The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NEVE 88rlb Users?
Old 11th September 2015
NEVE 88rlb Users?

how do you like this preamp? on vocals? since there is a lot of competition in the 500 series and the they are priced competitively RND 511, Focusrite red 1, etc etc. is it worth paying more for this pre?

is it a more modern sound? would love to hear some samples. does it sound identical to the big brother console. any major records that tracked/mixed on 88r, that i can check out? im sure there is a lot out there.

im looking to buy a killer preamp for the 500 series.

Last edited by 141550; 11th September 2015 at 10:06 PM..
Old 17th September 2015
Well, I mean, it's essentially the same preamp as the one in the 88R/88RS boards, in which THAT preamp was an updated version of the preamp in the V/VR/VXS boards.

The sound (not the topology so much) is almost akin to a higher quality Focusrite ISA. It's clear without being clinical (i.e. SSL), in addition to being warm without being too aggressive (i.e. API).

It is a whole different ball game than a 1073/1272-style preamp, but still a fantastic sounding mic amp.

Al Schmitt swears by them, and I've heard some of his more recent records, recorded/mixed on 88R/VR, respectively. Absolutely stunning, and while one can say that it is mostly the technique as opposed to the gear, well, I'm sure a Behringer, shall we say, wouldn't ADD anything to HIS sound. As well as the fact that this is GEAR-slootz.

IMO the Focusrite RED is kind of in between an ISA and a 1272-style preamp. The 511 is, to my ears, a tad bit cleaner than the 88RLB, until you engage 'silk' on the 511.

Just my 2¢.
Old 17th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by unmasked truth View Post
how do you like this preamp? on vocals? since there is a lot of competition in the 500 series and the they are priced competitively RND 511, Focusrite red 1, etc etc. is it worth paying more for this pre?

is it a more modern sound? would love to hear some samples. does it sound identical to the big brother console. any major records that tracked/mixed on 88r, that i can check out? im sure there is a lot out there.

im looking to buy a killer preamp for the 500 series.
about a year ago, I was looking at the exact same preamp, and ended up getting an RND 511, I definitely don't regret it one bit, it even makes cheap and nasty mics sound sweet, put a great mic through it and it sounds better than the source, it's an amazing preamp, plus having a really useful HPF and silk is the icing on the cake, it never sounds harsh.
Old 17th September 2015
wow great info. out of curiosity when you say its higher quality isa, did mr. neve had any part of designing this or is that an ams neve design?

any albums tracked/mixed on 88r, any major ones? i can check out online.. i understand its technique, i got good source/mic, just need nice pre, i think i might grab this..

how would you compare this to 511 with silk engage? any similarities or they just different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by u47u67u87 View Post
Well, I mean, it's essentially the same preamp as the one in the 88R/88RS boards, in which THAT preamp was an updated version of the preamp in the V/VR/VXS boards.

The sound (not the topology so much) is almost akin to a higher quality Focusrite ISA. It's clear without being clinical (i.e. SSL), in addition to being warm without being too aggressive (i.e. API).

It is a whole different ball game than a 1073/1272-style preamp, but still a fantastic sounding mic amp.

Al Schmitt swears by them, and I've heard some of his more recent records, recorded/mixed on 88R/VR, respectively. Absolutely stunning, and while one can say that it is mostly the technique as opposed to the gear, well, I'm sure a Behringer, shall we say, wouldn't ADD anything to HIS sound. As well as the fact that this is GEAR-slootz.

IMO the Focusrite RED is kind of in between an ISA and a 1272-style preamp. The 511 is, to my ears, a tad bit cleaner than the 88RLB, until you engage 'silk' on the 511.

Just my 2¢.
Old 17th September 2015
Quote:
wow great info. out of curiosity when you say its higher quality isa, did mr. neve had any part of designing this or is that an ams neve design? . . . how would you compare this to 511 with silk engage? any similarities or they just different.
Rupert himself had nothing to do with the design of the 88R. It was, indeed, and AMS Neve design. However, the ISA WAS, in fact, Rupert's design, but what I'm referring to is not the original Neve ISA 110/85110, but the modern Focusrite 'made in china' ISA One, Two, 428, and 828. While those are still good sounding preamps in any case, the 88RLB has a definite edge over them.

