The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic options for Bassman Condenser Microphones
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

Mic options for Bassman

Would love to find out mic options for recording mostly clean Gtrs with many some occasional crunch.
Also if anyone uses these for Rhodes or Bass, would love to know the mics used.
This baby is a 50s piece.
Thanks
Clarence
Old 8th September 2015
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Would love to find out mic options for recording mostly clean Gtrs with many some occasional crunch.
Also if anyone uses these for Rhodes or Bass, would love to know the mics used.
This baby is a 50s piece.
Thanks
Clarence
Not to hijack, but am following this thread for similar use, i.e., mics for a 1959 Bandmaster. These old tweed Fenders . . . ah, so good.

As for playing a bass through a 50's Bassman 4x10 combo, I am sure it would sound nice. But if you have the original Jensen 10" speakers in that combo amp I would be concerned about blowing them if they are pushed very hard with a bass. (Speaking from experience, I had to replace a Jensen 10" in a friend's tweed amp after I played bass through it for less than an hour.) Replacing or re-coning the original Jensens is not cheap. YMMV.

Last edited by Robal; 8th September 2015 at 10:34 PM..
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

If it were me I'd experiment with what I have, to start with, and probably first with my MD441 (which I like with so many things). I imagine an Audix i5 may sound good too.
Old 8th September 2015
Lives for gear

409 or Royer for me. Sometimes a m160 is the ticket
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Guru

+1 on the M160, or a Fathead. Ribbons are great on tweeds. e906, 4/509, M201, or M88 also all work. Try any LDC a bit out in the room, and you can make some big spacious noises. I've liked my Gefell UM70S for guitar amp duty at times, especially on really articilate amps. Then there's micing it off the back corner, which sometimes gets a woody, 'knocking' hit to it. I don't think anyone can explain why, but some do it.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

I have a 1965 Fender Twin that sounds best when mic'd a few feet out in front with my old Sennheiser MD441 on a kick mic stand and pointed up towards the top of the amp. Gets the full amp tone, a tad bit of room, but since the mic is hyper cardioid it won't pick up much else around it.

I think it's actually kinda hard to get a bad sound from these old tube amps especially when going clean or just slightly driven.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

My go to has become a Lauten Atlantis for electric guitars.
Gentle setting with the -10db pad engaged.
Mic about a foot away from the speaker but pointed right at it.
Old 9th September 2015
Here for the gear

For mostly clean to overdrive........
Out of my personal locker I would try.....
AEA R84
Flea 47
Peluso P67
Coles 4038
EV RE20
Shure SM7b

In any order.......

How much detail do you want?
How much ambience from the room do you want?
Old 9th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Electrovoice RE-20 through a sebatron vmp4000E. Right near the cone , off-centre of course.
-15db pad

Magic.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

For bass and also for clean guitar, try a D12E on the outer area of the cone, with a KM84 pointed directly at the dome. Blend to taste (hint only a little of the KM84 is needed).

For overdriven guitar, similar setup, but swap out the KM85 for an MD441 and move it a little off-center.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

44BX. You wont even have to compress it.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Wow so far not one sm57
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

I like a SM7 with my transformer mod plus a cheap off brand ribon mic I got off of the bay for $50 it called " lolipop ribbon mic" in the description, but I think it was a nady or the company who made it for them. any ways the sm7 on axis plus the ribbon mic down to the left, down and back a little between the center of the cone and the edge of the cabinet.
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramism View Post
Wow so far not one sm57
sm57 is my second favorite and never a bad option
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

One of my favorite mic combos for this is a royer 122 and km84. Play around with the positioning but the royerr is great at capturing the warmth and depth while the 84 captures a little more room and sparkle depending on placement.
Old 9th September 2015
Here for the gear

I rarely like the sm57 on guitar amps, although occasionally it works great. In my experience, on a vintage amp such as a fifties bassman with four x ten inch alnico speakers, a 57 on the cone is going to accentuate frequencies which make the tone too heavy in the uppermids......insert ice pick directly into ear drum. The heavily pre equalized sound of the 57 would bring out the opposite of what I would want from that amp. Especially with a strat, tele, or p90 equipped Gibson. I think that for an amp with that much mojo you are going to wanna capture the sound of the pine cabinet and its resonance as well as the speaker itself. If the room sounds good as well, and you want a touch of ambience.....(I usually do) I would start off with an R84 about 12 inches in front of the amp, angled down slightly if you can feel air, centered between the middle of the cab set up horizontally. This is assuming the amp is being played at volume levels that will keep up with a drummer......which it should be played at to sound its best. If that is too dark for the mix, I might try instead the u47 in omni, vertically placed and about the same distance and location from the amp. If you really just want the sound from one ten inch speaker, not the room or the cab and four speakers......I would agree with RUSCO on the RE20......regardless of sebatron.....any good preamp will work.
P.S. You might want to use a popscreen if you are going to be diming the amp, for a nice overdriven tone. Protect your mics if you are concerned about air blasts......primarily the ribbon mic. The RE20 and 47 should be safe either way.

