The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Trinnov Users Digital Converters
Old 19th February 2019
Lives for gear

Good stuff, look forward to your thoughts.
Old 24th February 2019
Lives for gear

With my luck when I buy this thing, they will release some USB/thunderbolt/PCIe version with plugin integration (UAD/PoCo style) for a fraction of the cost.
Old 24th February 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
With my luck when I buy this thing, they will release some USB/thunderbolt/PCIe version with plugin integration (UAD/PoCo style) for a fraction of the cost.
lol I don't think there's anything outside of a Linux OS in the works based on what ive heard, but I would try to buy used if possible.

I might be selling mine soon since the Dutch 8c's can correct themselves.
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

I've been watching used marked for a year now and besides mabye some bigger multichannel units there were no good deals. All too close to the new price.

My monitors have a bit of cardioid polar pattern (-10dB at the back if I remember correctly). That's nice, but my room isn't symetrical and it's not as big as I'd like. So I thought maybe trinnov would help until I can afford some nice room. If that's even possible in today's real estate situation, hopefully we're heading into some economic crisis sooner than later and real estate prices fall considerably .
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
...My monitors have a bit of cardioid polar pattern (-10dB at the back if I remember correctly)...
could you be a bit more specific? - that seems to be anywhere between a very vague (and somewhat misleading if not wrong) description and what naturally occurs (more directional behaviour towards the hf)...
Old 25th February 2019
Lives for gear

I didn't want to bring more brands to the thread to keep things more focused on the thread theme, but if you want to know look under the acoustic diagrams tab: musikelectronic geithain gmbh - RL 901K
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Too bad they only sell them through Vintage King.
Same with Barefoot only Vintage King so I bought some more Genelec's instead.
I really don't understand why companies do stuff like that - they are seriously limiting their customer base.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchcraft View Post

1) Check the meters page and make sure your correction filter is not pushing your signal past FS. If it is, check the room correction EQ and look at the maximum gain applied by the correction filter. If the unit is adding 6dB of LF gain to correct the room the Trinnov will be adding EQ in the digital domain and possibly pushing it past full scale. I attenuated the input to the unit (in the processor - inputs page) by a few dB more than the filter gain applied (9dB). When feeding full scale audio the meters will now longer show internal clipping. If you are a mastering engineer or a mixing engineer working with FS sound you will be listening reconstructed clipping if you do not attenuate the input. Keep in mind that if you are using a calibrated monitoring system the input attenuation will throw off your calibration.

Hi Ryan, quick heads up - I've been speaking to Trinnov support about the output clipping. They said that due to being 64 bit floating point it doesn't matter how you attenuate as it's not clipping internally (32 bit FP has 1500+ dB of DR if I recall correctly, 64 is even higher).

They recommended the master (monitor) control rather than the input. I don't like seeing that meter in the red though!
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0se View Post
Hi Ryan, quick heads up - I've been speaking to Trinnov support about the output clipping. They said that due to being 64 bit floating point it doesn't matter how you attenuate as it's not clipping internally (32 bit FP has 1500+ dB of DR if I recall correctly, 64 is even higher).

They recommended the master (monitor) control rather than the input. I don't like seeing that meter in the red though!
That makes sense. Digital attenuation is the same wherever it is done, but I prefer to leave the monitor at zero and attenuate by the amount that the Trinnov process applies gain. '6 or a half dozen' or however that saying goes.
Old 27th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
That makes sense. Digital attenuation is the same wherever it is done, but I prefer to leave the monitor at zero and attenuate by the amount that the Trinnov process applies gain. '6 or a half dozen' or however that saying goes.
I've opted to do the same.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

I went to visit my friend yesterday. He has a nice mid sized room in the attic. Treated with tons of realtraps and some DIY addons. Not really symetric thogh. Tight waterfall graphs, no obvious boomy frequencies, but there is some weak null around 80hz at the sweetspot.
He bought Trinnov ST2 Pro about a year ago and never turned it off since.