Without silk engaged, the 511 is (slightly) cleaner than the 88RLB. With silk engaged, you can color whatever sound you want. If there is an upside to the 511, this would be it, but the 511 is NOT a bad sounding pre at all.

Quote:
any albums tracked/mixed on 88r, any major ones? i can check out online.. i understand its technique, i got good source/mic, just need nice pre, i think i might grab this..
Basically any Al Schmitt record made after 2001 (for the 88R).

Star Wars Scores Ep. 1 (VR), 2 (88R?), and 3 (88R for sure).

Any major film score recorded in Hollywood after 2010-2011, I think. A lot of stages were reluctant to change to the 88R until the 88RS came out (for scoring).

I think there was a time when JJP stayed at United (formerly OceanWay Hollywood) Studio A, with a Focusrite console, then moved to Studio D that had an 88R in it.

Well there are probably a million more, but my memory is a bit hazy right now.
Old 19th September 2015
Lives for gear

I've used the 88R preamps a lot, they're great. I'll consider a pair of 88RLBs when I get my next 500rack.
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Addict

the 88 is a nice sounding pre with one of the best lowcuts available for the 500 system.
it is definitel more on the brighter cleaner sideof things compared to 1073 or Tubetech or modern UA 610. If interested everybody should compare it to at least one bigger sounding pre, imho. while I did a phantastic sounding record with a singer and a soundelux e47 on the 88 a while ago, it didn't do any magic on any other singer with the same mike in the following months. My AML ez1073-500 and my Purple Biz always won the shootout, esp. with female singers! I know the RND pres, and they are definitely great, too. Also the vintage Focusrite Red aint bad, but rather brighter. An original Focusrite ISA110 module or the later 19" ISA 115 is amongst my alltime favs for instruments. But, there are only two preamps available that can make a mediocre mic sound bigger, imho, and those are not 500 series for sure: Tube Tech MP1 and Chandler Redd.37.
Old 19th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post
there are only two preamps available that can make a mediocre mic sound bigger, imho, and those are not 500 series for sure: Tube Tech MP1 and Chandler Redd.37.
i was looking into the tube tech pm1a but its extremely expensive and i was wondering to myself if its really worth it too spend all that money on a preamp.
Old 19th September 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
i was looking into the tube tech pm1a but its extremely expensive and i was wondering to myself if its really worth it too spend all that money on a preamp.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4eg2rm8fx...-2444.wav?dl=0
I recorded a dw nick mason icon snare drum (sorry, I'm no drummer!).
Vintage U87 > preamps > Lynx Aurora 16 (24bits 44,1kHz, Antelope 10M clock).
I know, it says nothing, as I didn't have the time to be exact with gains and playing details...
Just to get a taste of the different flavours and textures...

I played 4 bars 4/4 @ 120bpm with each pre and then I switch to the next.

Preamp order is:

AMS Neve 1073LB (API 10-slot-rack)
AMS Neve 88RS (API 10-slot-rack)
AML ez1073-500 (API 10-slot-rack)
Chandler TG2-500 (API 10-slot-rack)
Helios 500-69 (API 10-slot-rack)
Chandler Redd.37
Tube Tech MP1A
UA 2-610

Have phun! :-)
Old 19th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-hiho View Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4eg2rm8fx...-2444.wav?dl=0
I recorded a dw nick mason icon snare drum (sorry, I'm no drummer!).
Vintage U87 > preamps > Lynx Aurora 16 (24bits 44,1kHz, Antelope 10M clock).
I know, it says nothing, as I didn't have the time to be exact with gains and playing details...
Just to get a taste of the different flavours and textures...

I played 4 bars 4/4 @ 120bpm with each pre and then I switch to the next.

Preamp order is:

AMS Neve 1073LB (API 10-slot-rack)
AMS Neve 88RS (API 10-slot-rack)
AML ez1073-500 (API 10-slot-rack)
Chandler TG2-500 (API 10-slot-rack)
Helios 500-69 (API 10-slot-rack)
Chandler Redd.37
Tube Tech MP1A
UA 2-610

Have phun! :-)
thanks for the post, wow, u have great preamps selections.

its very hard to tell difference with just one track. now if they were many tracks stacked or a song, then im guessing the difference might be more.

if you make more files, do let me hear the difference.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search