The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
high end patchbay with switches for normalling etc? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Maniac

high end patchbay with switches for normalling etc?

Hi all,

I need a new patchbay but am having trouble working out in advance exactly how I want things patched in my studio – most of the more pro-spec patchbays seem to require soldering but I had one previously that had switches on top of it to change each patch point between normalled, half normalled etc - that was a Behringer though – so my question is, can anyone recommend a patchbay that has switches like that but is totally uncompromised in regards to audio quality?
Thanks!
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Switchcraft StudioPatch 9625.
Old 15th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawk View Post
Switchcraft StudioPatch 9625.

Thanks for the tip Squawk. Signex is the brand I was looking at that requires soldering - would you say Switchcraft would be the same level of audio quality but just with this added functionality? Bit of a tricky question I know.

I'm trepidatious about bantam connectors too - just in the sense that what I had previously had quarter inch jack size and that made it easy to just plug instruments etc directly into the patchbay........... not sure if that's something I need to do often in my new setup ........... does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with situations where you want to connect things that aren't on dedicated connections to the patch bay? I was thinking of getting a xlr panel to bring all xlr inputs for mic preamps to the front of the rack - maybe I need a similar panel for quarter inch inputs?

thanks
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Bliss View Post
I was thinking of getting a xlr panel to bring all xlr inputs for mic preamps to the front of the rack - maybe I need a similar panel for quarter inch inputs?
Building up some panels can be a real time and hassle saver. Makes things nice and neat too.

FWIW, definitely not high end but I've been using a few Samson S-Patch+ bays for a few years - found out about them here on the forums. Solidly built, front panel normaling and no problems so far. Probably not what you're looking for but thought I'd throw it out there if anyone else is looking for something similar...
Old 15th September 2015
jhg
Lives for gear

Check out Bittree, they make front and internally programmable bays, with a lot of backplane options (E3, 90, DL, etc) Great patchbays, they last forever.
Old 15th September 2015
Audio accessories range are the best I've come across. I have 8 of them in my set up
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the tip Squawk. Signex is the brand I was looking at that requires soldering - would you say Switchcraft would be the same level of audio quality but just with this added functionality? Bit of a tricky question I know.

I'm trepidatious about bantam connectors too - just in the sense that what I had previously had quarter inch jack size and that made it easy to just plug instruments etc directly into the patchbay........... not sure if that's something I need to do often in my new setup ........... does anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with situations where you want to connect things that aren't on dedicated connections to the patch bay? I was thinking of getting a xlr panel to bring all xlr inputs for mic preamps to the front of the rack - maybe I need a similar panel for quarter inch inputs?

thanks
They are excellent quality. Personally I love bantam and use DB25 for most things. The fact that the switches are on the front is a big plus, something you don't normally see in other patchbays.
Old 15th September 2015
Lives for gear
Try Neutrik NPPA.

As long as the metal touches the connector, all patch bays have the same "audio quality."
Old 15th September 2015
Deleted User
Samson — S-patch plus

Switches in front so you have a visual.
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

I've put the Switchcraft Studiopatch in a few studios and it's great. No reason not to go with a TT patch bay - you can always buy or solder in some adaptors for the rare 1/4" cable that you want to plug directly in.

I will say (having designed, installed, soldered, and neatly labeled many a patch bay in pro studios) that you definitely want to have a very clear plan when putting together your patch bay that answer any questions of normalling before you place the order for the patch bays. While other parts of the studio may be influenced by creativity and aesthetic concerns, the patch bay comes down to pure, objective logic and efficiency and there is always one design that will work better than any other. Like any math equation, I believe that it's best being worked out on paper on not subjected to trail and error. Happy to help if you want to let me (us) know what you're dealing with.
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior View Post
Quote:
I was thinking of getting a xlr panel to bring all xlr inputs for mic preamps to the front of the rack - maybe I need a similar panel for quarter inch inputs?
Building up some panels can be a real time and hassle saver. Makes things nice and neat too.

FWIW, definitely not high end but I've been using a few Samson S-Patch+ bays for a few years - found out about them here on the forums. Solidly built, front panel normaling and no problems so far. Probably not what you're looking for but thought I'd throw it out there if anyone else is looking for something similar...
Thanks Junior - Did you buy the panel of 1/4 inch inputs or make it up?
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

I wish that were true. I just returned a cheap Neutrik patchbay and got a 9625. The Neutrik was the worst of thing I have ever bought. Some of the connections were stronger than others. Sometimes if you push the cables in, it changes the configuration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew View Post
Try Neutrik NPPA.

As long as the metal touches the connector, all patch bays have the same "audio quality."
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllBread View Post
I've put the Switchcraft Studiopatch in a few studios and it's great. No reason not to go with a TT patch bay - you can always buy or solder in some adaptors for the rare 1/4" cable that you want to plug directly in.