He uses full range correction, because it corrects the hf rolloff of his Quested V3110 in an useful way. The correction range was set to -6 to +6dB. Trinnov DAs.

At first I wanted to hear how it feels mixing with it, no a/b, just if I can hear any artefacts or weirdness. The answer is no, without a/b I wouldn't be able to say I'm listening to a signal that has been modified with complex filters. It didn't felt EQd at all. The real test of this is going to be when I set it up at my place, of course. But so far so good.

Now comes the part where I hit the bypass button on the trinnov control panel. The difference was scary with V3110. Surprisingly Barefoot Footprint01 placed in more nearfield position wasn't that drastic, boxy lowmid bump vanished, bass evened out and deepened. Like taking loudspeaker IR off the masterbuss. Quested went from very midrangy NS10s on steroids to impressive mains. I don't know what to think about such a heavy lifting, but I much prefered trinnoved questeds to raw ones in that room.

It looks like a good investment until I can build a new room. Unfortunatelly real estate prices rn are racing higher faster than I can earn money. It's crazy.
Old 28th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
I went to visit my friend yesterday. He has a nice mid sized room in the attic. Treated with tons of realtraps and some DIY addons. Not really symetric thogh. Tight waterfall graphs, no obvious boomy frequencies, but there is some weak null around 80hz at the sweetspot.
He bought Trinnov ST2 Pro about a year ago and never turned it off since.

He uses full range correction, because it corrects the hf rolloff of his Quested V3110 in an useful way. The correction range was set to -6 to +6dB. Trinnov DAs.

At first I wanted to hear how it feels mixing with it, no a/b, just if I can hear any artefacts or weirdness. The answer is no, without a/b I wouldn't be able to say I'm listening to a signal that has been modified with complex filters. It didn't felt EQd at all. The real test of this is going to be when I set it up at my place, of course. But so far so good.

Now comes the part where I hit the bypass button on the trinnov control panel. The difference was scary with V3110. Surprisingly Barefoot Footprint01 placed in more nearfield position wasn't that drastic, boxy lowmid bump vanished, bass evened out and deepened. Like taking loudspeaker IR off the masterbuss. Quested went from very midrangy NS10s on steroids to impressive mains. I don't know what to think about such a heavy lifting, but I much prefered trinnoved questeds to raw ones in that room.

It looks like a good investment until I can build a new room. Unfortunatelly real estate prices rn are racing higher faster than I can earn money. It's crazy.
Not to derail the thread, but you can also try Acourate and even if you build a separate PC for running Acourate and transmitting digital signal it turns out cheaper than Trinnov. I haven't tested Acourate so cannot speak with any certainty, but according to the reviews it might even beat Trinnov in the quality of the processing. Definitely it does beat it price-wise.
Old 28th February 2019
mpr
Lives for gear

Quote:
At first I wanted to hear how it feels mixing with it, no a/b, just if I can hear any artefacts or weirdness. The answer is no, without a/b I wouldn't be able to say I'm listening to a signal that has been modified with complex filters. It didn't felt EQd at all.
I agree, the only way I could lock onto the Trinnov artifacts (when boosts and cuts are -+ 6dB) was by ABing with the bypass a few times, and then "oh there's a tiny ring there and some transients seem a touch soft compared to the bypass". But nothing that will get in the way while working, nor will it affect your translation which is a beautiful thing.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I am still loving my Trinnov. I am using it with Kiis and running 100% digital from my HD system through the trinnov and to the Kiis. The digital output -> speaker monitoring is a game changer for me because it removes all possibility of artifacts between my session and speakers. I recently put an AES switcher in front of the trinnov and really enhanced the workflow.
https://www.markertek.com/product/he...SABEgKYJvD_BwE
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
How many positions are you using ?

So when calibrating how many mic positions are you using? I am planning to do a calibration soon and this time I will try 5. A square around my head and one in the middle. The one in the middle will have the heaviest weighting.