Last edited by DRR1981; 9th September 2015 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: Typo correction
Old 9th September 2015
Lives for gear

royer r121. coles have great tone too, but when a bassman is set loud enough to matter a 4038 will begin to fold.

i too, never like the sm57 when getting guitar tones. once i put it in the mix, however, that bad boy just fits sooooo nice.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRR1981 View Post
I rarely like the sm57 on guitar amps, although occasionally it works great. In my experience, on a vintage amp such as a fifties bassman with four x ten inch alnico speakers, a 57 on the cone is going to accentuate frequencies which make the tone too heavy in the uppermids......insert ice pick directly into ear drum. The heavily pre equalized sound of the 57 would bring out the opposite of what I would want from that amp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine Misner View Post
I too, never like the sm57 when getting guitar tones. once i put it in the mix, however, that bad boy just fits sooooo nice.
+1. The SM57 is pretty far from my favorite mic. But when it works, it works. It's an iconic sound. No reason not to use it when appropriate. There are others I'd prefer on an old Tweed.
Old 10th September 2015
Gear Maniac

Akg d12e for a more vintage sound
Beyer m88 for a fat and thick sound
Or blue mouse for a fat modern sound
Old 10th September 2015
I second the 57, 121 and sometimes 421.

Here's a vid discussing placement with Sir Ross Hogarth. gl

Old 10th September 2015
AKG 414 a foot back. I've also used some microphone parts ck-12 capsules in donor mics, excellent for Fender amps, no EQ, cut and run.
Old 10th September 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks Jim really appreciate you chiming in. Any thoughts on C12VR for this application?
Old 11th September 2015
Beyer m160 would be my first choice here or Royer r121 if I had access to one
Old 11th September 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Thanks Jim really appreciate you chiming in. Any thoughts on C12VR for this application?
I've tried those, very nasel with a funny top end boost = didn't like it nor the flat capsule version called "The Tube".

Check out old SRV recordings, you see 414's on the cabs.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Maniac

On my bassman I like a 441 for low end and punch in combo with Beyer m260 for silky top end and magical mids, both three-four inches away from the grill on different elements. For som reason the 260 works better than a 160. Add a UM70 or an 87 a foot or two into the room for depth and dimension. The UM70 if you want sparkly and the 87 if you want thick.

That should cover all your needs come mix time.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Maniac

For guitar, that is. On bass, usually a Jazz Bass with flats, my go to's are an RE20 or a M88 close, with a CMV/M7 a bit back. The CMV is usually the loudest in the mix.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
royer r121. coles have great tone too, but when a bassman is set loud enough to matter a 4038 will begin to fold.

i too, never like the sm57 when getting guitar tones. once i put it in the mix, however, that bad boy just fits sooooo nice.
57 and the Coles is a good combo .. my Coles never folds (as long as you have a windscreen in front of it) .. 2 feet back it captures some nice Room with that lovely Fig 8 and big ribbon ..

or try a royer 121 .. also very nice .. i am a ribbon fan myself .. can you tell
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
57 and the Coles is a good combo .. my Coles never folds (as long as you have a windscreen in front of it) .. 2 feet back it captures some nice Room with that lovely Fig 8 and big ribbon ..

or try a royer 121 .. also very nice .. i am a ribbon fan myself .. can you tell

2 feet back... i consider that a room mic instead of a spot mic. dont get me wrong i LOVE the coles on guitar amps, they just cant take the volume of the higher powered fenders.
Old 11th September 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
2 feet back... i consider that a room mic instead of a spot mic. dont get me wrong i LOVE the coles on guitar amps, they just cant take the volume of the higher powered fenders.
sorry, i must have missed that the OP said Spot Mic somewhere .. the 57 would be the Spot in this case with the 4038 as a Semi room mic as you say .. sorry to hear your cannot take the louder volumes .. mine can take that all day .. cheers john
Old 11th September 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
sorry, i must have missed that the OP said Spot Mic somewhere .. the 57 would be the Spot in this case with the 4038 as a Semi room mic as you say .. sorry to hear your cannot take the louder volumes .. mine can take that all day .. cheers john

easy there, big guy. i would love to hear your 4038 in front of a dimed tweed bassman. even at 2 ft i doubt that it would hold up and i believe that my experience is a shared one.

as far as room mics... Love them, use them all them time. they aren't my main pickup and i would nix a room mic before the spot
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search