I will say (having designed, installed, soldered, and neatly labeled many a patch bay in pro studios) that you definitely want to have a very clear plan when putting together your patch bay that answer any questions of normalling before you place the order for the patch bays. While other parts of the studio may be influenced by creativity and aesthetic concerns, the patch bay comes down to pure, objective logic and efficiency and there is always one design that will work better than any other. Like any math equation, I believe that it's best being worked out on paper on not subjected to trail and error. Happy to help if you want to let me (us) know what you're dealing with.

Thanks Allbread! That's really cool of you to offer. You're right though, I haven't been able to quite think how I want to do it in a definitive way so that's why I was thinking of getting a patch bay with switches - and go trial and error ....... but you've given me pause!
I'm trying to do a hybrid ITB + Outboard and Summing mixer approach - but looking at using the summing mixer to make stems (ie. drum mix, backing vocals, etc depending on the requirements of the song) - but probably not using it for final summing of the stems as I like to be able to go to mastering with the pro tools session open, giving me the chance to make changes in the mastering room, using it's monitoring and the advice of the mastering engineer............... anyway, so I have a Prism Orpheus interface - 8 ins & 8 outs - but no separate monitor out. The summing mixer is a Thermionic Culture fat bustard - 12 into 2 - it has stereo outs but also monitor outs so maybe when mixing on that I can use all of the orpheus' outs for signals into the summing box rather than having to use 2 of them for monitoring .... might have to get a 2nd Orpheus down the track. ok, apart from the 4 mic pres on the Orpheus I have a tube pre and a 1073 and 4 API pres .... I want the option of using all the pres as both mics pres but also for running signal out of DAW at line level then into the pres - so I need a patching set up that allows for that - with line attenuators for the mercury tube pre and the api pres to bring the line level signal down to mic level - the 1073 has a line input. Also on the set are tape echoes - a roland SRE555 which can take line level - but also an echo plex that needs.... a reamping box? .......... And I need to be able to do actual re-amping also. Other effects are a Lexicon 224 - which is XLR ins/outs and a Lexicon pcm70 which is quarter inch mono in stereo out. Roland stereo flanger 2ins and 2 outs line level. I need to add a stereo analogue phaser when I find one and an Eventide H3000 .... and some kind of stereo analogue filter, maybe a mutronics mutator. And a spring or plate reverb. That will be it for outboard fx I think. - Outboard eq is 4 x api and need to decide on a stereo passive pultec type - but it'll be 2 in 2 out. Outboard compressors are an LA2A - one in one out - and a valley people dynamite 2 in/ 2 out. 1176 2 in and 2 out .... bus compressor I have not decided on yet .... quite a few pieces of the puzzle still missing as you can see. Apart from that there's an ASr10 hardware sampler - 2 in and 2 out on 1/4" jack and the following keyboards I need to be able to monitor and track - 1. Oberheim OBXA 2. Solina string ensemble . 3. Roland Vp330 4. Moog Source 5. Roland Juno106 and 6. DX7 ... also have a drum machine which is 4 x 1/4inch jack outputs.
That's kind of it I think - trying to get a workflow out of that which will involve a lot of going in and out of the DAW. I like to track things pretty neutral - probably no eq, no compression, no fx and then do all sorts of options with signal looping out of the daw into outboard and back with final assembly in the DAW then mastering from the DAW.
Any thoughts greatly appreciated!! The part I'm a bit vague on is using the mic pres as mic pres then later as line level inputs - I think I need to bring all mic inputs onto a xlr input panel on the front of the rack - but then wondering how best to set up the attenuators recieving line level from the daw that will then need to go into those xlr mic pre inputs?

I probably need to make a more definitive list of the number and type of inputs and outputs first right? (I'm actually not in my lab now so am hazy on a few of them - and some pieces I haven't bought yet etc) At any rate it's helpful to even write it out as a first draft as above - so thanks for prompting me to do that !
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Audio accessories range are the best I've come across. I have 8 of them in my set up
Thanks! am checking them out now
Old 16th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhg View Post
Check out Bittree, they make front and internally programmable bays, with a lot of backplane options (E3, 90, DL, etc) Great patchbays, they last forever.

This looks good - thanks jhg! - which model did you go for?
Old 16th September 2015
jhg
Lives for gear

Quote:
This looks good - thanks jhg! - which model did you go for?
A lot of the B96 bays, 969, 968 series, some video bays; you can really configure the bay how you need it. I even had one built for an installation that we put serial control for the video deck, audio and video signals all in one 2 RU bay!
Old 16th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks Junior - Did you buy the panel of 1/4 inch inputs or make it up?
I just bought the patch panels and wired the connectors up. Any old A/V supply should have what you need.

Or, you could hire somebody to do the wiring up for you... I know Redco and others do custom panels, FWIW. Good luck with everything!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search