Audeze LCD-X

a lot of people here (including me) prefer the combination of a good acoustics and very good speakers to high end headphones.
but there are also people (including me) who think headphones are interesting tools and we need to know about their capabilities.

as the hd1000 is new. there are a lot of pimping threads on the internet and as i don't like to get affected by hypes, i decided to buy this headphone and compare it side by side with the lcdx for myself. now i'd like to share my thoughts.

i must say, at the moment i only have the built-in headphone amp of metric halo uln8 which is not bad at all. but of course it's not as good as some high end head amp, like gsx or woo audio etc.

today is my first day with the he1000.
but i have the audeze for months.

the lcdx, as many of you know, is a relatively fast, dark, but fine sounding HP.
the midrange is not very clean, but it's fine. high end is not that open and precise, but it's okay.
the bass is great and can help in a lot of situations (not always) to find out what's going on in the low end.
imaging is not as artificially wide as sennheiser hd800. just okay. not very good.
i don't go into details as there are many threads repeating what i say, but with more interesting details.

he1000 is not veeery fast. the midrange is better that the audeze (with my amp), but not great! the highs are good, but not as i expected! (the highs from my small UM Ginkos are more precise for working. Of course they are! )
the bass is not even better than the lcdx. more higher bass precision. but lcdx has better impact in the last octave. imaging is very precise for a headphone! i've never auditioned such a precise imaging from a HP.
(edit, jan 2016: until i've listened to electrostatic JJ Float QA which is in another league)

i removed some 'dirts' from the high end and added some air (see the picture below). now the sound's much more balanced (for the first day).

it needs burn in, and
i'm quite sure a great amp can offer better high end and midrange, as i really expected spectacular mid/HF reproduction from this headphone, and i am not 100% satisfied yet. maybe 78.5%

I JUST EXPECT MORE IN THIS PRICE RANGE!!! and i think I SHOULD EXPECT MORE.
Attached Thumbnails
Hifiman HE-1000 and Audeze LCD-X-screen-shot-2015-09-16-17.40.52.jpg  

Last edited by Deleted User; 6th January 2016 at 12:10 PM..
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

burn in should do it!
Old 17th September 2015
Well it should be better for 3 grand! Damn.

How did you remove the 'dirt' from the high end?
Old 18th September 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
How did you remove the 'dirt' from the high end?
by eq, there are some relatively strong resonances around 10k, and weaker, but not totally negligible resonances around 7k. when you cut, you have still enough details. that should be good news.

i feel the uln8's amp is not a good choice of the hd1000!
when you push the volume, you get distortion.

i would say both lcdx and the he1000 with eq are killer HPs when driven by really good amps.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search