Now I wonder exactly what do the numbers mean where you weight each calibration. I mean is 1 less weighted than 2?
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
I am still loving my Trinnov. I am using it with Kiis and running 100% digital from my HD system through the trinnov and to the Kiis. The digital output -> speaker monitoring is a game changer for me because it removes all possibility of artifacts between my session and speakers. I recently put an AES switcher in front of the trinnov and really enhanced the workflow.
https://www.markertek.com/product/he...SABEgKYJvD_BwE
Loving the (fully digital/AES) Trinnov Kii combo here also. Delighted with the purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Freeland View Post
So when calibrating how many mic positions are you using? I am planning to do a calibration soon and this time I will try 5. A square around my head and one in the middle. The one in the middle will have the heaviest weighting.

Now I wonder exactly what do the numbers mean where you weight each calibration. I mean is 1 less weighted than 2?
My Trinnov rep said if you listen from the same spot, one is all you need.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Loving the (fully digital/AES) Trinnov Kii combo here also. Delighted with the purchase.

My Trinnov rep said if you listen from the same spot, one is all you need.
Yeah been on one spot for the setup for a while just would like to experiment. I guess one spot would be tighter than a few averaged together.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah been on one spot for the setup for a while just would like to experiment. I guess one spot would be tighter than a few averaged together.
Indeed, the multiple calibrations are intended for multiple listeners.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Well if you have a look at the Amethyst (uses same DRC engine) manual, there is an example calibration guide showing one person in the middle of a small square of points. But to be honest just doing one spot appeals as less to go wrong.

I wonder if I would like the Kiis better than my ATCs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well if you have a look at the Amethyst (uses same DRC engine) manual, there is an example calibration guide showing one person in the middle of a small square of points. But to be honest just doing one spot appeals as less to go wrong.

I wonder if I would like the Kiis better than my ATCs.
The rep mentioned he'd recently been using multiple calibration points to optimise a home cinema of 8 chairs. We're taking meters, rather than centimeters. I'd stick with one unless you're having issues.

Having said that, no harm in trying :-)

Which ATCs do you have?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
The rep mentioned he'd recently been using multiple calibration points to optimise a home cinema of 8 chairs. We're taking meters, rather than centimeters. I'd stick with one unless you're having issues.

Having said that, no harm in trying :-)

Which ATCs do you have?
Ha yeah they sell 64 channel licences for setting up cinemas.
ATCs are ASL20s active pro or whatever they call them. Don't think anything bigger would really help in this space. I am only running one sub a Focal CMS. Looking for another. Love the ATCs the combo of those and the Trinnov freaks clients out. One guy claimed they had partially cured his tinnitus!

So just did a 5 point vs 1 point calibration and to be honest there is hardly a difference. In the guide the points were very close and they mention not doing it too wide and deep.

Addictive. Just been listening to loads of reference tracks instead of working. Fascinating to listen like this.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
...or averaging of multiple measurements: recommended for eq, not recommended for phase
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ha yeah they sell 64 channel licences for setting up cinemas.
ATCs are ASL20s active pro or whatever they call them. Don't think anything bigger would really help in this space. I am only running one sub a Focal CMS. Looking for another. Love the ATCs the combo of those and the Trinnov freaks clients out. One guy claimed they had partially cured his tinnitus!

So just did a 5 point vs 1 point calibration and to be honest there is hardly a difference. In the guide the points were very close and they mention not doing it too wide and deep.

Addictive. Just been listening to loads of reference tracks instead of working. Fascinating to listen like this.
Yes it's highly addictive, I spend hours upon hours listening in a state of joy. Music is soul food.

My room is not optimal so the Kii's, and now ST2, have been revelatory. I did also try the ATC 20s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
...or averaging of multiple measurements: recommended for eq, not recommended for phase
Very good point! Hadn't even considered that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search